• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford tells dealers to PAUSE EV investments while it alters certification program

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
One of the reasons (ok, the second reason after "I can't afford a $100K truck") that I did not buy a Rivian was the service center model. They are in Seattle and don't have the best reviews. My local Ford dealer doesn't have great reviews but they are 7 miles away. I see a lot of Rivians around, though, so it must work for people even out here (or they are all tourists.)

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
That is a good guess. This is my first EV, I have been reading a lot about them. From what I’ve heard Tesla makes decent batteries with few issues.
It also could be that Farley is going to have more separation if the EV business. Maybe set up EV only dealers. As long as we can get them with a decent driving distance for maintenance or if the majority of work could be completed by mobile service it might work better in our favor. A dealership full of salesmen and techs that want to sale and service EVs would be better than we have now. And the Tesla/Rivian model of service centers seems to be working alright. However I did choose ford because of the dealer network and ability to go to any dealer if I have an issue. But we shall see.
I was thinking all the numbers for cost of replacing these battery modules and providing transportation to the owner must be starting to add up for Ford. The hot mess of software management must be another topic of concern.

Ford like many other big manufacturers usually find companies that make good products (Transmission, tires,....) and put them together and sell them. When it comes to EVs, Tesla has been making good software (FSD aside) and generally good hardware integration to that software. Farley seem to have good relationship with Elon and Elon is starting to have growth problem with Tesla.

Farley has to show EV business can be viable. If Elon says we can take care of your headaches at reduced cost, I wouldn’t be shocked if Farley said yes. They are already depending on third party manufacturers many of which are not American for everything. What is wrong with depending on an American company.

That said, I am not looking forward to paying $15K to Tesla for a used pack with 1 year warranty when mine goes bad 9 years down the road. But if their batting average for longevity is significantly better, I would go for it.

I am not sure if there is a reliable third party comparing frequency of battery issues between different manufacturers. It would be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
all Tesla had to do was build an f-150 clone but nooooooooo....
I think they would have been more successful with a Maverick sized truck. That would sell more trucks worldwide than an American full sized truck.

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I think they would have been more successful with a Maverick sized truck. That would sell more trucks worldwide than an American full sized truck.
2023 f150 sales were close to 600k vs 100k maverick vs 230k tacoma sales.

1/2 ton is the way to go.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

Tesla likes selling the same model around the world. How many F-150's were sold outside North America?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Tesla likes selling the same model around the world. How many F-150's were sold outside North America?
the cybertruck can't be sold elsewhere due to pedestrian collision rules. it was built for North America (mainly). anyway this is getting off topic.

ford has been doing a lot of backpedaling lately. especially disappointed they haven't gone anywhere with the direct sales model. certify your techs, train your sales people and start heavily discounting and moving these trucks! where the hell are the '24's at? LFP LFP LFP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
all Tesla had to do was build an f-150 clone but nooooooooo....
Tesla definitely could have made it easier on themselves. Enlarge the platform of an exisiting line, throw a truck bed on it, double the batteries for range (a la GM). Instead they decided on a radical product that they could have worked up to later on.

Smaller may or may not have worked, but the reason I couldn't go with Rivian is that it was much smaller than the F150. That and I placed some trust in that there's Ford dealerships in most places I travel to that can hopefully help in case of trouble as when my LER landed in a shop in Indiana for a month.

IMO, over the long haul Rivian would have done better with a 1/2 ton.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The last thing I want dealerships to do is charge their EVs to 100% just to have them sit on the lot.
They would be stupid to leave them at 💯, but say they kept them around 60-70 then they could top it off to 80 -90 for people and help educate them on the importance of not always charging to 💯 .

Education and customer service at its finest 🥳😉

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
How is it possible to cut employee training when there was seemingly none to begin with?
I've had service done at multiple dealerships now, it is hit or miss but there are some well trained technicians.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I was thinking all the numbers for cost of replacing these battery modules and providing transportation to the owner must be starting to add up for Ford. The hot mess of software management must be another topic of concern.....
as;lkjpoiupj........
remember that software isn't just an EV thing. Ford ICE cars have Sync4 too. and the m/kwhr meter is just a replacement for the mpg meter on ICE vehicles.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Ah, here we go again. The actual words:

"Ford recommends that dealers pause their action items and qualifiers related to the voluntary program until we complete our review and work with the Dealer Council in June."
Sponsored