• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has anyone purchased the Premium Maintenance EV Plan from Ford?

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
I am thinking of purchasing this for coverage for brakes (pads/labor) and shocks/struts over 100K to 150K.
Has anyone purchased this plan and has the "fine print" Can you pint me to it?

Know that a typical 5K or 10K visit is "inexpensive" for tire rotations and multi-inspections.

Thoughts.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I can't imagine buying such a plan. Brakes seldom wear out on EVs. Shocks and struts should be a non-issue during normal usage.

Reactions: chl

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
The dealer would certainly love for you to get it.

What's the cost?

OP
OP
itdwebman

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
The dealer would certainly love for you to get it.

What's the cost?
$1745 to ~$2K depending on the options. It seems to only be worth it for handling expensive maintenance items like brakes and shocks - if labor is included.

Sponsored

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
$1745 to ~$2K depending on the options. It seems to only be worth it for handling expensive maintenance items like brakes and shocks - if labor is included.
The stock shocks are like $120. Brakes almost certainly won't need replacing in that timeframe. Labor wouldn't be more than a couple hours.

This is pure profit for the dealer.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
What ^ said.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just FYI - as long as you are using one pedal driving and not towing a bunch you shouldn’t need brake pads for a very long time.

The highest mileage EV in our household is a Tesla 3 with 85,000 miles and when it recently had a camera recall service the multi point inspection showed about 90% brake pad remaining. So unless the guide pins need lubrication or something corrodes/seizes I don’t see a need to service the brakes on an EV.

You would also have to bank on keeping the truck for many years and 100,000+ miles before it needs shocks/ball joints/half shaft boots/normal suspension type stuff that’s typical of any truck so personally I think paying $2k upfront for something like that is way too much.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

Sponsored

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
I believe the battery is covered for 10 yrs/100K be default.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Just FYI - as long as you are using one pedal driving and not towing a bunch you shouldn’t need brake pads for a very long time.

The highest mileage EV in our household is a Tesla 3 with 85,000 miles and when it recently had a camera recall service the multi point inspection showed about 90% brake pad remaining. So unless the guide pins need lubrication or something corrodes/seizes I don’t see a need to service the brakes on an EV.
Our Model Y has 60K miles on it and starting around 40K miles the brakes were squeaking like crazy in reverse. Then it started when moving forward. The brakes get used so little that they get corrosion and crud build up on the rotors and pads. I have to put regen in low and go take it on a drive where I can do some aggressive braking for a bit to grind all that crap off of there. Then it's fine again for a while. Starting to squeal again now... Time for a spirited and aggressive drive through the canyon.... heh.

One pedal in the Lightning isn't near as aggressive, so the brakes do get used more... but still nowhere near in an ICE truck. I'll be shocked if the brakes on my Lightning don't last at least 2X or maybe 3X as long as normal.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I believe the battery is covered for 10 yrs/100K be default.
It's actually 8 years / 100K miles, federally mandated for all battery EVs.

I bought the 8 year/ 100K premium care Ford warranty through Granger. When I bought the truck, as I bought it from Granger as well. I know there's a good chance that was extra $ to the dealership and Ford, but then again, having bumper to bumper coverage for the full 8yr/100k miles seemed like reasonable peace of mind for the $1500. It's not the suspension or most of the mechanical stuff that worries me. It's all the electronics and various modules.

benjmsher10

First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Real estate owner operator
Can you wait a couple years before buying premium extended warranty from Granger / Ford? I.e. Just before you hit 36k or 3 years?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Can you wait a couple years before buying premium extended warranty from Granger / Ford? I.e. Just before you hit 36k or 3 years?
Yes. It will cost a bit more.
Sponsored