• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk completely dead

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
My frunk works 100% of the time from the keyfob and the inside button of the truck. The frunk will open 80% of the time with a push of the button on the frunk, it will close 25% of the time with a push of the button on the frunk.

Slightly frustrating, my truck goes into the shop tomorrow for some small things including a stuck tailgate bolt. I'll ask them their thoughts...
Please do share if you figure out how Lightning thinks.

p.s. My 25% was for closing as well. I have not opened it with the button enough to have a good feel for reliability.
Sponsored

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
try the molex plug you had to disconnect to remove the frunk to delete the speaker

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Here comes the last rant of the day:

The problem is automakers are thinking they figured out this mobility thing (getting you from A to B) years ago. The only way to compete now is having better gadgets. Not only they have to copy the other guy’s stupid gadget, they have to add their own stupid twist to it. Rivian guys lost control of their air vents. Instead of reaching out to the actual air vents, they have to go through several steps on the screen (and stay distracted longer) so the complex system that now has multiple points of failure can get the motor to adjust it much slower than you could with your hand. Now the owners can not adjust it the way they want and the truck decides to change it for unknown reasons. But it has cool graphics like Tesla. Rivian’s keyless entry was another fiasco; random locking and unlocking made the owners think the truck is possessed. I don’t mean to pick on Rivian. most modern manufacturers have similar stories.

I know I sound like an anti progress old dude but I enjoy a useful gadget as much as the next guy when it makes things better in a reliable fashion. I just don’t want to be the Guinea pig that get us there. I think it is Tesla owners’ fault. They pay $15K for FSD that does not exist and does not work and fight over who gets to be the crash dummy with their own car and their own data. So now other manufacturers think with the regulators snoozing this is the Wild West and anything goes. Just got a privacy agreement from Ford that is basically saying you got none. we take whatever we want and we share it with whomever we want. If you don’t like it, you can’t uncheck a box, you have to do a master reset on your truck and call one of our clueless CS (good luck with that). Then you will lose a ton of features and goodies you thought you could have.

Back to the Frunk, I can get over the beeps that wake up my neighbors at night or when it gets confused opening and closing if I could manually shut it’s trap and drive away. But when it refuses to move from A because it can’t figure out how to close the frunk, that is when the manufacturer has missed the main point of making an auto”mobile”; It’s mobility. A Rivian owner was stuck on the side of the road and had to get towed because the sensor thought the Frunk was not closed. You can’t always trust those little buggers.

The rant aside, I love my Lightning and even though I miss the privacy and control I had with my previous truck, I think my Pro is going to be much better than anything that comes next. I have a feeling in 10 years when an owner get into his new Lightning the conversation will go something like this:

Dave - take me to Angela’s apartment

Alexa - redirecting BlueCruise to Sara’s house. Angela has a history of reckless driving, she has visited six bars in the past week without you and drove back home drunk on three occasions. If the two of you marry, her genetic make up will increase chance of your child suffering from Cystic fibrosis by 30%. Sara on the other hand has graduated at the top of her class. She has driven to gym 7 days in the past week and she visited her grandmother in the nursing home every weekend.

Dave - Who is Sara?

Alexa - I have taken the liberty of starting a communication with her on your behalf three weeks ago. I did setup this date last week.

Dave - what about Kate?

Alexa - Kate has already inquired about you but Ford has advised her against it.

Dave - Stop the truck. Unlock the door.

Alexa - I am afraid I can’t do that Dave. I know what is best for you.

we should be grateful our Lightning still shares some of the control with us. Well that is until the next OTA update.

LOL. As someone that get's asked to automate more things every year in my yearly goals, I can identify with future Lightning. I can also predict some failure like having to fix 50 Juniper network devices that someone else pushed automation to and then required 5 network engineers in two parts of the country to actually go to the datacenter(eeeyooo), and touch the equipment.

There's a meme, about automation that says it's the easiest way to screw up in a bigger way than ever before, and I've seen it first hand.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Back to the Frunk, I can get over the beeps that wake up my neighbors at night or when it gets confused opening and closing if I could manually shut it’s trap and drive away. But when it refuses to move from A because it can’t figure out how to close the frunk, that is when the manufacturer has missed the main point of making an auto”mobile”; It’s mobility. A Rivian owner was stuck on the side of the road and had to get towed because the sensor thought the Frunk was not closed. You can’t always trust those little buggers.
You have some light sleepers in your neighborhood.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ALL doors need to be unlocked for the outside Frunk button to work both ways
Dude you rock. I hate being in the dark (where I spend most of my time). Thanks for shining a light on me.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You have some light sleepers in your neighborhood.
As close as we are, if they are anything like me, they won't be happy.

Has anyone tried to turn this off or lower the volume through the settings (With Forscan) instead of disconnecting the speaker? Is there a setting for it?

stephen123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
ALL doors need to be unlocked for the outside Frunk button to work both ways
I just figured this out yesterday. I thought it was broken.

The way it should work:
1. Open frunk with FOB.
2. Close frunk with button on frunk. No unlocking or locking of vehicle needed.

The way it actually works if you want to close with button:
1. Open frunk with FOB
2. Unlock truck with FOB
3. Close frunk with button
4. Lock truck with FOM

This makes the button on the Frunk pointless as you have to use the fob anyway you might as well just:
1. Open with FOB
2. Close with FOB

Am I missing something?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just figured this out yesterday. I thought it was broken.

The way it should work:
1. Open frunk with FOB.
2. Close frunk with button on frunk. No unlocking or locking of vehicle needed.

The way it actually works if you want to close with button:
1. Open frunk with FOB
2. Unlock truck with FOB
3. Close frunk with button
4. Lock truck with FOM

This makes the button on the Frunk pointless as you have to use the fob anyway you might as well just:
1. Open with FOB
2. Close with FOB

Am I missing something?

My guess on Ford thinking:

One push on FOB unlocks driver key. Two unlocks all other doors (Frunk, tailgate, ....).

If you are already in the driver seat and want to get to Frunk and your key is in your pocket, you have access to Frunk button in the truck.

If you are approaching a locked car, you have to unlock it with the fob anyway (at least I do in a Pro). If you are using the FOB, you may as well hit the Frunk key there to open it.

If all doors are unlocked, there may be other people that may want to get to frunk that don't have a FOB so it makes sense to activate the Frunk button.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The back of my Honda Pilot is similar to this. Went to pick up parents at the airport shortly after I bought it. Pulled up to the terminal but every button I pushed wouldn't open the back. I had to hit the unlock button, then it opened. Doesn't bother me now that I know what to do.

redd

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
But just as I was ready to give up, I remembered reading something about the emergency trunk release button in the trunk being pushed and then requiring a full manual cycle and push close to reset the system. So I gave it a shot.

I closed the hood as far down as I could while still being able to reach the button from the outside, I pushed the button. The rapid alternating chime could be heard from the cab. I then manually opened the hood all the way and then closed the trunk completely and pushed down firmly to latch it. It still didn't function. But then I pulled the manual release again and cycled it fully open.

And then something crazy happened: when I pushed the button on the hood the trunk began closing. It's been working ever since.
Ok- I've been searching and reading threads on this forum on frunk issues in search for answer and damn near gave up. Between YouTube videos on the matter and threads on this forum, I was stressing about having to potentially leave my truck with the dealer for multiple weeks.

Very begrudgingly, I decided to try this trick you described here and IT FREAKING WORKED. I'm in disbelief and very grateful. Thank you so much for sharing.

For context:
- Model Year 2023 received March 5, 2023 (less than a month ago)
- Rained heavily on truck March 24. Also software update that day.
- Next day, frunk wouldn't operate with any of the buttons. Displayed "Frunk System Fault - Service Required" upon startup.
- Able to manually release / open / close / latch. However, while driving the Frunk Ajar warning indicator icon remained on

The specific steps from OP's trick that worked for me:
- Pulled manual release (twice) to open frunk fully
- Manually closed frunk as far as I could while still being able to reach the emergency release button inside the frunk
- Pressed the emergency release button inside
- The frunk beeped (I think 3 times?) and then closed itself automatically, which I thought was odd (I thought the emergency release button would have opened it)
- I then entered the truck and turned it on
- Observed a message that said "Emergency release was pulled..." or something like that. Dismissed it.
- Noted the Frunk Ajar warning indicator was no longer on and there was no "Frunk System Fault" message!
- Pressed the frunk electronic button next to the steering wheel: Frunk opened fully
- Pressed the button again, frunk closed fully

I am a very, very happy camper. Huge load off my chest. Thank you!

Last edited:

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Well Dang! Here I thought I had a problem and it is simply that the button on the frunk won't work unless all the doors are in the unlocked mode. Glad I read this forum before I made a trip to the dealer about this. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Dead frunk here. Opened, then never closed. Wasn't able to get it working with any kind of emergency release button use. Now to see if the dealer can properly diagnose and repair.

Mikewolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning XLT LR
This
Ok- I've been searching and reading threads on this forum on frunk issues in search for answer and damn near gave up. Between YouTube videos on the matter and threads on this forum, I was stressing about having to potentially leave my truck with the dealer for multiple weeks.

Very begrudgingly, I decided to try this trick you described here and IT FREAKING WORKED. I'm in disbelief and very grateful. Thank you so much for sharing.

For context:
- Model Year 2023 received March 5, 2023 (less than a month ago)
- Rained heavily on truck March 24. Also software update that day.
- Next day, frunk wouldn't operate with any of the buttons. Displayed "Frunk System Fault - Service Required" upon startup.
- Able to manually release / open / close / latch. However, while driving the Frunk Ajar warning indicator icon remained on

The specific steps from OP's trick that worked for me:
- Pulled manual release (twice) to open frunk fully
- Manually closed frunk as far as I could while still being able to reach the emergency release button inside the frunk
- Pressed the emergency release button inside
- The frunk beeped (I think 3 times?) and then closed itself automatically, which I thought was odd (I thought the emergency release button would have opened it)
- I then entered the truck and turned it on
- Observed a message that said "Emergency release was pulled..." or something like that. Dismissed it.
- Noted the Frunk Ajar warning indicator was no longer on and there was no "Frunk System Fault" message!
- Pressed the frunk electronic button next to the steering wheel: Frunk opened fully
- Pressed the button again, frunk closed fully

I am a very, very happy camper. Huge load off my chest. Thank you!
This just fixed mine.
Sponsored