• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Key blade replacement

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
Hi all. I’ve found this forum to have some incredibly knowledgeable folks…so I’m hoping you can answer a rather benign question I have:
Simply put, I bent the “key blade” that’s housed in the key fob. I figured it should be relatively easy to get a replacement. I asked my service advisor what the cost was. It was roughly $40 for the blade and $15 to cut it…overpriced, but let’s do it, I thought.
Now she’s telling me I have to leave the truck with their department for half a day because that blade (not the fob) has a chip that has to be programed. I went along with this at first, but now I’m questioning this. And frankly it’s a PITA for me to drop the truck off for this innocuous thing I thought they could just do without me or the truck, and then I could pickup the key.

What say you?…is their truth to her story, or am I being taken for a proverbial ride?
Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
don't text a lot so I had to think about what PITA meant.... which took about 2 seconds! agreed what a PITA. will be interested to hear when others chime in.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Hi all. I’ve found this forum to have some incredibly knowledgeable folks…so I’m hoping you can answer a rather benign question I have:
Simply put, I bent the “key blade” that’s housed in the key fob. I figured it should be relatively easy to get a replacement. I asked my service advisor what the cost was. It was roughly $40 for the blade and $15 to cut it…overpriced, but let’s do it, I thought.
Now she’s telling me I have to leave the truck with their department for half a day because that blade (not the fob) has a chip that has to be programed. I went along with this at first, but now I’m questioning this. And frankly it’s a PITA for me to drop the truck off for this innocuous thing I thought they could just do without me or the truck, and then I could pickup the key.

What say you?…is their truth to her story, or am I being taken for a proverbial ride?
This is a total lie on that dealer's part. You can readily purchase the key blades online for like 10 bucks and my local dealership will cut a new key blade for $10 if I have an original to reference. There is no chip in the key blade and your truck shouldn't be required to be left with the service department.

Here's a link to a new blade on Amazon for less than 8 dollars: https://amzn.to/3EEpPQ4

Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Wow suprised at this from the dealer. Incompetent or crooks? Either is just as bad. More importantly I would have assumed it was a dealer only thing.

Thanks for the info!

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
she’s telling me I have to leave the truck with their department for half a day because that blade (not the fob) has a chip that has to be programed.
It sounds like she's getting cutting a key conflated with reprogramming a new key fob and applying a dab of dealer BS, which probably does require a half-day visit in dealer logistics.

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
This is a total lie on that dealer's part. You can readily purchase the key blades online for like 10 bucks and my local dealership will cut a new key blade for $10 if I have an original to reference. There is no chip in the key blade and your truck shouldn't be required to be left with the service department.

Here's a link to a new blade on Amazon for less than 8 dollars: https://amzn.to/3EEpPQ4
Amazon reports that this blade does not fit a 2023 F150L. Are they wrong?

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Yes, they are wrong. Fits just fine in my key fobs. It's simply a matter of Ford having a separate "Lightning specific" part number. But the part is dimensionally and functionally identical to the ICE version.

You've gotta exercise caution with Amazon's fitment tool, sometimes it says something will fit that won't and sometimes, like in this case, it says something isn't compatible when it fits just fine.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
It fit mine fine. Dealer cut the key for $5.
Sponsored