• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New Frunk in Town- Cybertruck Beta Videoed

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I just don't get this truck. I thought it was dumb long before they ever announced the Lightning, so I wouldn't call it bias since I drive a competitor's truck. The dash is absurdly long, and it's all unused space. This also means that A-pillar blind spot seems massive, plus if you want to tint the windows you'll have to also tint the little triangle up front, small things, but still oddities. The back row looks wildly short, I played that game with my Ranger (which probably has more headroom than the CyberTruck appeared to have) and it sucks. I'm still pretty young and frequently go out with friends, I've carried 5 several times in the Lightning and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. I just can't see myself sitting in the back of a friends and not being squished at 6'1". I'm glad the Frunk is going to be like the lightnings. Interior looks very bare bones, not a fan of the center screen only. I think that stuff is straight dangerous, I don't care how many times my Tesla friends stand by it, you should never be required to turn your head even slightly to see critical vehicle info. I don't understand why Tesla, a tech company if there ever was one, doesn't make HUDs? Tires look cool but doubt they'll be very efficient aero wise, same with their width appearing to go beyond the wheel well. Bed looks minimalist, side loading appears impossible, only 4 tie down spots tops? Was there any on the tail gate? I like how Ford has several, it's helped me secure odd loads in the past. I didn't see any power ports, are they going to have some version of pro power on board? That would be a massive whiff if not included.

My initial thoughts so far. I don't get this truck, I didn't day 1, I probably never will. It comes off as shock value on wheels. I see way too much sacrificed utility for 'aesthetics'. I imagine it will sell just fine to tech bros and anyone else trying to get attention, but imho it just won't capture a massive market.

Edit: square steering wheel is dumb. So is a yoke. Do people just shuffle hand drive with these? Ever since I've been driving, I use one hand a palm typically to turn. Can't do that with a square.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I just don't get this truck. I thought it was dumb long before they ever announced the Lightning, so I wouldn't call it bias since I drive a competitor's truck. The dash is absurdly long, and it's all unused space. This also means that A-pillar blind spot seems massive, plus if you want to tint the windows you'll have to also tint the little triangle up front, small things, but still oddities. The back row looks wildly short, I played that game with my Ranger (which probably has more headroom than the CyberTruck appeared to have) and it sucks. I'm still pretty young and frequently go out with friends, I've carried 5 several times in the Lightning and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. I just can't see myself sitting in the back of a friends and not being squished at 6'1". I'm glad the Frunk is going to be like the lightnings. Interior looks very bare bones, not a fan of the center screen only. I think that stuff is straight dangerous, I don't care how many times my Tesla friends stand by it, you should never be required to turn your head even slightly to see critical vehicle info. I don't understand why Tesla, a tech company if there ever was one, doesn't make HUDs? Tires look cool but doubt they'll be very efficient aero wise, same with their width appearing to go beyond the wheel well. Bed looks minimalist, side loading appears impossible, only 4 tie down spots tops? Was there any on the tail gate? I like how Ford has several, it's helped me secure odd loads in the past. I didn't see any power ports, are they going to have some version of pro power on board? That would be a massive whiff if not included.

My initial thoughts so far. I don't get this truck, I didn't day 1, I probably never will. It comes off as shock value on wheels. I see way too much sacrificed utility for 'aesthetics'. I imagine it will sell just fine to tech bros and anyone else trying to get attention, but imho it just won't capture a massive market.

Edit: square steering wheel is dumb. So is a yoke. Do people just shuffle hand drive with these? Ever since I've been driving, I use one hand a palm typically to turn. Can't do that with a square.
Are you sure you're young 'cause you sound like an old guy. :)

But seriously, you ask some fair questions. We'll see what the "utility" ends up being but 3500lb payload, 500 mile range and 500kw+ charge rate, and huge towing numbers should make it overall very competitive. Now, if ends up NOT having the range/charge rate, then it would be a lot less interesting.

Also, It wasn't designed that way for shock value. It was designed for efficient manufacturability. A long dash is just a consequence of the cab forward design. If they just made the front glass flat like a F-150 the dash would be shorter but it would reduce aero.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Oh cool, a new prototype of a truck that was supposed to be in production 2 years ago. Fun.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
My 8 year old walked by and glanced at my phone while I was watching that video on YouTube....

"Dad, that looks like a Minecraft vehicle."

Exactly.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Tesla will always have a niche following, but I don't see how this will in any way convert traditional pickup owners to EVs. Honestly I think the biggest competition for this vehicle is within Tesla itself. I imagine most shoppers will buy this instead of another Model Y, X.

I don't think Ford, RAM or GM have anything to worry about....given equal availability/price..not seeing a lot of cross shopping between this and the OEM trucks.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
3500lb payload, 500 mile range and 500kw+ charge rate, and huge towing numbers should make it overall very competitive. Now, if ends up NOT having the range/charge rate, then it would be a lot less interesting.
If the gen 2 lightning is comparable to tesla spec wise, is there any reason to buy a cybertruck? superchargers aren’t the secret weapon anymore with magic dock. I guess for now it’s the only EV truck that can truly compete with todays gassers?

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
If the truck doesn’t randomly die I’m interested.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
It's still not anywhere near to being in production and I'm not convinced it ever will be in it's current form. Maybe they'll build a handful of them like GM is doing with the hummer EV and then design a more traditional truck that actually is mass produced.

Sponsored

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
It just does not get any less stupid looking the more I see of it.
I'm not a fan of red cars except Ferarris, but i stumbled on this red CT render...I think with some well placed black accent paint or decals, it can turn out looking pretty damn sharp!

Ford F-150 Lightning New Frunk in Town- Cybertruck Beta Videoed Screenshot 2023-03-02 003634

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Wow, the comments on that YouTube video. Everyone fawning over how beautiful it is. I guess there is no accounting for taste!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
If the gen 2 lightning is comparable to tesla spec wise, is there any reason to buy a cybertruck?
Hard to say. We don't know pricing, charge rates, etc. for either of them.

And how many will each company actually be able to build? Production will be a huge constraint of sales for a few years at least.
Sponsored