• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What do you keep in your sub-frunk?

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This isn't going to sound right... so please forgive me.

I need to keep my frunk clean/clear. We usually go grocery shopping as a family, and I am glad to use this instead of the bed to haul groceries around. The straps and other misc stuff can stay in the cab of the truck, under the rear seat.
I agree. My Frunk is 100% clear so I can fill it up with groceries, etc. I also don't use the "under seat" storage in the back (I have flicked the two levers so the storage area colapses to a neat, flat floor). I do this because my seats are always folded up and my 11 month-old Fox Red Lab has a 4 inch dog bed that fills that entire back area floor area. So the stuff you folks are saying you put in the Frunk (or under seat), i put in a bin in the bed. It's held in place with a bunji cord. LOVE this truck!!!
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I find the "secret" compartment in the frunk to be a good place to put things that you'll want to keep in the truck, but are not used that frequently and don't fit well in the main cabin's storage areas. Right now I keep:

- Portable EVSE (I use a gen2 Tesla UMC with several adapters)
- TeslaTap J1772 adapter for use with the Tesla UMC and Tesla L2 destination chargers
- 14-50 extension cord
- 14-50 to 14-30 adapter (to plug in at parents' place)
- 6-20 extension cord
- Can of Invisible Glass + microfiber towel for cleaning the windshield while charging

I used to keep a can of tire sealant and a 12v air compressor in my Model S as well, but with the truck's full size spare onboard, I don't think I really need those.

I am considering adding a 12v jump pack since the 12v battery seems to be the root of all evil, and maybe an L14-30 to 14-30 or 14-50 adapter to charge another vehicle.
My Frunk is 100% clear so I can fill it up with groceries, etc. I also don't use the "under seat" storage in the back (I have flicked the two levers so the storage area colapses to a neat, flat floor). I do this because my seats are always folded up and my 11 month-old Fox Red Lab has a 4 inch dog bed that fills that entire back area floor area. So the stuff you folks are saying you put in the Frunk (or under seat), i put in a bin in the bed. It's held in place with a bunji cord. LOVE this truck!!!

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I will be keeping 2 disc golf bags, carts, and disc golf shoes in my trunk. That way they will always be with me when I go to play a round.

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
I have my tow hitch, ratchet straps. All the charging stuff and a three way extension cord.

hdeitzer

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I store all the bottled water and other cold drinks for the construction crew on a daily basis. Big problem is that the ice melts and drains by mid morning. Haven't found a good solution to keep the sub-frunk from draining. Any good ideas out there???

Sponsored
OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
As cool an idea as it is (no pun intended) to fill the sub frunk with ice and drinks, it's not insulated, or it's not insulated very well. A regular cooler is probably your best bet to keep things cold and the ice from melting too quickly.

Others have mentioned plugging in a mini fridge or electric cooler into the outlets, but again, a cooler would probably work just as well to keep drinks cold for a day, though of course you'll need ice there. A powered fridge would not.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Is your jump pack lithum
I find the "secret" compartment in the frunk to be a good place to put things that you'll want to keep in the truck, but are not used that frequently and don't fit well in the main cabin's storage areas. Right now I keep:

- Portable EVSE (I use a gen2 Tesla UMC with several adapters)
- TeslaTap J1772 adapter for use with the Tesla UMC and Tesla L2 destination chargers
- 14-50 extension cord
- 14-50 to 14-30 adapter (to plug in at parents' place)
- 6-20 extension cord
- Can of Invisible Glass + microfiber towel for cleaning the windshield while charging

I used to keep a can of tire sealant and a 12v air compressor in my Model S as well, but with the truck's full size spare onboard, I don't think I really need those.

I am considering adding a 12v jump pack since the 12v battery seems to be the root of all evil, and maybe an L14-30 to 14-30 or 14-50 adapter to charge another vehicle.
Is your jump pack lithium, and if so how often do you charge it?

I would like to use the AC port in the frunk to jump the 12v with a standard charger/booster, but I assume you can't use ProPower without the 12v working. My lithium jump pack does not seem to hold enough charge.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
To answer your questions: "yes," and "not as often as I should." :) I'm guessing I charge it maybe once a year - usually in the spring when all my toys are dead. It's not a high end jump pack. I bought it 4-5 years ago as one of the lower priced but still decently-reviewed options on Amazon. It's no longer available though.

Your assumption about the AC receptacle is correct. You'd be in a catch-22 trying to use the AC outlet to power a plug-in battery charger/starter. The AC outlet will not receive power if the HV contactors can't close, and the contactors can't close if the 12v is dead.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I store all the bottled water and other cold drinks for the construction crew on a daily basis. Big problem is that the ice melts and drains by mid morning. Haven't found a good solution to keep the sub-frunk from draining. Any good ideas out there???
I had the same problem with my Mach E. I was thinking that maybe one of those dish water stoppers might help to slow it down. I haven't tried it yet though.

If only for drinks, it would be okay for the water to stay inside.

Sponsored

hdeitzer

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
There is a drain on the bottom!
Yes it drains but not to a hose that could be clamped but to a panel that protects the air inlet for the battery cooling system. I tried a plastic cover but it only added about an hour before the sub frunk drained. I want my crew to have cold drinks at 3 PM. May have to go back to the Yeti!!

Ford F-150 Lightning What do you keep in your sub-frunk? 20220803_120116

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Model 3, Pacifica Hybrid
Yes it drains but not to a hose that could be clamped but to a panel that protects the air inlet for the battery cooling system. I tried a plastic cover but it only added about an hour before the sub frunk drained. I want my crew to have cold drinks at 3 PM. May have to go back to the Yeti!!
Now there's an aftermarket accessory that would do well! A cooler insert for the sub-frunk. And even better if it has a drain right above where the drain is in the sub-frunk.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Wouldn't a sheet of plastic work?
Sponsored