• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Backup with Ford Charge Station Pro and Manual Transfer Switch?

JC688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Honda Odyssey, BMW M3, Porsche GT3, 911…..
I’m wondering if it’s possible to utilize the bi directional Ford charge station pro with a manual transfer switch for home backup? It’s 9.6kw from the charge port vs 7.2kw from the bed 240v outlet. I don’t need the fancy automatic switch over during power outage or data analysis or want to deal with the registration or Sunrun headache. I just like to utilize the full 9.6kw from the charge port and charge station pro. My electrician has installed a sub panel and moved the critical loads over. Appreciate any input.
Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
No unfortunately Ford’s implementation isn’t bidirectional in that sense. The FCSP method seems to send DC out of the CCS pins and requires an on premise SunRun DC to AC inverter.

You can alternatively use the built in inverter via the L14-30 (generator plug) on the car, connected to a generator inlet to your house to back feed your panel using Pro Power Onboard, but you’ll have to solve the bonded neutral issue one way or another, plus it’s less automatic in that you have to go start the truck and probably turn off the heater and whatnot on the truck itself to save juice.

OP
OP

JC688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve read the pro power onboard and generator plug thread. It’s a good solution but doesn’t draw the full 9.6kw. Does anyone know if others make a DC to AC inverter besides delta? I can do away with the dark battery and just have a manual transfer switch and inverter.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Whatever you connected to the CCS connector would need to have the correct handshake protocol to energize the HVB contactors and get the DC power to the port.
The auto setup handles this using the HIS and FCSP. I doubt there’s anything else out there that can do this.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Stick with the onboard inverters, balance your needs between the frunks 2.4kw and the beds 7.4kw

Sponsored

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
I’ve read the pro power onboard and generator plug thread. It’s a good solution but doesn’t draw the full 9.6kw. Does anyone know if others make a DC to AC inverter besides delta? I can do away with the dark battery and just have a manual transfer switch and inverter.
It was supposed to be available Q2 this year, but apparently licensing issues are delaying the product release to 2024.. but my plan is to wait for this: https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works. I don't know if it will hold, but the price point they've advertised is in the $1,500 range.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
You'll also need to wait for Ford to implement the ISO 15118 V2G interface protocol. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Can you enlighten me/elaborate some? .. When i talked to Emporia they said the charger would work with the Lightning and didn't mention anything about this protocol

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Can you enlighten me/elaborate some? .. When i talked to Emporia they said the charger would work with the Lightning and didn't mention anything about this protocol
I'm no expert so hopefully someone else will chime in. But the Emporia site says the charger uses the ISO 15118 V2G protocol. Part of this protocol is Plug & Charge which Ford does support in the Blue Oval network. But I believe the part about bi-directional charging (ISO 15118-20) is newer than when the Lightning came to be.
But if they say it will work then I guess it will and that would be awesome. Just make sure it works bi-directional and not just to charge to truck.

OP
OP

JC688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Emporia specs say integrated DC/AC inverter. That’s makes this a really sleek and tidy setup compared to the HIS. The discharge output seems lower than the HIS?

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I mean, until they demonstrate this, I remain skeptical. The lightning has never been said to comply with that protocol mentioned and the FCSP/Intelligent Backup software in the car and app specifically require pairing to a FCSP and won’t let you do anything until that happens.

This sounds like the made up specification bullet point about how the FCSP can charge Teslas but that is fully debunked, even after dremeling the adapter.
Sponsored