• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Made a new friend (Electric Chevrolet Silverado)

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
While I prefer CarPlay, I’m a tech guy and software developer and I use both Android and Apple, my biggest complaint here is how GM is currently gatekeeping app access to their store.
This describes me as well. And the fact of the matter is I've currently chosen Apple as the entity I'm willing to live with as a gatekeeper. I don't know whether that will change at some point, but you can be pretty damned certain if I ever move to another walled garden for my tech integration it's not going to be a walled garden built by an auto manufacturer.

I'm not thrilled by Apple, really. It's just that they're by far the least-bad option right now.

Ford has said they’re transitioning to a full android system. They also said they would not restrict CarPlay. We’ll see what happens, but as of now, Ford is definitely behind and below the curve on software integration.
And yet I bought a Ford instead of a Chevy. Might buy another one too if they drop the Mach-E price a bit more. I really like the bolt, but the fact of the matter is that I'll take worse - but delegated and non-vendor locked - software integration over polished software that locks me in every single day of the week.

Hopefully the Massachusetts ban on sale of location data passes and spreads to New York and California and all this stuff becomes moot when car manufacturers can't sell us as products anymore.
Sponsored

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you see it actually charging at 350kW? Would be interesting to see how hot the cable gets!

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
It should be more efficient than the lightning, I bet it gets close to 300 for the lower range model.
Based on the EPA range rating of 450 miles and the media’s speculation that it has a 212 kwh useable capacity, that would indicate the truck averages close to 2.1 mi/kwh, and even at 500 miles of range like the engineer said, that comes out to be slightly less than 2.4 mi/kwh. The Lightning’s EPA range rating of 320 miles has it’s average at 2.44 mi/kwh which in my experience of almost 20k miles on mine, it has average between 2.4-2.5 mi/kwh and that is with a full winter of driving. Warm months which is what most of the Silverado EV testing lately has been in, I average 2.7-3 mi/kwh in my truck, which is good for 350-390 miles of non-interstate driving. I know they are saying the Silverado EV has a really low drag co-efficient for a truck but I will be surprised if it is more efficient than the lightning, which must be due to it’s weight.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you see it actually charging at 350kW? Would be interesting to see how hot the cable gets!
Cable heat is due to the current flowing through it, not KW. A vehicle with 800V architecture can charge at twice the rate at the same amps as our 400V vehicles.

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Interested in seeing the Charging Curve. It really doesn't matter about the peak if it cant hold it for long.

Sponsored

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning, Bronco Badlands, 1968 Mustang
Occupation
MD Director of Technology
I am curious how many times it has broken down and left him stranded. The last two GM ICE vehicle had a lot of engineering issues that caused break downs, I can't image how bad it must be in a whole new platform for them.

HammaHamma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PB, MME, ST
Interested in seeing the Charging Curve. It really doesn't matter about the peak if it cant hold it for long.
That's not true for the most part. At all points it's adding about double range per minute than 400v architectures. The battery is ~2x the size which keeps its C rate about the same. So the GM platform should get just under double the range per minute of charge. That's where these monster sized batteries shine, particularly being 800v. We're talking 265 miles of range in 30 minutes. That's at least 50 minutes of lightning charging time. Those minutes add up quick on the road.

Combine that with a full charge to start out and you're going 750 miles by means of a single 30 minute charging session so long as you're stopping at a charger. Nearly 400 miles of towing alternatively. That's a pretty big deal, certainly moving the goal posts for damn sure. Not sure it's quite $100k worth of truck.

Now if cybertruck comes out with similar range and 14klb towing under 90k, that's going to move the goal posts further forcing the L2 to really no less than match it. If CT launches with 3 motors like the plaid, it's going to be ~1000hp.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Even Tesla that forced everyone else to announce a $40K truck is not going to make one but I owe them big time because if they didn't, I wouldn't be able to get my hands on that unicorn from Ford.
"The enemy of my preferred manufacturer is my friend." or something like that...?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
"The enemy of my preferred manufacturer is my friend." or something like that...?
But I wonder what happens when enemies (Farley and Musk) become friends. Short term, it may be good for us (supercharger availability). Long term, if competition weakens and every company except one lose negotiating power, we will pay the price. That is why, I usually try to support the underdog.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But I wonder what happens when enemies (Farley and Musk) become friends. Short term, it may be good for us (supercharger availability). Long term, if competition weakens and every company except one lose negotiating power, we will pay the price. That is why, I usually try to support the underdog.
There have been many alliances in the auto industry that were very much limited in scope where enemies never became friends. The Ford/GM collaboration on the 10 speed transmission is a recent example. 30+ years ago Toyota made Geo models for GM.

For now, I’m putting this charging alliance in that category.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
There have been many alliances in the auto industry that were very much limited in scope where enemies never became friends. The Ford/GM collaboration on the 10 speed transmission is a recent example. 30+ years ago Toyota made Geo models for GM.

For now, I’m putting this charging alliance in that category.
No complaints from me. I may actually be able to travel with my standard pack because of it. But joint transmission development is a completely different animal. If Tesla puts EA out of business, they have a competitive advantage by which they can control sales of GM and Ford products. Right now this agreement helps Ford sell EVs but Tesla will have a much stronger control over market share; if they decides to increase supercharging prices by 200% after EA is dead and at the same time, give 50% supercharging discount for 5 years to every new Tesla owner, GM and Ford will pay for the agreement they just made by handing over more market share to Tesla. And all of us will have to take that 200% increase with a smile. The sad thing is even if I knew for a fact all of this would come to pass, given current state of charging infrastructure, I still would say yes to the deal. Just saying if we see a monopoly down the road and the baggage that comes with it, we should not act surprised.

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Cable heat is due to the current flowing through it, not KW. A vehicle with 800V architecture can charge at twice the rate at the same amps as our 400V vehicles.
What's the equation for power, again?

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I loathe GM….antiquated giant that has done more to destroy American vehicle production than help it. That being said, competition is GOOD. We need the Silverado to be successful. I have my doubts but please, be at least decent.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What's the equation for power, again?
Voltage X Current = Power.

So our Lightnings charging at 175 KW would draw about 435 Amps, using a nominal 400V.
The Silverado charging at 350 KW would also draw 435A at a nominal 800V.
Sponsored