• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Leveling kit surprise (a little info for those considering it)

Quibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Raptor
When I purchased our lightning I had a 2" leveling kit (Rough Country)and larger tires put on at the dealership we bought it from before delivery.

What I didn't realize, never having a leveling kit before, is that every 3k miles you are supposed to have the kit inspected to ensure bolts stay tight and everything is fine. That was a bit of a bummer as one of the benefits of owning an EV is not having to take it for oil changes, etc. That frequency of service trips is actually more service visits than oil changes.

I love the look but am now considering having the kit removed.

If you are thinking about adding a kit to allow for a larger tire be aware that these kits have service requirements (at least the one I had installed does).
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Quibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Raptor
I think the dealer is just trying to make extra money off of you.
I don't think that's the case.

The salesman said they rarely do leveling kits and the sticker for regular service intervals is a Rough Country company branded sticker on the window.

Besides, the dealership is over 100 miles away and they knew I would not be coming back to them for service.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Anytime I need to torque a critical part, I us a sharpie to make a line across the bolt end and nut. Good visual check before your torque verification interval. Have not had any move yet, but you never know.

Go buy a good torque wrench and you should be good.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’ve never heard of a suspension mod that needs a 3000 mile inspection interval. (That could be 60+ inspections over the life of the vehicle)

A properly installed leveling kit shouldn’t be any more or less prone to coming loose than any other suspension component if it was designed and torqued correctly. I’d bet 99%+ of leveled truck owners do not check this regularly, especially on a 3000 mile interval. Hell, if it was installed with the bolts torqued to spec it’s ahead of the game instead of most DIYers just giving it a few “Uga dugas” from the air wrench and calling it a day

I’m guessing someone had an issue or error installing in the past and tried to blame Rough Country when it failed so they interjected some wildly conservative inspection into the manual that they could point to in the future to defend themselves.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Quibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Raptor
Don’t forget to change your blinker fluid too
:rolleyes:
Thanks for the snarky reply.

I've never dealt with a lift kit and was only going by what I has read or was told.

Sorry I didn't come flying into the world with that knowledge already imbued.

Last edited:

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Sierra, 2021 Expedition
I believe the level kit that I had on my previous Sierra stated to have the torque checked after the first 1,000 mi or 3,000 mi I can remember but then it was good after that.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
It's a non issue. The lift manufacturer puts those disclaimers in for CYA.. a spacer or puck lift sits on top of your struts with studs. Even if the bolts come loose the only problem you will have with the puck is if you launch your truck 3 feet in the air allowing enough suspension droop to pull the whole shock out of the tower. I'd be more worried about loose or worn lower ball joints.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
It's a non issue. The lift manufacturer puts those disclaimers in for CYA.. a spacer or puck lift sits on top of your struts with studs. Even if the bolts come loose the only problem you will have with the puck is if you launch your truck 3 feet in the air allowing enough suspension droop to pull the whole shock out of the tower. I'd be more worried about loose or worn lower ball joints.
This man trucks.
Sponsored