• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ice, not ICE; not nice.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Like your grill and lightbar blackout. Ice not so much ;-). Did you find a package or modify to get the front end?

OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
There's definitely some questionmarks around the winter-capability from a design perspective, especially from a MI based company, it's not like winters are a new thing around here.

1. Ice seem to get trapped between headlights and front facial / grill.

2. The frunk opening cutout gets jammed packed with snow/ice while driving.

3. The mirrors fold into/over the door window trim, so the slightest amount of snow on the trim and you hear crunch crunch crunch.

4. Auto Shutter, or snow scoop.... Maybe don't open it in freezing temperatures, I doubt we need the extra cooling. Mine opened, got filled with snow/slush that then froze and will not close anymore. I just hope it still works when things warm up.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
3) I recommend turning auto-fold off in the winter. Cost me a bunch of time at the dealer to get broken mirrors fixed once before my Lightning. They fixed it under warranty, but it took 2 trips to the dealer and a day without the truck.

Note: you have to turn it off in all profiles including Guest. There is no global switch that I have found. You can still fold them with the button, but you decide if they are clear enough to fold.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I needed to use my AliExpress cordless heat gun (DeWalt knockoff) to thaw the charge door sufficiently to open to charge... never had to do that on any internal combustion vehicle so thinking they let the new guy design the port door on these... Frunk wouldn't open and tailgate barely.

Side query: Does anyone know if the little plastic flap that covers the two large lower terminals is necessary? I pretty much *only* charge at home with FCSP and it seems like an unnecessary step (plus that was frozen shut as well)... thanks!

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Side query: Does anyone know if the little plastic flap that covers the two large lower terminals is necessary? I pretty much *only* charge at home with FCSP and it seems like an unnecessary step (plus that was frozen shut as well)... thanks!
Not required, I believe it is only there to help protect the terminals from the elements while using a standard level 1/2 plug.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
We had an ice storm last Sat on the north Oregon coast. Mine looked the same or worse. At least 1/4” over the whole truck and 1/2” in pooling spots.

Echoing what has already been said.
- turn off auto mirrors since they freeze in closed position
- can’t open frunk
- sensors all complain as they are under ice
- cameras covered with ice so they don’t work
- can’t remove charge as it is iced over

Solutions for me:
- build a car port this spring/summer
- use a heat gun - carefully
- I have hot running water in the garage so used warm water to melt ice - made a bigger ice mess on the ground though
- keep prepping the cabin for departure

All things one would expect in an ice storm. No surprises

OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Not required, I believe it is only there to help protect the terminals from the elements while using a standard level 1/2 plug.
Thanks! Gonna save a bunch of weight with the delete ;) /s

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
We had an ice storm last Sat on the north Oregon coast. Mine looked the same or worse. At least 1/4” over the whole truck and 1/2” in pooling spots.

- can’t open frunk

Solutions for me:
- I have hot running water in the garage so used warm water to melt ice - made a bigger ice mess on the ground though

I just gave Ford voice feedback about the same issues as pointed above. I tried to get the charge door winter cover, but its still on back order.

This morning, I had to use hot water to melt ice on the charge handle since it didn't want to break free. I felt like I was going to break the J1772, but lucky I didn't go monkey on it.

I wish my garage was high enough for the F150L, however the garage door "L Bracket" is just in the way...

Sponsored

jmb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Lariat ER
I just gave Ford voice feedback about the same issues as pointed above. I tried to get the charge door winter cover, but its still on back order.

This morning, I had to use hot water to melt ice on the charge handle since it didn't want to break free. I felt like I was going to break the J1772, but lucky I didn't go monkey on it.

I wish my garage was high enough for the F150L, however the garage door "L Bracket" is just in the way...
Charge door winter cover? You mean an old towel? I'll ship you one for half the price :D

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
If your truck will fit thru the garage door opening, and you disconnect the opener and open the door manually will the truck fit inside? Maybe you only need a new opener....

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

OtterJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER

- can’t open frunk

Solutions for me:

Also from Oregon, central Willamette Valley here, so I feel your ice pain. However, we park in our garage, and I'm so grateful that we do. Saved a lot of issues when I had to take make a legitimate emergency run out yesterday in this nonsense.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I keep a cordless heat gun in the truck. Have sometimes had trouble with opening the chargeport door. It is a really poor design. Have also had trouble removing the power cord and getting the chargeport door to close. Have not had this much trouble during 7 winters with our Teslas.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Wow! After reading thru this thread, I certainly am fortunate to have a garage (deep enough to park my Lightning). I didn't realize the mayhem the snow and ice can present to our trucks. :(
Sponsored