• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
This is addressed in the highlighted paragraph of the federal standard:

https://www.federalregister.gov/d/01-20831/p-193

There's a possibility in this case that the action had been initiated while the truck was stopped waiting for traffic and/or moving under 3km/hr
Seems there are gaps in the logic of what is allowed to happen under various conditions.

The Frunk in this case was just loaded with cargo, then closed, the load shifted while still stopped triggering the emergency escape, the FUNK AJAR Lamp should prevent the drive selector from moving out of PARK.

If the vehicle is in gear and moving, the secondary latch should hold the frunk from opening fully until the vehicle comes to a stop and placed in park or neutral.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Seems there are gaps in the logic of what is allowed to happen under various conditions.
Similar–but obviously unrelated–to the logic gap that seemingly allows speed limit signs to use a singular reference from camera OCR input to determine ADAS speeds.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thanks for sharing all. Fixing this just added something to my "do right away" list.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Ford, please make a cover for this or make it a pull release...like a hood release so that it does not open while driving or at minimum make sure the secondary latch works EVERY TIME. I understand the need to allow escape from the confined space, but if someone happens to be trapped, blinding the driver is VERY NOT SAFE. Blinding the driver will lead to large brake application which will be very not safe for whatever is no longer in the frunk.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I get the need to analyze this, but it isn’t the first time it’s been documented as happening (https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...frunk-release-activated-on-the-highway.11107/) and won’t be the last. IMHO, it is an occurrence that Ford didn’t anticipate given the hard plastic raised ring designed around the button that they probably thought would protect it from such activations.

Well, I’d say a re-engineered solution is warranted🤔
The funny thing is they literally tried to reinvent something that has been around for REAR trunks for decades. The solution there was something that can be PULLED, not pushed.

There are a ton on things that can accidentally PUSH that button like luggage and the standard test for trunk size, which is fitting two golf bags. When you think of it, just about anything tall enough to reach that button could potentially push it.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
This happened to me twice on Saturday with my golf clubs. I kind of pushed it closed, then pressed the button a bunch of times until it opened.

The button placement just seems bad.

IMG_2603.jpeg
This picture says 1000 words and I'm assuming there will be some sort of recall to put a cover there... just like the power jacks. Other than that it would need to be something twisted or pulled, not pushed.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do any cars have a hood release that is a little push button? Every car/truck that I have been in had a pull handle. There is a reason for this... (Oops, my leg/knee bumped the button and now my hood has to be peeled off my windshield). I think my first car had a frozen secondary latch and the primary was the only thing holding the hood shut. My 19 year old self did not see a problem with a Honda Civic that might blind the driver at 65mph with an inadvertent pull of a handle. Thank goodness it was not a push button.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Do any cars have a hood release that is a little push button? Every car/truck that I have been in had a pull handle. There is a reason for this... (Oops, my leg/knee bumped the button and now my hood has to be peeled off my windshield). I think my first car had a frozen secondary latch and the primary was the only thing holding the hood shut. My 19 year old self did not see a problem with a Honda Civic that might blind the driver at 65mph with an inadvertent pull of a handle. Thank goodness it was not a push button.
What year Civic? My first car was a '79 Honda Accord, with hood hinge on the front. Didn't have to worry about that.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Yikes, you almost definitely bent something. Not ideal.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What year Civic? My first car was a '79 Honda Accord, with hood hinge on the front. Didn't have to worry about that.
91 civic LX sedan 5spd manual 4 door. White with rust (Vermont car...) around the rear wheels and rear corners of the rocker panels. My next car was a 94 4 door Acura Integra 5 speed. (My post high school and college cars undergrad and pharmacy school). Mitsubishi eclipse 5 speed for 6 months (that car burned oil after sitting for more than a few hours). 07 saab 93 sedan was my first car with more than adequate power. It was such a comfortable highway cruiser 4th gear out of 6 was a lower gear than 5th in the Honda products. I could keep going...

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
@Ford Motor Company needs to send out button covers to customers immediately. Make them clear with a flip-up style latch.

OR, send an OTA update that disables the buttons while driving. Make the button so it's only usable while in park or when the truck is shut off.

Last thing i need to happen while driving with the kids is this.

Last edited: