• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning bigger than my garage!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
If I am not mistaken though, it comes with a standard 110 plug and then a 14-50 style plug. That's why I suggested that outlet style.
True. On a 110v circuit you can fully charge a Lightning in a bit over a week.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
True. On a 110v circuit you can fully charge a Lightning in a bit over a week.
There is a fairly significant number of people in the USA that drive less than 30 miles a day. Those people should be able to recoup that range overnight with 110. Sure it isn't optimal but for someone who fits that usage pattern and for whatever reason doesn't have access to a 220v outlet, it could work.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
There is a fairly significant number of people in the USA that drive less than 30 miles a day. Those people should be able to recoup that range overnight with 110. Sure it isn't optimal but for someone who fits that usage pattern and for whatever reason doesn't have access to a 220v outlet, it could work.
It'd be tough. There is probably a reason that Ford spec sheet for Lightning does not include charge timing with 110V outlet. It's approximately 2 miles per hour of charging.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Yes, as long as you have access to a DCFC for those times you need to drive farther. The problem is if you come home near empty. With my Leaf, our 24A charger not only can cover our daily driving but can easily recharge an empty 30kWh battery over night (5.5 hours to full). With our Mach E, I can't quite recharge an empty battery 88kWh overnight but can in two (16+ hours). A Lightning would take double that time again, making our charger inadequate. Two long days of driving and back home requires either hitting a DCFC on the way home to charge to ~80% in between.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
It'd be tough. There is probably a reason that Ford spec sheet for Lightning does not include charge timing with 110V outlet. It's approximately 2 miles per hour of charging.
Charging a Mach E on 110v takes about 96 hours. The Lightning will have a battery about twice that size, so double the time -- roughly 8 days.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Then a day later it came to me ... Im parking the Lightning diagonally :cool:(y).
Just remember, the diagonal length of the truck is longer than the length from bumper to bumper.

The good ole (I'll never use it in my lifetime) Pythagorean Theorem will help you determine the diagonal length.

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
If I am not mistaken though, it comes with a standard 110 plug and then a 14-50 style plug. That's why I suggested that outlet style.
True. The whole "no 40A receptacle standard" issue is confusing when talking about 32A EVSE!

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Just measured my garage... 21'9". My problem will be that the main panel in my house is stacked full, with the solar array taking up the final spots. I'm not sure I can add a sub-panel without upgrading my main. 1st world problems, right?
You can move your solar array to a sub-panel and back feed from there. That's how one of mine is set up. Main to 60 amp panel to (4) 20 amp solar back feed and (1) 50 amp to 40 amp EVSE.

ocwill1

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 502A, 2021 Lexus RX350(wifey)
Occupation
Computer System Engineer
You are going to want to use 220v to charge at home. Charging from 110v will take several days to fully charge unless you are only driving 30 or 40 miles a day(you may not even recoup that overnight). The charger cable that comes with the truck will need a hole probably close to 2 inches to fit through. You'll be better off installing a 14-50 outlet on the exterior if you plan on using the included charging cable. If you are getting the ER battery you will also get the ford 80amp charger which will have to be professionally installed as it will also require a main shutoff so that the truck will not feed back into the grid. The 80 amp charger will be required to use the home backup power feature.
Understood, but the hole is big enough to run the charging cable through, the plan was to have the 80A installed inside garage and use the hole I created to run the charge cable into. The original plan was to install a plug in the wall where I poke the hole, however I decided to just run an extension cord through to the outlet. That is why the hole is big enough.... I will also have to bring in a separate 100 or 200 amp service to my house as I have had 2 additions added and probably do not have enough amperage in my original breaker box. Will have it tested first, but am preparing for the worst

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
You might want to check the specs again. What I show is 13 miles/ hr for the 32amp 240 volt charger. I didn’t see 120volt listed but just based on the math for 12 amp 120 volt it will take about 4 days. My Kona takes 2 days on 120 v and it is only a 64 kwhr battery

Sponsored

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You might want to check the specs again. What I show is 13 miles/ hr for the 32amp 240 volt charger. I didn’t see 120volt listed but just based on the math for 12 amp 120 volt it will take about 4 days. My Kona takes 2 days on 120 v and it is only a 64 kwhr battery
Yeah, the standard EVSE is probably 120V or 240V. On 120V it'll pull 10A or so and will take days.

gmwalk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Yamaha (motorcycle)
Occupation
SW Engineer
I am going to need an outside charger. The length of the F150 Lightning isn't a problem for me; the height is. The truck is nearly 79" tall. My garage is only 75" tall under the opening and garage door openers.

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I am going to need an outside charger. The length of the F150 Lightning isn't a problem for me; the height is. The truck is nearly 79" tall. My garage is only 75" tall under the opening and garage door openers.
I stopped measuring after the length wouldn’t fit ?

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've got 96" height under the door, the opener higher yet!

but only 245" length to the back wall, hmph
Sponsored