• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll

Have you had the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power issue

• Total voters

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Had the truck back 2 weeks. Was grabbing something out of the frunk and poked my head in to see the coolant level.

1000022439.jpg
1000022438.jpg

All coolant has gone... Somewhere...

@Ford Motor Company who's gonna compensate my time for dealing with this? I know the dealer will remedy, but I don't have a day to deliver, Uber around places, and then pick up a vehicle. Maybe send people home with a jug of coolant if they're not going to bleed air out of the system properly??
I'm thinking it has been noted that there could be air in the system and as that works it way out, it will empty the reservoir. Thinking they needed to give better instructions to check it or stop back by.
Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Reactions: GDN

RyZac

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ER Lariat w/Max Tow
is this mostly a 2022 and early 2023 build issue or does it just take time for the later 2023's/24's to have the issue?
Also, could this also be a reason they lowered the 2024 Max charge to 120kw?

tied to this all, is there a mixture of charging methods that causes the most issues? Like frequent DCFC. Has some modules failed for people who've only charged via Level 2?

Robbie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Detective
I’m following several threads on this, but having a hard time tracking how many of us have experienced this. I thought a poll might help. I realize this should have just been a “yes” poll because most are no. I don’t know how to change a poll.

Mine has been at shop 4 weeks and still waiting on parts.
Just had my buyback approved and sending documents into Ford for my 22 Ford lightning

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Just had my buyback approved and sending documents into Ford for my 22 Ford lightning
Ouch or maybe a good thing (get a new truck at a reduced cost from 2022). Do you know what you'll replace it with? Living with CA gas prices I'm still very happy to have one of the first trucks, even with the price reduction and the problems I've had. The money I've saved in fuel has been worth it. Curious when people do a buyback, what they transition to. I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

Sponsored

Robbie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Detective
Yes, the process is working so far. This is the next step in the buy back,(please see the attach information. Funny, I have the same model as yours, with the same delivery date.

Information on the Repurchase (Ford is buying back your vehicle)
We will formulate your case, based on the Bill of Sale and/or Finance Contract, Payment History, and Payoff Quote (if all applies) by adding up all of the expenses that were charged for the vehicle (depending on California lemon law). Then depending on California lemon law we will need to deduct some items. These items can include: usage, negative equity, late fees, aftermarket items, non-Ford contracts, Gap, or accessories. Anything remaining after the deductions will be considered the total cost of the Buyback. After we subtract what is owed to the lien holder (so that we can pay off your lien), if there is an amount left to refund to you, it will be given to you in a check.

Any loan payments made on the vehicle, that are not included in the Repurchase figures will be refunded, once the buyback is complete. You will remain responsible for any loan payments until the buyback is complete ( when the lien holder has received their check and the loan is paid off).

If you choose to accept the Repurchase Option, a private offer will be provided to you which will allow for a private discount on a new Ford vehicle (exclusions apply). The private offer can be used with rebates and public discounts that the Ford dealership, (of your choosing) is offering at the time, but may not be used with any other private discounts.

Cash and Keep (You are keeping your vehicle, if it is repaired)

If your vehicle is repaired, and you decide you would prefer to keep the vehicle, instead of the repurchase, Ford may be willing to provide a settlement amount. In exchange for this settlement acceptance check, you will retain ownership of your vehicle and sign a Confidential Settlement Agreement. All warranties will remain in effect. Also, if you are still not satisfied with the vehicle within 6 months, I can re-open your case. You would not need to go back through the re-qualifying process. You would simply email me or call me and we will reopen it to move forward with the Buyback.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just had this happen today on my truck, which is a very early 2022 (first 1,200 made). Just under 10,000 miles. Glad it didn't happen on my recent trips.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Any idea on what build dates this came from? My truck is 2023 XLT made in Sept. 2023. Or is happening to all build months/years?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Any idea on what build dates this came from? My truck is 2023 XLT made in Sept. 2023. Or is happening to all build months/years?
Mine was built 16 or so months before yours...

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Got my truck back today after 36 days in the shop. Lost 18 days because the battery module part order was "lost/not received/never ordered" depending on how to interpret dealer comments. They replaced Module 6. Everything looks good in CarScanner.
@GoodSam

Before (bad):
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1715195206962-ui

After (good):
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1715195230019-3e

Last edited:

Sponsored

UFLightning

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Updated my vote as I joined the club yesterday :sadface:. I was charging at work, made it to my preset charge limit then I hit "Charge to 100%" in anticipation of a trip I'm taking today a few minutes later I received a charge fault and power train malfunction errors. Now I'm at 57% power available and the truck will no longer charge (level 2 is all I've tried). At least it didn't happen when I was out of town.

The purchasing dealer offered me an appointment on June 29th :cwl: with no loaner. Another dealer a bit further away can get me in next week and should have a loaner available, but I opened a case with the Ford BEV team just in case.

I'm at 13800 miles...

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Updated my vote as I joined the club yesterday :sadface:. I was charging at work, made it to my preset charge limit then I hit "Charge to 100%" in anticipation of a trip I'm taking today a few minutes later I received a charge fault and power train malfunction errors. Now I'm at 57% power available and the truck will no longer charge (level 2 is all I've tried). At least it didn't happen when I was out of town.

The purchasing dealer offered me an appointment on June 29th :cwl: with no loaner. Another dealer a bit further away can get me in next week and should have a loaner available, but I opened a case with the Ford BEV team just in case.

I'm at 13800 miles...
Quite the range of emotions there, I feel your pain. It's 6 weeks minimum for every appointment I've had to make, though they at least have supplied a loaner each time. Yesterday I called the Honda dealership about getting oil change, A/C serviced, and the driver's door lock repaired (actuator died I think) and braced my self for the wait time. He said they're scheduling just a couple days out. He laughed when I expressed my surprise and told him the wait time for Ford. Why is Ford so backed up?

I hope your repair goes quickly. Might be worth talking to the service dept and ask them to confirm they have the tools needed for the repair. This issue is pretty clear cut, determine which module, swap it out, rebalance. It seems to be the rebalancing tool that is giving folks a headache.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

I'm at 13800 miles...
Very sorry to hear this. That sounds very much like battery module. You might try clearing the code. Some did that and found they were good for a while. It it comes right back you likely have a battery module issue. You need FDRS connected to see the voltage variances maybe the dealer would take 5 minutes to do that for you. Just for peace of mind.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Now I'm at 57% power available and the truck will no longer charge (level 2 is all I've tried).
Sounds familiar. Mine was a battery module. See my post a few posts up on how you can use the free CarScanner app to see your battery health. The better test is with FDRS like Greg mentions, but CarScanner was a definitive answer for mine. You can also see what DTC is being thrown, then search this site. Mine was P0B24 in the BECM module.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Aaaaaand mine is back at the dealer. Reduced power as well as threw a powertrain faulut (wrench icon).

Back in a nice new 2024 F150 STX rental with 11 miles. Ironically bluecruise works just as good in this thing as the one in my Lightning.

Dealer said it'd be a week to get an update.

Sigh.
Sponsored