• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hard braking at highway speed next to 18 wheeler truck pulls opposite big rig

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
I read about this in Mach E forum and had this experience today in ‘20 F250 Limited SuperDuty. New Mach E owners had experienced ABS braking / steering pulling them away from big rigs next to them. Only big rigs. Today I was just approaching from its left side an 18 wheeler about at it’s rear trailer wheels when they started left moving into my lane. I saw the blinker on the cab signaling as they started my direction and at 75 mph (Texas Interstate) slammed hard hard hard on the brakes and was immediately pulled left as I braked. Daytime, 88 degrees, Dry conditions relatively new concrete, no loose material. Afterwards on a rural road I tested multiple times and truck performed as expected, straight line ABS perfect. I went back to try and find the MME thread but can’t locate it. I’m hoping someone here saw that thread, or might have a Platinum late model F150, or Ford is reading here and can tell us: are these new vehicles with multiple cameras (my ‘20 Limited has 360 view, lane sensing, auto braking under cruise control) and sensors and software protecting us from side impact collisions by having the braking / steering systems go opposite another lane changing vehicle under hard braking conditions? If so, it’s something we should know especially here in the Lightning space. I’m a wave 3 Platinum order, no production date.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I read about this in Mach E forum and had this experience today in ‘20 F250 Limited SuperDuty. New Mach E owners had experienced ABS braking / steering pulling them away from big rigs next to them. Only big rigs. Today I was just approaching from its left side an 18 wheeler about at it’s rear trailer wheels when they started left moving into my lane. I saw the blinker on the cab signaling as they started my direction and at 75 mph (Texas Interstate) slammed hard hard hard on the brakes and was immediately pulled left as I braked. Daytime, 88 degrees, Dry conditions relatively new concrete, no loose material. Afterwards on a rural road I tested multiple times and truck performed as expected, straight line ABS perfect. I went back to try and find the MME thread but can’t locate it. I’m hoping someone here saw that thread, or might have a Platinum late model F150, or Ford is reading here and can tell us: are these new vehicles with multiple cameras (my ‘20 Limited has 360 view, lane sensing, auto braking under cruise control) and sensors and software protecting us from side impact collisions by having the braking / steering systems go opposite another lane changing vehicle under hard braking conditions? If so, it’s something we should know especially here in the Lightning space. I’m a wave 3 Platinum order, no production date.
I think this may be what you are talking about--

https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/evasive-steering-assist/

Although it says clearly it does not steer, maybe it applies the brakes harder one side which in theory helps you steer to the left around the obstacle. Just a guess....

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Funny thing about that video is the driver of the subject car would have not had any "surprises on the road" if they slowed down and didn't tailgate :)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My Mach-E has separated switches in collision avoidance for braking and steering. Either can be enabled or disabled.

OP
OP

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
Thanks all. Technology is great! I can’t wait. Wave 3 Lightning order 6/20 build week. Waiting on Mach E production date. I can’t wait. Wish I could have been at Rogue today.
Sponsored