• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Move Charge Port to Right Side to Be Tesla SuperCharger-Friendly?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
One of the limitations of the Tesla Superchargers is the super-short cord that can only reach to the right side of the parking stall. F150 charge port is on the driver (left) side. To avoid blocking the stall next to the charger being utilized, it would be cool to have a charge port on the passenger (right) side of the F150 for better compatibility with Tesal Superchargers.

The Lightning has a blank door on the passenger (right) side that mirrors the charge port door on the driver (left) side. I would imagine that Ford has designed a right-hand drive version of the F150 and I bet there might even be some mirror image part numbers of the hing. bracket and charge port wiring harnes. Might not even need a differing harness - just re-route it to the other side..

Has anybody looked into how much work/parts it would take to move the charge port over to the right side of the truck?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No, there is no right-hand drive version of the Lightning. It’s North America only.

What does the steering wheeling wheel location have to do with the charge port? The right hand drive Mach-E still has the port on the left.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It would be easier and cheaper to just put longer cables on the SuperChargers. Their techs are already swapping out parts to install the Magic Dock, just include a longer cable too.
Tesla doesn't actively cool their cables (like EA and others do), so they are limited in length.

Sponsored

badger_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat / 2021 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Network Engineer
Tesla doesn't actively cool their cables (like EA and others do), so they are limited in length.
They've been liquid cooling since their V3 superchargers came out...
https://electrek.co/2019/09/30/tesla-patents-liquid-cooled-charging-connector/

The heat generation issue was a factor in the short, passively-cooled cables of V2 Superchargers.

And the new V4 chargers are getting longer cables and faster charge rates, not to mention the silly-named "Magic Dock" CCS adapter:
https://electrek.co/2023/03/03/tesla-deploying-first-supercharger-v4-huge/

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
What does the steering wheeling wheel location have to do with the charge port? The right hand drive Mach-E still has the port on the left.
Surprising to hear that about the Mach-E.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

The heat generation issue was a factor in the short, passively-cooled cables of V2 Superchargers.

And the new V4 chargers are getting longer cables and faster charge rates, not to mention the silly-named "Magic Dock" CCS adapter:
Thanks for teaching me something!

badger_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer
Thanks for teaching me something!
Always trying to share info; I didn’t realize that EA’s had liquid cooling, but haven’t run into the 350kW ones that it seems to be on. The 150kW by me have the stupid thick, heavy cables. Had to help an older lady plug her car in when it was super cold and stiff. Hopefully EA’s thinner cables are better!

More on-topic, probably pretty large amount of effort to add or relocate the charge port. Tesla has a whole darn computer dedicated to theirs it seems. For those of us looking at the further-delayed CCS adapter retrofit craziness.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Tesla V4 chargers can have longer cables with their new cable design. Looks like one of the V4's may have just popped up in Norway. I think all new supercharger roll-outs that are not already under construction will get the V4 chargers. The V3 locations will get magic dock retrofits as they are opened up. V2 chargers will be upgraded to V4, but that's based on some sort of scheduling we're not privy to and the focus will be on new locations more so than upgrades. Tesla may prioritize upgrading charger locations that have busy nearby EA (or other) chargers.

Charging a Lightning can be tricky at some EA and ChargePoint locations. I've already encountered a couple where the cable barely reached. I think the best case for Tesla locations is to head for the charge stall all the way to the right and see if it's possible to pull up past the curb a bit to get a good angle on it. Some locations have pull-through chargers, but I think I would still try to avoid those if I can because I know as soon as I plug into one, the guy pulling a trailer will show up.

A couple of the locations that are now open seem to be working OK for the Lighting, just have to park really close.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

That link is about V4s in Europe. All current EVs in Europe are required to have CCS2 connectors, so no plug compatibility issues.
In North America, we may have a problem.

This is from the driveteslacanada.com site:
Ford F-150 Lightning Move Charge Port to Right Side to Be Tesla SuperCharger-Friendly? DD13E951-4B96-4B76-91E8-813D2ACEE5D7

Since Tesla needs CCS compatibility to participate in the NEVI dollars, I’m sure there will be a solution. But what will it be? A separate CCS cable?

badger_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer
That link is about V4s in Europe. All current EVs in Europe are required to have CCS2 connectors, so no plug compatibility issues.
In North America, we may have a problem.
Since Tesla needs CCS compatibility to participate in the NEVI dollars, I’m sure there will be a solution. But what will it be? A separate CCS cable?
The “Magic Dock” is currently being installed on V3s in America and will be a part of the V4 chargers. It’s a CCS adapter that is part “docking station” for the Tesla NACS adapter. If you need CCS, you’ll grab the whole thing. Need NACS? Grab just that part out. Several articles out this past week about CCS cars, including one on the homepage of an F-150, charging on a Supercharger

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The “Magic Dock” is currently being installed on V3s in America and will be a part of the V4 chargers. It’s a CCS adapter that is part “docking station” for the Tesla NACS adapter. If you need CCS, you’ll grab the whole thing. Need NACS? Grab just that part out. Several articles out this past week about CCS cars, including one on the homepage of an F-150, charging on a Supercharger
The site I referenced says no magic dock on V4s. Do you have a source saying there will be?
Im not trying to pick a fight - I hope you’re right.
Sponsored