• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lower Range from Day 1

pqMMA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT SR
So sorry if this has been discussed here ( I couldn't find it). I could delivery of my truck just about a week ago. It's a XLT with the standard range battery. Right now ,100% gets me to 205 mile range 90% to 195.

Everything I read says the range should be 240 m at 100%, so 214m at 90%.

Any thoughts on whether I may have got a bad battery of what is accounting for the difference?
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You're getting better than me. I'm at 196 miles at 90% on on ER battery.

It's cold out. You're going to get lower range.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
Temperature below 50°F will reduce range. Both because you need to consider extra energy to hear the cabin and because the battery is less efficient at those temperatures.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Everything I read says the range should be 240 m at 100%
If it's highway miles you're driving 100% EPA Range is 202 miles

Blame your heater for most of the range loss. Bundle up and prove it to yourself as an experiment

Sponsored
OP
OP

pqMMA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT SR
Thanks for the insight. My gut told me lower temps were the reason. I've in Massachusetts, so most nights are are in the 20-40 degree range right now.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Thanks for the insight. My gut told me lower temps were the reason. I've in Massachusetts, so most nights are are in the 20-40 degree range right now.
If you're getting 205 in Mass this time of year thats good. In spring, early summer you'll probably exceed 240mi if your driving is not interstate speeds..

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
Blame your heater for most of the range loss. Bundle up and prove it to yourself as an experiment
It isn't just the heater (although it doesn't help). You could drive with the heater off and you're still losing over 10% to air density alone at freezing temps compared to 77F, the battery chemistry inefficiencies are greater at low temps as well.

OP
OP

pqMMA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT SR
So I've had my truck less than 2 weeks. My range shows 146 mph at 90%, implies a 162 mph range. That's 78 miles less than the Ford marketing for the standard range. There has to be more to this than just cold temperatures.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
So I've had my truck less than 2 weeks. My range shows 146 mph at 90%, implies a 162 mph range. That's 78 miles less than the Ford marketing for the standard range. There has to be more to this than just cold temperatures.
What mile/kWh values are you getting on your various trip? 1.6 will get you those numbers. 70+ mph cold weather driving will get you in that range

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The biggest challenge for EV adoption is going to be getting people to understand the impact of cold, and speed, on battery range.

Did you ever notice that your gas powered vehicle got lower range in the winter?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/col...eather effects can vary,to 45% on short trips.

Ford Marketing has to use the EPA estimate. Did you get the EPA estimate on every gas vehicle you have owned?

You live in Massachusetts. In the dead of winter, you should expect 35 - 40% lower range than in the summer, NOT compared to the EPA range which is likely higher.

My Mach-E has an EPA range of 277. With a 91kWh battery, that assumes 3.04 miles per kilowatt hour. On the highway in the summer, I get 2.9 to 3.0 driving at 73 on the highway. Faster and it drops. In the winter in 20s, barely using heat, I get 2.4 to 2.5. Blast the heat and it's 2.1 to or so.

Precondition using a departure time. Use heated seats and steering wheel. Set heat to 68, Auto, and fan speed 1. Keep speed as close to 65 as safe.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
so 170 miles in the winter is a reasonable expectation after the first couple years of battery degradation for the SR trucks? this truck needs a heat pump ASAP.

OP, your battery is fine. you'll know for sure once you've driven through all the seasons. just keep in mind the first year will be the most range the truck will ever have. you'll see the most battery degradation in the first couple years of ownership. after that it should be negligible.

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
so 170 miles in the winter is a reasonable expectation after the first couple years of battery degradation for the SR trucks? this truck needs a heat pump ASAP.

OP, your battery is fine. you'll know for sure once you've driven through all the seasons. just keep in mind the first year will be the most range the truck will ever have. you'll see the most battery degradation in the first couple years of ownership. after that it should be negligible.
I think you'll find that your highway range will be less than that on a very cold day if you don't even turn the heat on.
Sponsored