• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

License plate relocation

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Model 3, Pacifica Hybrid
I have mine mounted differently than they do. The larger bracket I have on the bottom of the tow hook. I have had no issues with mine. Maybe give that a shot?
Great idea! I wasn’t sure if it would thread correctly but it sounds like it does. I’ll try that. Thanks!
Sponsored

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great idea! I wasn’t sure if it would thread correctly but it sounds like it does. I’ll try that. Thanks!
And I failed miserably. The bracket was destroyed in the process. The problem was with the tiny amount of clearance you have when putting the larger bracket on the bottom. I was able to thumb the screws in but then had to tighten with needle nose pliers. Unfortunately doing it that way caused one of the bolts to bend and not go in all the way. So I had to back it out but they wouldn't thumb unscrew out anymore. So I had to cut the bolt with a dremel otherwise I'd have it hanging there. So I may have to get some new bolts and nuts so I can tighten it from the bottom.

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@MrGreyS1K how did you end up threading the bolts in place? I have such little room to thread the bolts in from the top to the bottom bracket.

OP
OP
MrGreyS1K

MrGreyS1K

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning XLT SR
@MrGreyS1K how did you end up threading the bolts in place? I have such little room to thread the bolts in from the top to the bottom bracket.
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation C59454D0-D7E7-47D2-862E-1904E879F180

This helped me hold everything in place while I lined up the holes and tighten everything down.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning

Sponsored

Broonarmy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, Smoked Quartz
@MrGreyS1K Thanks for posting this. I put mine on (as you described) a couple of weeks ago but forgot to reply. Works really well. Great info and pictures so I appreciate it.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
There's no option for lightning, which engine did you choose, or does it not matter?
I was able to get the Mishmoto to install perfectly on my Lightning in the same way that was described here, though I managed to do it without the assistance of a clamp. Needle-nose pliers seemed to work well enough for me to get the nuts threaded on, though it was a tight fit working in that small space, especially when installing them when it was like 10 degrees outside and snowing.
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20221217_130510
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20230114_163400
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20230114_163412

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
I got pulled over Sunday for no license plate so immediately ordered this.

Just installed it today. Installed with bolt downward, but smaller plate on top, and held the bolt head with some needle noses and used a ratchet on the bottom nut. Seems good enough.

Will report back if parking sensors are wonky.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
Picked this up on Amazon for $30, used some stop nuts and a safety zip tie. Hasn't messed with the parking sensors at all, bent a little during install but I'm ok with that.

PXL_20220911_202516075~2.jpg
I got the same one. Love it!
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation Screenshot_20230614_102203_Gallery

Last edited:

Sponsored

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I'm about to move to a one plate state. While I love it, I think I will love it removed more. Lol

FordBookends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat, ‘68 Mustang Conv, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Engineer
Here is another solution for those needing a front plate mount and not wanting to drill holes in their truck. This is a grille clamp on design that I have been running for over a month without issues. If you have access to a 3D printer and are looking for something a little more symmetrical (and not blocking the sensors), then this may be a solution. So far I am not seeing any issues with airflow/temperature rise but I have not run in temperatures over 90deg F very much.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6253606

I included original STP format files along with the STL files out there if some of the creative folks on the forum want to improve on the design.

Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation Front Plate Frame

Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation Front Plate Mount

Attachments

Fastmikerx7

First Name
FM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR
Occupation
.GOV
In this thread I saw some of those neat offset front license plate brackets but I didn't want to wait for shipping, so, 4 hrs and $0.00 later(other than clear cover I added that I did buy for under $20), I got er done.

All the stuff/junk/hardware I used was from around my garage that I scrounged up along with the factory license plate holder that I told the dealer to not install..

A little bit hokey but should do the job.

I used pretty heavy material and quality hardware and reinforced the factory holder with some extra metal on both sides so it should be good to go. it is pretty beefy/solid.

It doesn't touch any part of the truck other than at the clamps on the tow hook.
I had to do some creative notching to get it as close to the truck as possible.

I wrapped some electrical tape around the hook so I didn't get scratched up even though that kind of doesn't matter since it is a tow/retrieval hook.

What WOULD matter is if it messes with adaptive/blue cruise/parking sensors but I don't think it will..

I just didn't think it made sense to cover a good portion of the air intake even though it is unlikely that I will ever heat the truck up here in WA.

That said, it is probably more aerodynamic to put the plate in the middle of the truck and block off a portion of the intake.

Putting holes in the body to mount the plate above the grill wasn't in my wheelhouse either.

Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20231011_102152

I do not go thru car-washes so no worries there but it would probably do fine.

Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20231011_095549
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20231011_102201
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20231011_102213
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20231011_102231
Ford F-150 Lightning License plate relocation 20231011_102503

Getting those nuts on were a bugger due to no finger space so I scratched up the paint.

I will repaint when it stops raining even though the pieces are galv'd steel.

FM

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
In this thread I saw some of those neat offset front license plate brackets but I didn't want to wait for shipping, so, 4 hrs and $0.00 later(other than clear cover I added that I did buy for under $20), I got er done.

All the stuff/junk/hardware I used was from around my garage that I scrounged up along with the factory license plate holder that I told the dealer to not install..

A little bit hokey but should do the job.

I used pretty heavy material and quality hardware and reinforced the factory holder with some extra metal on both sides so it should be good to go. it is pretty beefy/solid.

It doesn't touch any part of the truck other than at the clamps on the tow hook.
I had to do some creative notching to get it as close to the truck as possible.

I wrapped some electrical tape around the hook so I didn't get scratched up even though that kind of doesn't matter since it is a tow/retrieval hook.

What WOULD matter is if it messes with adaptive/blue cruise/parking sensors but I don't think it will..

I just didn't think it made sense to cover a good portion of the air intake even though it is unlikely that I will ever heat the truck up here in WA.

That said, it is probably more aerodynamic to put the plate in the middle of the truck and block off a portion of the intake.

Putting holes in the body to mount the plate above the grill wasn't in my wheelhouse either.

20231011_102152.jpg

I do not go thru car-washes so no worries there but it would probably do fine.

20231011_095549.jpg
20231011_102201.jpg
20231011_102213.jpg
20231011_102231.jpg
20231011_102503.jpg

Getting those nuts on were a bugger due to no finger space so I scratched up the paint.

I will repaint when it stops raining even though the pieces are galv'd steel.

FM
Lower that and it looks like it could be sturdy enough to be a snow plow.

wautard1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat
Or, just don’t run a front plate. I know Washington “requires” one but the dealer never installed mine. Or that’s at least what I’m going to say when the police ask.
Sponsored