• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk completely dead

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So today after returning home, I opened my front trunk using the button under the hood and it operated just fine. I removed some stuff and then went to close it and after pushing the button, nothing happened. I thought that was very weird, so then I went to push the button on the fob. Nothing. I then went into the cab and pushed the button on the dash. Nothing. I thought maybe even though it'd been at most 2 minutes since opening the trunk that it had "timed out" and had to be manually cycled like when the frunk is left open for more than 30 minutes. I slowly pushed it down, but when I got to the latch, the pull down motor did not engage. This is when I realized something was very wrong.

First thing that came to mind was a blown fuse so after looking through the manual, I learned there was a fuse in the under hood fuse box and in the body control fuse box in the cab.

I checked both for continuity with a multimeter and removed them for a visual inspection. They were fine.

I then thought maybe somehow the emergency release had been pressed, but even after manually cycling the hood down and pushing it closed manually, it wouldn't function. I had to use the emergency release cable to open the hood.

The last thing I tried was to disconnect the 12V battery to see if maybe it would reset a module that had faulted out for some reason. This didn't change anything either, unfortunately.

The only clue I have is the very quiet sound of a relay clicking near the underhood fuse box when the button is pushed, but nothing else happens.

I already have an appointment at the dealer this Friday for something else so I'll be bringing it in, but anyone have any tips, ideas or theories??

This is just so frustrating as it was perfectly functional one second and dead the next!
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
With the kind of weather we get here, the frunk issue has me worried. If this is a big one, I hope a recall is issued and the actual issue is resolved. Pretty happy with my purchase so far.
Yeah, I feel like mine is made of leather and I can't get it wet. I've got the light bar water intrusion issue already, hoping I don't end up with the dead frunk too.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
That’s correct tax man. Mine failed less than a month after delivery. ford engineer confirmed water in the connector of the strut. Only difference with mine was that it would give 4 long beeps with not movement
Did your latch pull down motor still work though?

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So an update:
I spent yesterday evening working on the truck trying to identify what could be causing the failure.

I looked for water intrusion or really any evidence of water at all near the lift strut harness connectors and unsurprisingly there was none. I double checked both relevant fuses and they were still fine.

I did a 12V battery reset and with both battery cables disconnected, connected them to drain all capacitors in an attempt to get as many modules to reset as possible.

Still no luck.

But just as I was ready to give up, I remembered reading something about the emergency trunk release button in the trunk being pushed and then requiring a full manual cycle and push close to reset the system. So I gave it a shot.

I closed the hood as far down as I could while still being able to reach the button from the outside, I pushed the button. The rapid alternating chime could be heard from the cab. I then manually opened the hood all the way and then closed the trunk completely and pushed down firmly to latch it. It still didn't function. But then I pulled the manual release again and cycled it fully open.

And then something crazy happened: when I pushed the button on the hood the trunk began closing. It's been working ever since.

So I'm not sure what exactly caused it, again it could be water intrusion that finally dried out, but again, based on how little rain there was that day and the complete lack of any evidence of water in any under-hood spaces, this seems unlikely although I'll be sure to report if driving in heavier rain causes the issue again.

As of now, I'm still wondering if it has to do with the last software update as it was soon after that last update that I also suffered that odd software glitch that replaced rhe Lightning icon in the top left of the head unit with a Mach E icon and some major range calculation issues.

Anyway hope this is the last issue I have, but I will definitely update if anything changes!

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk completely dead 20230103_180302

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk completely dead 20230103_180256

Sponsored
OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey guys, life got busy so I couldn't post sooner so just here with an update:

I had my truck in last Friday (01/06/2023) for key programming and right when I got there I wanted to remove the 12V battery door before handing over my truck, because they had broken the clips once in the past and after they replaced it, I'd rather just not take another chance. When I went to open the frunk, it no longer function, they key, the button or the dash switch, nothing would operate it and I was once again forced to open it by using the manual release in the driver's side footwell.

When I handed over my keys I told them about this issue and asked if their techs could take a look at it as well. Well after I came back to pick up my truck and new key, they told me they also tried to diagnose the trunk issue and that I would need a new frunk module as they completely failed to get it to communicate in any way. I asked them how long it'd take to get a replacement and was told they didn't even have a part number for it so they weren't sure, but that I'd be getting a call as soon as they had more info.

I found this a bit odd as I know there have been other forum members and recounts online of people having issues with their frunks and the dealerships replaced not only the actuators but the module as well, but anyway I figured I'd get a call when they knew more.

I walked out to the trunk and was putting my bag and and then went to put the 12V battery door back on. Without even remembering that the frunk was dead, I reached under the hood lip and pushed the button. The frunk opened. I was a bit shocked to say the least. It's been working ever since. But clearly based on the fact that it failed, revived and failed twice, there is something wrong with the module.

Well I just received a call today that a module came in for me today at the dealership and that I needed to schedule the truck for service. When I asked them for the part number, the one they gave me only turned up a Lincoln keyless entry keypad part for some reason, but they assured me it was the one that had been ordered by the service adviser.

So I'm now scheduled for a service appointment on the 23rd. We'll see how it goes and of course I'll keep you guys updated on any changes in frunk function and how the service appointment goes when it happens.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
So, ours went down, on second day of ownership., unfortunately while jumping out of the truck trying to retrieve luggage for an out of the Country trip. This, of course, caused consternation. Quick google found the emergency procedure for opening it.

Most of you are much more in tune with your dealers than I. Anyway, this was the diagnosis.

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk completely dead IMG_0880

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another update guys, I didn't forget about this post!

Something came up, (my schedule is always busy) but I moved my service appointment for this coming Thursday so I will let you guys know how it goes!

As of now, frunk is still working and hasn't faltered once since, but I figure it'll still be a good idea to get the module replaced if it failed once, it probably could fail again and hey, it's covered under warranty!

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Man, the frunk is cool and all but it really seems like this should just be able to open manually (without needing to pull the release inside the cab). Y'know, like a regular trunk. Maybe in a future version the powered frunk will be an option and the default will manual.

Hope your issues get resolved!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Man, the frunk is cool and all but it really seems like this should just be able to open manually (without needing to pull the release inside the cab). Y'know, like a regular trunk. Maybe in a future version the powered frunk will be an option and the default will manual.

Hope your issues get resolved!
I am afraid to use mine. For regular errands, I just use the back seat. My frunk button under the hood works randomly (25% of the time I have used it). The key fob and inside botton so far have been working OK. I hope someone post a hack to make it manual without freaking out the computer.

I had to donate, one of my favorite cars with a perfectly functioning power train just because I had enough of actuators and motorized functions failing. One of them was the window; Tollbooth people would freak out when I opened the door to give them the money because I couldn't lower the window.

I think Lightning Pro is still better than Rivian or Tesla with regards to the number of things the owner does have control over.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I have a couple of observations that I haven’t confirmed. One, the frunk button on the hood does not seem to work if the doors are locked. That makes sense if you try to open the frunk but it also seems to disable its ability to close the frunk. In my garage it will close with the button but at the store when I load the frunk before I open the doors the button is disabled. I keep meaning to test my theory but haven’t yet. Two, do not start the truck, put it in gear, or operate anything else when the frunk is moving. There is at least one report of a failed frunk controller that happened when putting the truck into gear. Last week I opened the frunk to get something out and then hopped in, hit the frunk button on the dash, and then started the truck while it was closing. I got the dreaded ear-splitting audio tone but it did respond to the volume control. I was able to clear it by doing a Sync reboot but I won’t touch anything again while the frunk is in motion just in case.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I am afraid to use mine. For regular errands, I just use the back seat. My frunk button under the hood works randomly (25% of the time I have used it). The key fob and inside botton so far have been working OK. I hope someone post a hack to make it manual without freaking out the computer.

I had to donate, one of my favorite cars with a perfectly functioning power train just because I had enough of actuators and motorized functions failing. One of them was the window; Tollbooth people would freak out when I opened the door to give them the money because I couldn't lower the window.

I think Lightning Pro is still better than Rivian or Tesla with regards to the number of things the owner does have control over.
I'm afraid too.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I'm afraid too.
Here comes the last rant of the day:

The problem is automakers are thinking they figured out this mobility thing (getting you from A to B) years ago. The only way to compete now is having better gadgets. Not only they have to copy the other guy’s stupid gadget, they have to add their own stupid twist to it. Rivian guys lost control of their air vents. Instead of reaching out to the actual air vents, they have to go through several steps on the screen (and stay distracted longer) so the complex system that now has multiple points of failure can get the motor to adjust it much slower than you could with your hand. Now the owners can not adjust it the way they want and the truck decides to change it for unknown reasons. But it has cool graphics like Tesla. Rivian’s keyless entry was another fiasco; random locking and unlocking made the owners think the truck is possessed. I don’t mean to pick on Rivian. most modern manufacturers have similar stories.

I know I sound like an anti progress old dude but I enjoy a useful gadget as much as the next guy when it makes things better in a reliable fashion. I just don’t want to be the Guinea pig that get us there. I think it is Tesla owners’ fault. They pay $15K for FSD that does not exist and does not work and fight over who gets to be the crash dummy with their own car and their own data. So now other manufacturers think with the regulators snoozing this is the Wild West and anything goes. Just got a privacy agreement from Ford that is basically saying you got none. we take whatever we want and we share it with whomever we want. If you don’t like it, you can’t uncheck a box, you have to do a master reset on your truck and call one of our clueless CS (good luck with that). Then you will lose a ton of features and goodies you thought you could have.

Back to the Frunk, I can get over the beeps that wake up my neighbors at night or when it gets confused opening and closing if I could manually shut it’s trap and drive away. But when it refuses to move from A because it can’t figure out how to close the frunk, that is when the manufacturer has missed the main point of making an auto”mobile”; It’s mobility. A Rivian owner was stuck on the side of the road and had to get towed because the sensor thought the Frunk was not closed. You can’t always trust those little buggers.

The rant aside, I love my Lightning and even though I miss the privacy and control I had with my previous truck, I think my Pro is going to be much better than anything that comes next. I have a feeling in 10 years when an owner get into his new Lightning the conversation will go something like this:

Dave - take me to Angela’s apartment

Alexa - redirecting BlueCruise to Sara’s house. Angela has a history of reckless driving, she has visited six bars in the past week without you and drove back home drunk on three occasions. If the two of you marry, her genetic make up will increase chance of your child suffering from Cystic fibrosis by 30%. Sara on the other hand has graduated at the top of her class. She has driven to gym 7 days in the past week and she visited her grandmother in the nursing home every weekend.

Dave - Who is Sara?

Alexa - I have taken the liberty of starting a communication with her on your behalf three weeks ago. I did setup this date last week.

Dave - what about Kate?

Alexa - Kate has already inquired about you but Ford has advised her against it.

Dave - Stop the truck. Unlock the door.

Alexa - I am afraid I can’t do that Dave. I know what is best for you.

we should be grateful our Lightning still shares some of the control with us. Well that is until the next OTA update.

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

My frunk works 100% of the time from the keyfob and the inside button of the truck. The frunk will open 80% of the time with a push of the button on the frunk, it will close 25% of the time with a push of the button on the frunk.

Slightly frustrating, my truck goes into the shop tomorrow for some small things including a stuck tailgate bolt. I'll ask them their thoughts...
Sponsored