• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ice, not ICE; not nice.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Charge door winter cover? You mean an old towel? I'll ship you one for half the price :D
https://accessories.ford.com/f-150-2023-charge-port-weather-kit-for-bev-lightning-only

If your truck will fit thru the garage door opening, and you disconnect the opener and open the door manually will the truck fit inside? Maybe you only need a new opener....

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
Its not the opener, its the L shaped or even J shaped bracket that attaches the opener to the door. Closed is not a big deal, but when its open it will hit the roof of the truck.

Not my picture but close enough.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ice, not ICE; not nice. C8A33009-B460-4A65-B010-80846B9ADE43
Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Its not the opener, its the L shaped or even J shaped bracket that attaches the opener to the door. Closed is not a big deal, but when its open it will hit the roof of the truck.

Would it clear the opening?
Is so wouldn't a direct drive opener be an option ?
They attach to the bar/shaft and you can get rid of the whole overhead pull mechanism.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamber...-Backup-and-Wi-Fi-Connection-RJO101/325675581

Lift master has the same? unit as well with their branding.

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
https://accessories.ford.com/f-150-2023-charge-port-weather-kit-for-bev-lightning-only

C8A33009-B460-4A65-B010-80846B9ADE43.jpeg
They’re not cheap, but you might consider a side mounted opener that doesn’t use the rails or connector you are having issue with.

They mount at the top of door connected to the spring rod.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
What @mr.Magoo said. (I’ve got to learn how to type faster on this dang phone!)

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
They’re not cheap, but you might consider a side mounted opener that doesn’t use the rails or connector you are having issue with.

They mount at the top of door connected to the spring rod.
What @mr.Magoo said. (I’ve got to learn how to type faster on this dang phone!)
I might look into that. According to the last home owner, I have "special" garage doors so I need to check compatibility and etc.

Sponsored

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
The J attachment piece might be able to be shortened. I had 10’ door and a 9’8” rv. I just sawed off part of the J so as to maintain 10’ under the J.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Could you move the attachment closer to one side or the other? I moved my garage door opener and its attachment over so that instead of being in the center it is 1/3 of the way to one side (to accommodate the roof box in my Volvo). With the roof box the car clears the opening by about an inch (maybe less).

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
I will say -- we are all early adopters and we will suffer the consequences on occasion. ICE vehicles, especially top dollar ones, have had 100 years or so to get every detail right. We are spoiled. All that waste heat from the ICE engine has been kind of taken for granted. Of course, it was truly wasted most of the time -- except in the winter etc......

Anyone who suggests Ford should have produced a perfect truck in the first iteration is asking for too much IMO. But there are reasons to be on the cutting edge -- cheaper operating costs if you don't sell the truck anytime soon (otherwise rapid depreciation will eat your rewards).

And.. I think the science behind global warming is real. We are going to have to address this. Even if we fall short of the goals that the crazies say we must achieve, just slowing down the RATE of change helps people, economies, and the environment adapt.....

End rant

Sponsored

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Yeah, with cabin preconditioning the ice melted off the windshield, but resolidified on the wiper armatures. Everything not touching the cabin never melts because there is no engine producing waste heat.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Battled the Portland area ice storm this week too. Two issues.
1. Tailgate lock froze.
2. Truck slid down the driveway. Very glad it wasn’t plugged in at the time.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ice, not ICE; not nice. IMG_2606

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
Never had trouble opening the flap to fuel my former vehicles, mostly Fords. There really is no getting around the fact that the Lightning chargeport door is engineering malpractice. Before my Lightning I never needed a heat gun to fuel a car, and I have always lived around here and always kept my vehicles outside, for almost 6 decades.

roadhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The only issue I had the other morning was that the cowling below the windshield (where the wiper arms sit) formed a giant block of ice, locking the wipers from rotating. Leaving the defrost on max for 20 mins loosened it (just) enough that I was able to use a scraper to lever the ice out.
Sponsored