• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New Owner, purchased 3 days ago.Help with Charger/Charging Questions.

Centu

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning extended range
Hi all,

Just picked up my Extended Range on Friday. Waiting on electrician to come this week to quite the Charger Pro Install.
Since I bought the XLT I'm supposed to receive the Charge Pro for free but no clue how to order this, some other Forums say to contact Sunrun, others say contact dealer. If any of you have any experience with this I could use the advice.

So far my charging experience has been suboptimal, received the truck at less than 50% and took it to a ChargePoint Charger that only added 10 miles during a 1 hour lunch.
I ordered an adapter and attempted using a Supercharger today but the EVDance I ordered was not compatible and Generated a Charging Fault, red ring.

I also ordered a Lutron Vortex, but no estimate on Delivery. If you have any recommendations on what has worked for you please share.

Thank You
Sponsored

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
You can not use an adapter made for level 2 charging at a supercharger, that is why your current one failed. Through FordPass you can order an official Ford one for free, but it’ll take a while to arrive.

You don’t need to do anything for Sunrun, it’ll just arrive. Some people are getting them in a week, some are getting them in a month. If yours doesn’t show up apparently you can call Sunrun for a status update, but their customer service sucks. Apparently this process has changed. You now get a code and order the charger from chargers.ford.com/.

Last edited:

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Download the PlugShare app and look for CCS level 3 fast chargers. The other option is the Tesla app and see if they have superchargers in your area with a magic dock. These should hold you over till your home charger is installed.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
That is a lot to unpack. It appears you have very little EV experience and are rightfully frustrated.

1st, you can at least start plugging in the portable charger into 110 outlet, it should be in the fronk under the floor panel. If you did not get a portable charger you must use the app above and look for fast chargers like EA in the 350k range to get you up.

2nd there are several Tesla chargers, your adapter is for destination chargers like at hotels and some shopping areas. It will not work on the white and red freestanding chargers. Even with an adaptor, you are still limited to the newer Tesla stations, many older will not work. 2 filters to use on this are, open to other EV, these are majoc dock and you will need a Tesla app and account to use them. The 2nd is when you get the NACS adapter that will be ones you can use then. You will quickly learn there are a lot of older Tesla stations out there that look the same and will not work for you.

https://www.tesla.com/findus

Last edited:

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Austin looks pretty bad, there are EVgo stations in the 100-350kw speed, but some are slow at 50kw, download the app above and try finding ones with 100kw or better.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/497042

It looks like all the Chargepoint are very slow 62kw stations, your truck can Charge at about 180kw, so these are 1/3 the max rate.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

CypherBlue

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi all,

Just picked up my Extended Range on Friday. Waiting on electrician to come this week to quite the Charger Pro Install.
Since I bought the XLT I'm supposed to receive the Charge Pro for free but no clue how to order this, some other Forums say to contact Sunrun, others say contact dealer. If any of you have any experience with this I could use the advice.

So far my charging experience has been suboptimal, received the truck at less than 50% and took it to a ChargePoint Charger that only added 10 miles during a 1 hour lunch.
I ordered an adapter and attempted using a Supercharger today but the EVDance I ordered was not compatible and Generated a Charging Fault, red ring.

I also ordered a Lutron Vortex, but no estimate on Delivery. If you have any recommendations on what has worked for you please share.

Thank You
I bought my Lightning from Mac Haik in Georgetown. The dealer wasn't sure about the charger being free even after all the incentives initially, but I contacted Ford, and they said the program still stands and any ER Lightning would get it. The only thing that changed was that you had to order it on chargers.ford.com and use a promo code at checkout (Sunrun was no longer automatically shipping them). That code would come from the dealer. I contacted my salesman, and he was able to sort it out and email the promo code to me. I was then able to order the charger, and it is arriving today. I would reach out to your dealer for that promo code.

FOXTAIL

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Hi all,

Thank You
I picked my new Lightning on 4/10/2024. When I called Sun Run they informed me that they no longer send the chargers. That program stopped on 4/4/2024. You need to get a voucher from your dealer and go to a special website to get the charger.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Hello fellow ATX Lightning owner! Depending on what part of town you are in, CCS options are not great, but getting better. EVGOs have opened a couple good high speed ones in south austin recently with another coming hopefully soon. Sunset valley and most recently at Congress/Will Cannon. Check plugshare as other have mentioned and set the filters for CCS.

Order your free Ford NACS adapter right away if you haven't. And i think the A2Z seems to be the winner for third party NACS adapter.

Once you get your home charger installed, you should be more or less good to go and not have to worry about public charging unless you are driving a lot or road tripping. Get a couple of quotes on the charger install, some will want to inflate their quote because it is an EV.

Kenric

First Name
Kenric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT ER
Yeah, sounds like you plugged into a level 2 chargepoint charger. Look for a DC fast charger if you need to fill up quicker. There are some at the round rock outlets if you live north.

Sponsored

Ltron

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER , 24 Lyriq AWD Lux1
Occupation
Ret
Are you able to install a 220 V AC 14-50 Hubbell outlet to charge from? If so you can plug in the supplied adapter and go level 2 for overnight charges. When you get the charge station pro, which will appear magically you can pigtail in to that.

The 50 amp 220v is the key to happiness .

JDF231223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Hi all,

Thank You
You can order an A2Z Tesla Supercharger Level 3 DCFC Typhoon adapter and get it probably sooner then the Lectron Vortex. I ordered both on the same day and got my A2Z before Lectron even had a chance to generate a tracking number or give me a real update. I canceled my Lectron order via email and currently happily using an A2Z adapter.

Discount promo code “FORD” is still working and free shipping is also available.

A2Z EV Link use discount code "FORD" to save $$$ - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V | DC | 12 Months Warranty

A2Z is shipping out daily and currently running 3 weeks from order time to delivery.

They are extremely responsive and will be able to give you an idea when your adapter should arrive.

Some folks have been able to pay for express shipping if they need it in a hurry.

Maybe ask them what options you have available to expedite delivery.

Call A2Z:

1 (844) A2Z - EVSE

WORKING DAYS / HOURS

Mon - Fri / 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST.

A2Z EV Link use discount code "FORD" to save $$$ - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V | DC | 12 Months Warranty

Ford F-150 Lightning New Owner, purchased 3 days ago.Help with Charger/Charging Questions. img_0182-jpe

Last edited:
OP
OP

Centu

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning extended range
You can order an A2Z Tesla Supercharger Level 3 DCFC Typhoon adapter and get it probably sooner then the Lectron Vortex. I ordered both on the same day and got my A2Z before Lectron even had a chance to generate a tracking number or give me a real update. I canceled my Lectron order via email and currently happily using an A2Z adapter.

Discount promo code “FORD” is still working and free shipping is also available.

A2Z is shipping out daily and currently running 3 weeks from order time to delivery.

They are extremely responsive and will be able to give you an idea when your adapter should arrive.

Some folks have been able to pay for express shipping if they need it in a hurry.

Maybe ask them what options you have available to expedite delivery.

Call A2Z:

1 (844) A2Z - EVSE

WORKING DAYS / HOURS

Mon - Fri / 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST.

img_0182-jpeg.jpg
Thank you, same experience here. Received my A2Z Tracking number and Canceled the Lectron. I think I read something about the Lectron being Recalled.

JDF231223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Thank you, same experience here. Received my A2Z Tracking number and Canceled the Lectron. I think I read something about the Lectron being Recalled.

You're 100% right there is a recall for the initial batch of Lectron chargers.

I am 100% glad that I have my A2Z adapter. The built quality and customer service is impressive. Range anxiety is completely gone for me.

You will be very happy once you get your adapter and start using it regularly. The reliability of the Tesla network and location are a nice change for once.

Vcrpromo

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ford lightening
Occupation
Retired
You can not use an adapter made for level 2 charging at a supercharger, that is why your current one failed. Through FordPass you can order an official Ford one for free, but it’ll take a while to arrive.

You don’t need to do anything for Sunrun, it’ll just arrive. Some people are getting them in a week, some are getting them in a month. If yours doesn’t show up apparently you can call Sunrun for a status update, but their customer service sucks. Apparently this process has changed. You now get a code and order the charger from chargers.ford.com/.
I'm lost what is a level 2 charger and is it supposed to come with my ligening
Sponsored