• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lower Range from Day 1

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
If you're getting 205 in Mass this time of year thats good. In spring, early summer you'll probably exceed 240mi if your driving is not interstate speeds..
Summers are great. The summertime range on my Standard Range XLT has reached 300 miles.
Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
looking forward to it. my current range is 144 miles at 90%
Just keep one thing in mind, the estimate is basically a guess based on a bunch of variables including your previous history, which can reset them from time to time to make it a bit more accurate.

Speed, load weight, and elevation change are a big part of the math. It takes a lot more power to a heavy load drive up a mountain than empty on a flat road.

I live in NYC, where the highway speed limit is 50, and 95% of the roads have a 25 mile per hour speed limit, so the computer factors my typical driving speed into the math. The joke of it is that you feel lucky any time you can go over 20 on the highway because of the traffic.

On a new truck, those initial parameters may be way off, because a lot of the power used up since it was first turned on weren't used for actual driving, so if they shipped it with 20 miles on the odometer, and it drained 10% while testing or waiting for delivery, it could estimate that you'll use 10% of your battery just to go 20 miles. That's why resetting the parameters is a good idea. In fact, Ford recommends people reset those stats before and after the winter so it can base all the math on the current conditions.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
How do I reset that data?
I have the 12" screen, so the locations may be different, but basically you will look for settings, then vehicle, then look for "EV Driving History". You can reset it there and your range calculations will have a clean slate and normalize after it factors in your actual daily driving patterns.

Sponsored

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
The biggest challenge for EV adoption is going to be getting people to understand the impact of cold, and speed, on battery range.
Sounds like the EPA estimates should be adjusted to include 2 ratings, warm temp vs cool temp.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Sounds like the EPA estimates should be adjusted to include 2 ratings, warm temp vs cool temp.
Why? They don't on gas vehicles, which also lose range in winter.

Maybe consumers need to get better educated / be smarter / be less clueless?

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Why? They don't on gas vehicles, which also lose range in winter.

Maybe consumers need to get better educated / be smarter / be less clueless?
You misinterpret, I mean for both ICE and EV.

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I see both sides of this argument. There needs to be a better education or transition course for buyers. I knew my stuff and did my research which is why I opted for the ER I was expecting a pretty hefty drop in the winter.

My 21 Powerboost gets 24/24 in the summer and 18/21 if im lucky in the winter so I was expecting a drop of about that or a bit more. That small (~25%) drop isn't a big deal in my current wheels because there is a gas station every 12 feet and I can fill up. The shift in thinking comes into play and I expect to have to plan my actions more carefully. This where I think some consumer training or "transition" courses could come into play.

I only see this issue getting worse (at least in the short term), especially on road trips, as more EVs are sold and the infrastructure isn't built up or maintained.

Say what you will about Tesla/Elon but the Supercharger network is incredible. I was driving through some back country WV and ran across a station at a Sheetz - thats some pretty incredible vertical integration.

I have faith Ford will get there especially with the Model E dealership scheme.
Sponsored