• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NACS charge port retrofit for 22-24 Lightnings?

matt3310

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
finance
Any idea if there is a way, or will be a way to retrofit the lightning CCS to a NACS plug without adapters?
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Why? You’ll have an adapter either way. There will still be a lot of CCS stations out there for probably at least another decade so it really doesn’t matter which one the vehicle has. Also, it’s not as simple as just replacing the connector. Since J3400 shares the AC and DC pins you would need a new module that is capable of switching 400V at 500A and that won’t be cheap.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Doubtful. We're going to be a two plug world for at least the next 5+ years.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Any idea if there is a way, or will be a way to retrofit the lightning CCS to a NACS plug without adapters?
I think it will all depend on how long Ford keeps the current Lightning design around. If they do transition it to NACS, they we will have more potential, but if they don’t then nope.

I for one look forward to the option to swap, but not sure the money would be worth it.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Based on this picture form another thread:

Ford F-150 Lightning NACS charge port retrofit for 22-24 Lightnings? 1709005974800

There seems to be connectors to the CCS module so it’s feasible…

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not really interested in upgrading to a NACS connector anytime soon but I would be interested in upgrading to 1 MW charging and a 300 kWh battery pack if they ever become available.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
for the next 5-10 years, CCS will still be the go-to DC Fast Charging for most all 'other' EV models, even those with NACS in the coming model years - unless EA, Chargepoint, EVgo, and all the other third party charging providers SUDDENLY switch TOTALLY to NACS-only cables, which is highly unlikely anytime soon, there's no reason to 'worry' about whether you have a CCS inlet, or NACS... you're going to be using an ADAPTER, either way...

NACS is also slower charging.
NACS is also much more expensive at Superchargers.

it makes little sense to worry about it anytime in the next several years, for sure.

Sponsored

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
for the next 5-10 years, CCS will still be the go-to DC Fast Charging for most all 'other' EV models, even those with NACS in the coming model years - unless EA, Chargepoint, EVgo, and all the other third party charging providers SUDDENLY switch TOTALLY to NACS-only cables, which is highly unlikely anytime soon, there's no reason to 'worry' about whether you have a CCS inlet, or NACS... you're going to be using an ADAPTER, either way...

NACS is also slower charging.
NACS is also much more expensive at Superchargers.

it makes little sense to worry about it anytime in the next several years, for sure.
Interested in understanding the data for those line items called out above.

The NACS standard has a 400kWh output in the specs and new stations that will come online in the future based on the agreements for making J3400 the standard. (https://www.thedrive.com/news/tesla...-kw-output-at-super-alliance-charging-network). Current v3 is pushing out 250kWh, but our LIghtnings can only handle 150kWh max with no announced plans for faster charging capabilities even in the new platform as I understand it (very happy to be wrong). I dont see it being an issue in getting that to the truck from the charger. Only a few vehicles can take 350kWh from current HyperFast chargers.

For NACS being much more expensive, would like to understand where that comes from. My costs on charging at Superchargers with my Model Y are far cheaper than the per kWh charging at EA or EVGo for example. I am not sure on the current Magic Dock implementation as I have not used Tesla for that as of yet for my truck.

I think the biggest concern I have is actually pulling up to a charger and plugging in with the plug on the wrong side for NACs and being a stretch to behind the front wheel. Not looking forward to the arguments in the parking lots.

What I do say with NACs is 99% of the time, I pull up, plug in and charging starts in seconds with me only having 2-3 poor experiences in my 3 years of ownership. I can say that 90+% of the time at CCS chargers is the opposite. They mostly have issues and struggles to function, many require their own app as card readers do not function, cost 10-20% more than the Supercharger networks in my experience. Unknown charging output with 50/100/150/350kWh chargers at the same station, with cars with a 50kWh max charging plugged into a 350kWh outlet. Again, looking forward to a consistent solution without having to make Plan A/B/C/D for a simple 300 mile trip.

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Hold my beer
It's not so simple as changing the plug portion - there's an entire package of electronics that is needed to switch contactors between the AC/DC portions of the charger, because in NACS the L2(AC) and DCFC terminals are shared and not separate like on CCS. While a retrofit MAY be technically feasible, it will be an expensive and unsupported endeavor from Ford, and you will have to find a place to fit a rather large module in and around the frunk area, if it were possible to do at all.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
At the same time I would love to retrofit the NACS assembly to the passenger side blank, thus solving the Tesla short cable problem... That would give the most flexibility.. hmmm the more I think about it if just an adapter allows you to plug into the CCS port there can't be a huge difference in the wiring otherwise you would need more than an "adapter."

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
At the same time I would love to retrofit the NACS assembly to the passenger side blank, thus solving the Tesla short cable problem... That would give the most flexibility.. hmmm the more I think about it if just an adapter allows you to plug into the CCS port there can't be a huge difference in the wiring otherwise you would need more than an "adapter."
You only need an adapter right now because the truck side currently has separate pins for AC and DC.

If you add an NACS connector on the truck and expect to use it for both AC and DC, like Tesla, then you need some hardware (and probably software) to connect the NACS pins to the battery or the onboard AC handling circuitry depending what you're hooked up to.

Maybe you could add a NACS port for DC only or something, with relatively simple wiring, but you'd still want some interlocks in case someone plugs an AC Tesla EVSE into it.

I can't really see any sort of retrofit being feasible until Ford releases a version of the truck with the NACS connector only. Then you might be able to swap in those parts. Maybe.
Sponsored