• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Future “Exhaust sounds?”

Pattyboy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2014
With the lightning being pretty quiet, I was wondering if an audible exhaust sound would be implemented for safety/coolness factors. Thoughts?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Borla is over 6 months late in releasing this. It's estimated cost is close to $2,000. Absurd price.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Meh, I bought an EV so I don't have to listen to exhaust noise. What's next, a shaker motor to simulate engine vibration? Random jolts to simulate transmission shifting? Random dealership bills to simulate oil changes? Not for me.🤣

Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
With the lightning being pretty quiet, I was wondering if an audible exhaust sound would be implemented for safety/coolness factors. Thoughts?
Lightning already has this. It’s called Propulsion Sound, but I believe only available on Platinum. It simulates a gas engine noise.

It’s on by default and i spent the first hour of my drive home after pickup trying to figure out what the hell i was hearing. Once I found the setting I was in love with the quiet. Fake noises either inside the cabin or out just don’t make sense to me.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I would argue that removing all the extra fake sounds from modern EV's is what makes them cool (although one could also argue less safe).

That said, Yamaha makes an electric motor that has a sound reminiscent of a jet engine which I did think was kinda cool. Worlds better than what Dodge demo'd.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Meh, I bought an EV so I don't have to listen to exhaust noise. What's next, a shaker motor to simulate engine vibration? Random jolts to simulate transmission shifting? Random dealership bills to simulate oil changes? Not for me.🤣
Two things.

My Lightning is too quiet, and so much so that I hear an annoying creaking sound coming from the passenger side dashboard that my wife cannot diagnose while I am driving, and she refuses to drive the Lightning. So to compensate, I crank up loud music to drown out the creaking.

Second, drove my 1967 Mustang at our vacation home a couple of weeks ago, and it made me feel nostalgic about motor noises. I would go for motor noises.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My Lightning is too quiet, and so much so that I hear an annoying creaking sound coming from the passenger side dashboard that my wife cannot diagnose while I am driving, and she refuses to drive the Lightning. So to compensate, I crank up loud music to drown out the creaking.
I hear a rattle from the moon roof when the sun screen is closed, it goes away when I partly or fully retract the screen.

BTW, your Vehicles detail needs an update [lol]
Ford F-150 Lightning Future “Exhaust sounds?” 1684169320897

Sponsored

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hear a rattle from the moon roof when the sun screen is closed, it goes away when I partly or fully retract the screen.

BTW, your Vehicles detail needs an update [lol]
1684169320897.png
Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm fairly certain the creak is originating from between the A Post vinyl trim and the dashboard, or between the dashboard and the door. I need to move her seat up and I am going to give her a wooden shim to see if we can make that annoying creak go away, or turn the stereo up louder.

The other thing that is kind of odd is at very slow speeds, when leaving the driveway with the windows open, we hear the tires against the road, and it seems loud to us. Not annoying, just still not used to it.

I think I found my solution to meld my love of my 1967 Mustang sound and the lack of sound. I'm going to MP3 this and play this through the stereo (this engine is apparently a 390 ci, and mine is a 289 ci, but the sound is about the same):

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Two things.

Second, drove my 1967 Mustang at our vacation home a couple of weeks ago, and it made me feel nostalgic about motor noises. I would go for motor noises.
I, too, have a few toys with roudy engines and exhaust dumps. Nothing like the sound of a burbling V8, or a screaming straight 6. I'm a big fan of engine noise.

But as big a fan I am of a loud exhaust, I'm even more against fake. The noise is awesome because of what it means. And if it means you turned on fake noises... well. Enough said.

I do wish that people (pedestrians) could better hear me coming in a parking lot though.

jason95r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER, '95 Cobra R #172, '07 Porsche GT3
I, too, have a few toys with roudy engines and exhaust dumps. Nothing like the sound of a burbling V8, or a screaming straight 6. I'm a big fan of engine noise.

But as big a fan I am of a loud exhaust, I'm even more against fake. The noise is awesome because of what it means. And if it means you turned on fake noises... well. Enough said.

I do wish that people (pedestrians) could better hear me coming in a parking lot though.

I completely agree with all you said. I love loud ICE exhausts. But for fun time now instead of on a daily basis. There's nothing better than daily driving in silence in an EV.

But on the weekends there's nothing like my GT3 with a center muffler delete screaming at 9K RPM's...... That sure wakes you up

I had a 2013 Audi S4 that had an artificial sound track in the cabin that kicked in at certain RPM's. And you couldn't turn it off without coding. It was the dumbest thing ever.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm fairly certain the creak is originating from between the A Post vinyl trim and the dashboard, or between the dashboard and the door. I need to move her seat up and I am going to give her a wooden shim to see if we can make that annoying creak go away, or turn the stereo up louder.

The other thing that is kind of odd is at very slow speeds, when leaving the driveway with the windows open, we hear the tires against the road, and it seems loud to us. Not annoying, just still not used to it.

I think I found my solution to meld my love of my 1967 Mustang sound and the lack of sound. I'm going to MP3 this and play this through the stereo (this engine is apparently a 390 ci, and mine is a 289 ci, but the sound is about the same):

As an update, the wooden shim has done some good, for the ride home from the office after the car has been sitting in the warm sun all day. In the morning, not so much, but I think the problem is still at where the dashboard and the A-Post vinyl trim meet. Don't have the time to go to the dealer and get the runaround about how they don't hear it or can't find the source.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
As an update, the wooden shim has done some good, for the ride home from the office after the car has been sitting in the warm sun all day. In the morning, not so much, but I think the problem is still at where the dashboard and the A-Post vinyl trim meet. Don't have the time to go to the dealer and get the runaround about how they don't hear it or can't find the source.
I think I have the same issue. And haven't had the time to ride passenger to diagnose. It definitely sounds like two pieces of trim rubbing slightly, and likely wouldn't be noticeable in an ICE. It's the only downside to the amazingly quiet ride so far, IMO.
Sponsored