• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Reactions: GDN
OP
OP

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
The behind the rear seat plug and play SGS systems look great, and honestly seem like a great deal. My JL Audio system was about $750 fully shop installed, and I am very happy with it...but if I could do it again I might have bought one of these as they look very straightforward to self install. One downside I suppose would be the loss of storage behind the right side rear seat, but man what a nice product.

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/collec...g-play-system-upgrade-b-o-including-unleashed

Last edited:

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
I was contemplating getting the Kicker but read it was only 100w RMS, and don't really see the value in that for what it costs. Sounds like you can do everything with FORScan but someone mentioned they bought the 2 day FDRS license to do the Sound System Upgrade.

Out of all the random stereo installs and basic amp wiring installs I've done, I have no clue where to grab the high level signals for these powered subs without snipping wires.
Here is the harness you will need. Now depending on your amplifier will depend on if you need speaker wire or RCA.

What amplifier are you using so I can check for you?

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/collec...harness-to-add-subwoofer-amplifier-to-factory

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
The behind the rear seat plug and play SGS systems look great, and honestly seem like a great deal. My JL Audio system was about $750 fully shop installed, and I am very happy with it...but if I could do it again I might have bought one of these as they look very straightforward to self install. One downside I suppose would be the loss of storage behind the right side rear seat, but man what a nice product.

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/collec...g-play-system-upgrade-b-o-including-unleashed
Appreciate it! We have thousands of hours into the way this enclosure performs acoustically in these trucks and a couple hundred hours in the design/fitment. These are about to start shipping out to the first customers, so I'm sure many will post up their feedback. If you can name the subwoofer/enclosure combination, we have tried and listened to it in this truck.

Any questions, just let us know

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Appreciate it! We have thousands of hours into the way this enclosure performs acoustically in these trucks and a couple hundred hours in the design/fitment. These are about to start shipping out to the first customers, so I'm sure many will post up their feedback. If you can name the subwoofer/enclosure combination, we have tried and listened to it in this truck.

Does this new design now fit without cutting insulation and keep from having to move the TCU on the back wall of the truck?

Sponsored

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
So TCU is good to go, but does require you to cut the rear carpet for proper fitment. Here is a short video of the package and how it fits into the truck.

p.s. Giveaway ended on the 31st, so ignore that part :)

OP
OP

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning

In my 2017 F250 (Bench Seat XLT) I have the Alpine 107 HU w/ Alpine 4x45 amp powering Focal door speakers, plus powered JL Audio dual 8" microsub behind the rear seat. Tweeters remain unpowered. I put this together in early 2018. Simple setup that has served me well to my ears.

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
Does this new design now fit without cutting insulation and keep from having to move the TCU on the back wall of the truck?
In my 2017 F250 (Bench Seat XLT) I have the Alpine 107 HU w/ Alpine 4x45 amp powering Focal door speakers, plus powered JL Audio dual 8" microsub behind the rear seat. Tweeters remain unpowered. I put this together in early 2018. Simple setup that has served me well to my ears.
Nice, sometimes simple is effective and fun, just like in your case.

The most cost-effective upgrade in these trucks is block-off plates. We started building these 15 years ago and were the first to offer them for sale online 3 years ago. If you don't have these, then this would be a simple, very effective upgrade to make what you have sound substantially better :) You can scroll through customer reviews at the bottom of the page to see what others say. Need anything in the future, check us out.

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/collec...de-door-access-block-off-plates-sold-as-a-set

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So TCU is good to go, but does require you to cut the rear carpet for proper fitment. Here is a short video of the package and how it fits into the truck.

p.s. Giveaway ended on the 31st, so ignore that part :)
Very nice on the redesign of the box. Much nicer look and fit.

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
Very nice on the redesign of the box. Much nicer look and fit.
Thanks... It's a pain in the .... !! 22 pieces of wood, every one with a hand-cut angle cut.. We are modifying in MM for proper fitment, airspace, and tuning.

Sponsored
OP
OP

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Nice, sometimes simple is effective and fun, just like in your case.

The most cost-effective upgrade in these trucks is block-off plates. We started building these 15 years ago and were the first to offer them for sale online 3 years ago. If you don't have these, then this would be a simple, very effective upgrade to make what you have sound substantially better :) You can scroll through customer reviews at the bottom of the page to see what others say. Need anything in the future, check us out.

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/collec...de-door-access-block-off-plates-sold-as-a-set
Cool, I will try them out in my F250. Is it ok to install them without sound treatment?

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
Cool, I will try them out in my F250. Is it ok to install them without sound treatment?
Yes, no sound treatment necessary. We do ask to add foam weatherstripping around the hole to create a seal.

OP
OP

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Yes, no sound treatment necessary. We do ask to add foam weatherstripping around the hole to create a seal.
Got it. 2 orders placed :)

1 for the hole cover plate and 1 for the front and rear block-off plates.

Thx.

ps...i will not go down the rabbit hole...i will not go down the rabbit hole...

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
Got it. 2 orders placed :)

1 for the hole cover plate and 1 for the front and rear block-off plates.

Thx.

ps...i will not go down the rabbit hole...i will not go down the rabbit hole...
Awesome! Any questions on the products let us know.

Rabbit hole… You know you want to watch us build stereos for these trucks :)

Enjoy:
https://youtube.com/@SoundsGoodStereo

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Here is the harness you will need. Now depending on your amplifier will depend on if you need speaker wire or RCA.

What amplifier are you using so I can check for you?

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/collec...harness-to-add-subwoofer-amplifier-to-factory

I've only got the base XLT so I don't have a factory amplified system like the trucks with B&O; I would probably honestly just go with one of the powered JL Audio boxes, either the 8" in this thread or a 10" if the box fits the same.
Sponsored