• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ideal Charging Practices ?

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
Not buying likelihood of wear and tear. There aren't any real moving parts involved. My first plug-in vehicle was plugged in 2-3 times a day for nearly 7 years, No wear and tear whatsoever, none! Basically, you came up with a solution in a desperate search for a problem.
While I don’t really think there is one right way, we can all do what we believe is right.
But it is just common sense if you plug anything in and out there is wear on those parts. ANYTHING that contacts another and slides across it will wear to some degree, ANYTHING. The real question is the wear of daily use enough to worry about over the normal lifespan of the vehicle but say there is no wear whatsoever is false.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
While I don’t really think there is one right way, we can all do what we believe is right.
But it is just common sense if you plug anything in and out there is wear on those parts. ANYTHING that contacts another and slides across it will wear to some degree, ANYTHING. The real question is the wear of daily use enough to worry about over the normal lifespan of the vehicle but say there is no wear whatsoever is false.
Ok let's see. J1772 has been in use since 2010 (I think). Over that time, how many of them wore and tore themselves to failure?

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
Ok let's see. J1772 has been in use since 2010 (I think). Over that time, how many of them wore and tore themselves to failure?
Yeah you never find a public level 2 charger that doesn’t work.
But as I said I’m not saying the wear is an issue for the normal lifespan. but when you say “no wear whatsoever “ it is false. Keep arguing to prove your false statement

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Yeah you never find a public level 2 charger that doesn’t work.
Actually you do. Volta Charging stations are frequently broken. And lately aren't being repaired. But I think it's mostly due to abuse.
when you say “no wear whatsoever “ it is false
What I said is that after 7 years there was no wear. Maybe, if I kept it for 50 years somehow, it would stop working. Maybe! If a few molecules got shaved of through normal use, it doesn't matter because it still works. There are things all around us that that contact something and slide across, yet still work fine after decades of use, and don't wear out.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
The J1772 spec calls for 10,000 mating cycles so once a day for 27 years. My guess is that Ford is making their suppliers provide evidence that the part on the truck is going to meet the spec. The cable on your charger may not meet that but the cable will probably wear out before the connector.

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
And, if you think that charging is giving you any noticeable heat difference, that would also be wrong.
Truly curious, Do you have any data regarding "noticeable heat difference" when charging.

In winter, in a 25 to 45 degree garage in winter. I have purposely set a narrow charge window (starting at 4 AM) prior to my departure time (6:55 AM) to help warm the battery some prior to pre-conditioning. Thought process Is trying to blend the 2 periods Charge > Precondition instead Charging happening at 5 PM the night before when I get home.

I would not say Ive done a deep dive analysis but I can monitor my electricity usage via my Solar setup and I have done a cursory look thru the energy graphs it and appears to show that on M-F that preconditioning takes less energy then vs Saturday or Sunday Which are days I dont have charging scheduled so it charges anytime. However I do have departure times set for both Sat/Sun which is why I can compare the scenarios. So when comparing it appears to me setting charging times close to precondition uses less energy because the battery has done some warming via charge already.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
So when comparing it appears to me setting charging times close to precondition uses less energy because the battery has done some warming via charge already.
I've noticed the same the few times I did preconditioning, AC charging might not create the same intensity of heat as does DCFC session, but AC charging is adding some heat, optimizing the conservation of energy by adjusting a the clock times of these events can't hurt even if the value is trivial to modest. Kind of the argument we could take this regarding climate change, .... let's not go there!!!!

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
And...as if on cue.....

I was down to 19% when I pulled into my drive last night. Plug in for an overnight deep charge to 90%. Confirm both in car and on app 90%. App says charge will complete at 4:30am.

Monitor occasionally until I go to be around 11pm. All good.

Get up at 630a to find truck blew past 90% to 100% charge.

Yeah, I'm gonna pass on plugging it up every night if I don't need the range

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Get up at 630a to find truck blew past 90% to 100% charge.
Have you been having this problem all the time or intermittently?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Have you been having this problem all the time or intermittently?
Intermittently, but then again I also don't plug up every night.

Also I received the update last night(DTE update) so that may have thrown everything off. My point is perhaps the "charge limit" setting isn't a 100% fail proof process. People should do their own risk assessment and needs assessment and develop a strategy. As a long as it is reasonable(i.e. not taking the battery down to zero repeatedly) then there are options that include not plugging up nightly.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Also I received the update last night(DTE update) so that may have thrown everything off. My point is perhaps the "charge limit" setting isn't a 100% fail proof process.
I plug in every night, it's 99% reliable, the one time non-conformance was immediately following a PU.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Intermittently, but then again I also don't plug up every night.

Also I received the update last night(DTE update) so that may have thrown everything off. My point is perhaps the "charge limit" setting isn't a 100% fail proof process. People should do their own risk assessment and needs assessment and develop a strategy. As a long as it is reasonable(i.e. not taking the battery down to zero repeatedly) then there are options that include not plugging up nightly.
That update definitely takes the car to 100% that one time, then it was fine the next night.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I have charged my Tesla Model X to 90% for the last 7.5 years except for long trips when I charged it to 100%. I plug in every night. I have only discharged the battery really, really low (<10%) a couple of times. I have lost ~1-2 miles of range on my battery every year so I find that perfectly acceptible.

I will be charging to 90% and plugging in every night.

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
This is some great info. I was worried now I just don't care. Its a car and I am going to charge / drive as it fits my lifestyle.... Right now I am using 120 as we are still finishing construction on our home lol so my charge routine is about 24 hours from 70-90...
Sponsored