• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Phone as a Key issue

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So for the update for the items that do not come OTA? What is the pathway for those. Does it come like a recall that sends us to a dealer?
That would be the part that makes sense, but Ford fixes many things and puts the updated modules out there, but their stance is that if the customer doesn't complain with an issue and if it isn't safety related they will just let your vehicle be sub par for years.

They don't have the resources and they don't have enough trained mechanics and they can't afford to have every truck come in for 4 hours twice a year to be hooked up to FDRS and updated.

They have had abysmal luck with OTA updates the last 2 years and bricked some 2021 ICE trucks. They just about have that sorted out and we hope maybe a new path forward with OTA. The next couple of months should show us if it will work. If they do we all have a few modules that should get updated - we'll need a new date on the Blue Cruise maps or new maps, not sure which they do and they owe several people PAAK. We know the PAAK modules are sitting in FDRS, just not sent via OTA yet. Hope they are still testing and packaging and it gets released soon.
Sponsored

gschom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Platinum
I took my July 12 build date Lightning in for service yesterday for a squeaky tailgate, and I also asked them to apply the latest software updates because PAAK doesn't work (that I knew were available thanks to @Mike G providing that info). They said they would take a look.

4 hours later and the tailgate squeak was fixed, but they said they had problems applying any updates because their laptops didn't have the required software to update Lightnings yet. I asked them to give me a call once they did that and I'd come back in. I'd be amazed if I actually get the call.

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I took my July 12 build date Lightning in for service yesterday for a squeaky tailgate, and I also asked them to apply the latest software updates because PAAK doesn't work (that I knew were available thanks to @Mike G providing that info). They said they would take a look.

4 hours later and the tailgate squeak was fixed, but they said they had problems applying any updates because their laptops didn't have the required software to update Lightnings yet. I asked them to give me a call once they did that and I'd come back in. I'd be amazed if I actually get the call.
Very very sad that Ford lets this happen. We know that @Mike G and others have it and use it daily.

The dealerships are stuck in the dark ages. They have to open the door and realize social media and communication channels are out here. They truly try to make you feel like an idiot.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE

I'm sorry...I needed to re-read that....you're saying that they told you they don't have FDRS? It's the only software used on 2021 and newer Ford and Lincolns.

The Lightnings do not require anything specific other than FDRS.

I'm just gonna say it. They flat out lied to you.

Mike

gschom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sorry...I needed to re-read that....you're saying that they told you they don't have FDRS? It's the only software used on 2021 and newer Ford and Lincolns.

The Lightnings do not require anything specific other than FDRS.

I'm just gonna say it. They flat out lied to you.

Mike
I wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

They didn't mention FDRS specifically. Their exact wording was "Because the Lightnings are so new, our laptops don't have the updated software to perform updates on them yet."

I asked them to call Ford engineering and they agreed and said they would give me a call when they talked to them and I could come back in.

I also remember them saying that they've done updates for Mach-Es and it takes 3-4 days. Sounded like nonsense to me.

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

They didn't mention FDRS specifically. Their exact wording was "Because the Lightnings are so new, our laptops don't have the updated software to perform updates on them yet."

I asked them to call Ford engineering and they agreed and said they would give me a call when they talked to them and I could come back in.

I also remember them saying that they've done updates for Mach-Es and it takes 3-4 days. Sounded like nonsense to me.
Well they didn't want to update your truck. That's the beginning and end of it.

The rest was a fairy tale.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I just got my PAAK. No need to go to service. Just wait for the update. My build week is 7/19.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
We need some more details! Did you just notice in FordPass you could set it up, or did the truck show a software update?
I had 3.1 up to last Monday. I got an update to 3.5.2 which auto installed. Today the phone as key just showed on the app.

gschom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had 3.1 up to last Monday. I got an update to 3.5.2 which auto installed. Today the phone as key just showed on the app.
Interesting. I just wasn’t sure if the truck said “hey you can enable PAAK now!”, but it sounds like no.

Sponsored

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Interesting. I just wasn’t sure if the truck said “hey you can enable PAAK now!”, but it sounds like no.
It was just on the app. On the home page there was the link to set it up. Very simple process. Then you can add the phone key to your profile so it loads up all your settings( seats etc)

I was pleasantly surprised with how well the integration worked.

kudos to the software team that worked on this.

The only downside is that if you walk close by the truck the curtesy lights come on because it senses the phone.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
3.5.2 installed automatically on my 6/30 build on September 13th. Still no PaaK option here…

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
I just got my PAAK. No need to go to service. Just wait for the update. My build week is 7/19.
3.5.2 installed automatically on my 6/30 build on September 13th. Still no PaaK option here…

These are both consistent with the assertion earlier that the cutoff is build-week 7/12. 3.5.2 enabled it for just about everyone after that.

Farmford42

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Bronco
Occupation
Farmer
I have a 7/25 build week, and just got the update to 3.5.2 and still lack PAAK, so there is a wrinkle there. But, look forward to seeing it appear. What version of the Sync 4 software do folks with PAAK have? Mine is still 411

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I have a 7/25 build week, and just got the update to 3.5.2 and still lack PAAK, so there is a wrinkle there. But, look forward to seeing it appear. What version of the Sync 4 software do folks with PAAK have? Mine is still 411
It took about a week from the software update until PAAK showed up on the app.
Sponsored