• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Melting snow and ice off the hood?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've had a Mach-E for almost two years at this point and it has always been garaged, so I have never given this much thought. Now that I have the Lightning, too, and it can't fit in my garage, it is sitting outside on the street all the time and with snowy season here in Chicago arriving, it is building up snow and ice on the hood because there is no heat-producing engine to help melt it off. I had thought about getting one of those HeatTrax mats that you can buy for meltj g snow and ice off of sidewalks/driveways to plug in and melt it off, but my wife is worried that I will scratch up the truck that way. Does anyone have any thoughts on safe methods to melt the snow and ice off the truck in the winter? It would have been great if a hood heater could have been added/included similar to the rear window defroster.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I use a snow brush that also has a squeegee on it and that does a pretty good job, but I'm definitely ending up with ice and snow building up. I wonder if the waxing would help prevent that in my situation.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you fill the frunk with boiling water, it will melt the hood.

I typed that knowing that somewhere in the universe some bozo will do that.

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I've had a Mach-E for almost two years at this point and it has always been garaged, so I have never given this much thought. Now that I have the Lightning, too, and it can't fit in my garage, it is sitting outside on the street all the time and with snowy season here in Chicago arriving, it is building up snow and ice on the hood because there is no heat-producing engine to help melt it off. I had thought about getting one of those HeatTrax mats that you can buy for meltj g snow and ice off of sidewalks/driveways to plug in and melt it off, but my wife is worried that I will scratch up the truck that way. Does anyone have any thoughts on safe methods to melt the snow and ice off the truck in the winter? It would have been great if a hood heater could have been added/included similar to the rear window defroster.
Not sure if I’m completely understanding the issue. Why isnt just removing the snow with whatever brush type not good enough? At most it’s a thin crusty layer. i would imagine that same layer would remain on the rest of the vehicle as well. What’s the harm? Just a question

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Plug a space heater into the frunk outlets and set the temperature at lowest setting.
Let me know if that works.
🧐Have the fire extinguisher ready though!

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is an issue that many have never confronted before. I fully expect to see EVs driving down the road with huge piles of snow on them, hopefully they get ticketed.

People have already commented that modern headlights build up snow and ice more than older ones.

Some years back I changed our outdoor spotlights that light up the house from 12v regular bulbs to 12v LEDs. I have 8 of them, and I think they were 20 watt, so I was using 160 watts then and am using something like 20 total watts. And not having to change bulbs in the winter.

But, they also don't melt the snow, so everytime we get anything over a few inches, I have to clear the lights because they don't generate much heat. One is inside an area fenced for the deer, and it's a paint to clear.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’m confused why this is a problem. It’s the same as clearing snow off of an ICE vehicle that hasn’t been idling.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I used to use a soft bristled shop broom to clean off my truck in the winter, but now that I park in the garage for charging I don't have to. Now the kid uses the shop broom. She's not happy.

OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To this asking why it is a problem, it really isn't a problem per se. More of a minor annoyance. I'm just picturing the big snowfalls and how much easier it is to clear off the snow and ice from the hood of ICE vehicles when the heat of the engine has loosened the snow and ice that has frozen itself to the truck.

OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I suppose.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
DE17A216-8539-47D8-B3C9-6E0191CAE7BE.jpeg

Thank you!!😀
That is a lot of snow. All of the car dealers around our area have the Snow Jo type tool to clean their cars on the lot. Works especially well for deep snow like you have.
Sponsored