• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Manual Transfer Switch Install Costs

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-e
Hey yall,

if I was not looking to install the generac 6852 myself, what would a reasonable cost for installation? I know this price is going to vary by region but just a ballpark figure is what I’m hoping to get so I can shop around informed. I really like getting my electrical work permitted but many of the electricians I’ve spoken to prefer to not to. If it matters I’m in Southern California (where everything is unreasonably more expensive)

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I am not an electrician, nor do I play one on TV. Anyone who refuses to get a permit wouldn't be someone I would hire.

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly!! I don’t understand why it’s so outrageous to ask for a permit!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly!! I don’t understand why it’s so outrageous to ask for a permit!
Reasons:

1) The work I did is shoddy, and the inspector will find it.

2) The timetable they have is absurd.

3) Their requirements go beyond code and are a pain. There is a township near here that many contractors refuse to perform work in. Heard it from multiple people.

We had a generator put in, two different inspections (gas, electric). Both done after the job was done, both didn't require the contractor to be here, both painless.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Reasons:

1) The work I did is shoddy, and the inspector will find it.

2) The timetable they have is absurd.

3) Their requirements go beyond code and are a pain. There is a township near here that many contractors refuse to perform work in. Heard it from multiple people.

We had a generator put in, two different inspections (gas, electric). Both done after the job was done, both didn't require the contractor to be here, both painless.
4. In some locales, the permit database is used to trigger potential property tax increases. Normally for home additions and such, but you never know.

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Hey yall,

if I was not looking to install the generac 6852 myself, what would a reasonable cost for installation? I know this price is going to vary by region but just a ballpark figure is what I’m hoping to get so I can shop around informed. I really like getting my electrical work permitted but many of the electricians I’ve spoken to prefer to not to. If it matters I’m in Southern California (where everything is unreasonably more expensive)

Thanks everyone!
Depending on location of your main panel, if its flush or surface mount, location of the backup circuits... I'd ballpark you at 4-6 hours depending on complexity. Could go up from there.

People don't permit things because they are an added cost on top of the cost of the installation. This can effectively double the cost of the installation. 2 Hours Labor to apply, Permit fees, and up to 4 hours to stand for the inspection.

That's 6 hours for paperwork, when I only charged 6 for the job.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Not quite the same, but when I had my FCSP installed, it was 2 visits and probably around 4 hours of work between them. Paid $900 + $150 for city permit. I went through Qmerit ( @tommolog recommended ) and was very happy with the service.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I’ll take 20 years experience no permit 7 days out of 7. Provided you understand the scope of the work, and the safety requirements. Just because there is no permit doesn’t mean it’s not up to code. People typically have their reasons for not pulling a permit. As long as the work is done properly and competently you’ll be fine. Alternatively, just because work is permitted doesn’t mean it can’t be a trainwreck.

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are there any implications to insurance regarding permitting? Or is that a myth?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are there any implications to insurance regarding permitting? Or is that a myth?
It depends on a lot of things, such as the laws of your state, which company, and the nature of the insurance claim as it may or may not involve the unpermitted work.

Since you’re in Cali, I’ll note that there are some pretty extensive changes to the real estate seller’s disclosure laws taking effect in July. Much of the new requirements are geared around disclosing unpermitted work. These’s been quite a discussion about this on an electrical forum I visit. Since I’m not a Californian, I haven’t paid much attention to the particulars, but you may be interested in investigating further.

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Using a licensed electrician and pulling a permit may improve the chances of a quality installation but it does not guarantee it.

My first newly built house had "shockingly" serious electrical issues. It was in a one builder community development. The HOA filed a class action law suit against them.

Even though the house was still within the 1 year warranty period the builder refused to fix the issues and stated it was the electrical contractors liability who had since closed up their business. The original city inspector was fired by the city, lost his Master Electrician License after he was convicted of taking a payoff and looking the other way.

I insisted that the city do a reinspection which they reluctantly did. They wrote up (red tagged) multiple serious violations. Mostly related to grounding and bonding.

I pulled a Homeowner electrical permit and spent several weekends bringing it up to code myself. It passed inspection the first time I had the inspector come out and reinspect.

I am not an electrician but I've pulled multiple electrical and plumbing permits and done the work myself. Since I find myself too old and not flexible enough to crawl through the attic, I've also recently had quality work done by licensed electricians with and without a permit. All work was done to code or exceeded code.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
Most insurers, upon discovering that an unpermitted electrical installation was the source of a fire, would deny coverage...

Consider biting the bullet, paying the money, and getting a permit!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can't imagine where you could sell a property without noting on a Seller's Disclosure that you had work done without a permit. While some might not even read a Seller's Disclosure, I can tell you that if I see that I then dig deeper to find out what was done. If it's anything like playing with the breaker box, I would either be done, or require an inspection as condition of sale.

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m going the permitted route, waiting to hear back on cost but with the Generac 9854 I’m already at $1,650 parts and installation but before permit cost which is why I asked about going rates. I struggled to find an Electrian to permit my EVSE but eventually found a great one, he retired thou so it’s back to looking around.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m going the permitted route, waiting to hear back on cost but with the Generac 9854 I’m already at $1,650 parts and installation but before permit cost which is why I asked about going rates. I struggled to find an Electrian to permit my EVSE but eventually found a great one, he retired thou so it’s back to looking around.
I’d call that retired guy and ask him for a referral. People in the trades know each other.
Sponsored