• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
I have an extended range Lariat and my predicted range is way off. I have about 1300 miles on the truck. My trip meter since I have received it shows an average of 2.3 miles per kWh, which would be just over 300 mile range. But my predicted range is nowhere near that. Thinking it might help calibrate it I recently charged it to 100% and drove it down to 33%. I drove just over 200 miles which is in line with a range of 300 miles. Now my truck is charging and it is telling my range at 100% is going to be just 227 miles. I am worried something is wrong with the truck.

I have a lot of other little weird things happening too. On board scales don't show in my app. My heated steering will does not always work. Etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
Lariat ER with ~1800mi on the odometer. My guess-o-meter says about ~250 miles on a full charge. That doesn't surprise me - most of my driving is either at/above 80mph on the highway or doing *brisk* acceleration around town. I would expect the number to go down even further in the colder temps that are now upon us. Generally my trips indicate about 1.8 mi/kwh so that lines up.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Lariat ER with ~1800mi on the odometer. My guess-o-meter says about ~250 miles on a full charge. That doesn't surprise me - most of my driving is either at/above 80mph on the highway or doing *brisk* acceleration around town. I would expect the number to go down even further in the colder temps that are now upon us. Generally my trips indicate about 1.8 mi/kwh so that lines up.
Yeah 80mph absolutely kills range. It's a 25% hit vs 65mph (which should give close to 2.4mi/kWh).

One thing you could try is folding in the mirrors when doing 80. Do it safely of course. I've heard you get back 10% or more, but I can't confirm this with any science. :)

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
Lariat ER I am at 205 with 85% charge so 240. It’s 35 degrees and I park outside. Fully expect to see some ranges below 200 at 100% when it is minus 20 this winter.

Sponsored

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Yeah 80mph absolutely kills range. It's a 25% hit vs 65mph (which should give close to 2.4mi/kWh).

One thing you could try is folding in the mirrors when doing 80. Do it safely of course. I've heard you get back 10% or more, but I can't confirm this with any science. :)
LOL does that actually work? if so the US needs to get with the times and allow digital side mirrors. I imagine it would be even better than folded mirrors.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Real World Range -- What's Yours? A3323331-604E-4DD1-9DEC-3C508731A1CF
This truck is awesome for a trip to and from the grocery store. This is on my way home

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
It’s not. It’s pretty flat actually. One little hill down, one back up to the house
Definitely a glitch with the software. 145 watt hours per mile is physically impossible for the Lightning. My guess is driving at super low speeds (25-35 mph), flat roads and very few stops, 300 watt hours per mile (3.3 miles/kWh) would be the best case for the Lightning.

Sponsored

hihosilver

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat - SR - Oxford White - MaxTow
Yeah. Glitch. I hate to break it to you guys but the truck frequently fails to reset the miles traveled on the trip meter and then calculates some outrageous mi/Kwh numbers. I understand that this glitch has conveniently been around since the early days of the MME and still hasn't been fixed by Ford. I am seriously hoping that this doesn't affect the trucks overall range calculations. My SR is doing about 2.8 with easy pedaling.

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
My first 150 miles 90% town and 10% highway, subtle hills with the ac blasting and ambient temp @ 87 and 75% humidity and I'm clocking 2.8 miles/kWh or 357 watt-hours per mile. This is significantly better than what I was getting with my old PHEV Pacifica where I was consuming about 460 watt-hours/mile. And not a whole lot worse than what my wife was getting with our Model Y (about 270 watt-hours/mile). Very impressed with the efficiency of this beast. The efficiency of the truck really shines if you're not taking it above 60 mph very often. With mostly urban commuting it really outperforms ICE by a huge margin.

Vithar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 2017 Explory
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Haven't logged into here in a while, but just did some review of my driving history, thought about sharing and this thread seems a good enough spot for it.

For work I used to get a gas card, which doesn't really work with the lightning, so we worked out an arrangement where I track my charging and driving on a spreadsheet and can get reimbursed for part of my electrical bill based on it. So let me start out with, I really really wish the fordpass app would let you export the data in some standard csv like format. @Ford Motor Company please notice this and add a way to export the driving and charging history...

So, each week I manually add my new driving and charging data to my little database... I got the idea to compare how my efficiency is affected by the ambient air temperature during driving. Its not reported on the app, but I was able to pull data from a website for each of my time stamped drives. Not perfect but pretty good.

My data set covers 2200 miles even though at the time of writing I have driven just over 3200 miles, there are some un-entered data from the fordpass app, and some drives are just missing from the app for some reason (at least 4 missing data points are over 150 miles each). The Ford Pass App includes "efficiency" but it also gives miles and kWh used. Doing the math on the miles and kWh gives slightly different values than the reported Efficiency. Some times the error in reported efficiency is big, like some kind of bug is present, one example in my data set is the math giving 2.3 and app reports 12.5, so ether the miles, kWh, or Efficiency is reported wrong. Since it was a 0.7 mile drive, I assumed the Efficiency is reported wrong, so what follows is with doing the math and not using the reported efficiency.

First look at the data:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Real World Range -- What's Yours? 1665699638841

Is not very interesting.

After filtering out all the drives under 5 miles, and making some brackets for different ranges, gives a bit more interesting results.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Real World Range -- What's Yours? 1665758486229

For my range brackets the average so far has been:
  • Under 25 miles = 2.60
  • Under 50 miles = No Data
  • Under 100 miles = 2.28
  • Over 100 miles = 2.26

Splitting the temps into under and over 70F averages are:
  • Under 70 F = 2.23
  • Over 70F = 2.43

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Very interesting post, Vithar. Maybe something like "fuelly" will set up a way to record things like this.
Maybe most don't find it interesting or would keep up with it, but I would.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

A big problem with the internet is "I heard". Since you put a smiley face, I expect you know that a 10% or more gain in efficiency is absolute BS.

I've read TESTs that show at most 2% +/- increase. So that 2.4 miles per kWh becomes 2.448.

Of course you aren't getting 2.4. You may be getting 2.345 or you may be getting 2.444.
Sponsored