• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfuntion

ScoobaSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightening
Fun story… I was actually on the lot after finalizing the purchase of a 2022 Lightning Lariat that was a dealer loaner with 3200 miles when the dreaded Powertrain Malfunction hit. I was driving off the lot and couldn’t accelerate. Albeit the truck was naturally, yet slowly accelerating on it own, I turned back around and is currently at the dealer until Tuesday after the holiday weekend for their EV Tech to evaluate. Wish me luck as a new owner
Sponsored

Last edited:

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
There are many of us who experienced that dreaded message. At least you didn’t have to get it towed like mine was. Took 3 weeks to get repaired.

OP
OP

ScoobaSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightening
There are many of us who experienced that dreaded message. At least you didn’t have to get it towed like mine was. Took 3 weeks to get repaired.
What was the fix for you?

LightQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat Star White Metalic
Fun story… I was actually on the lot after finalizing the purchase of a 2022 Lightning Lariat that was a dealer loaner with 3200 miles when the dreaded Powertrain Malfunction hit. I was driving off the lot and couldn’t accelerate. Albeit the truck was naturally, yet slowly accelerating on it own, I turned back around and is currently at the dealer until Tuesday after the holiday weekend for their EV Tech to evaluate. Wish me luck as a new owner
Unfortunate to happen at all but at least it was a convenient time for it to fail because you avoided the dreaded orange wrench light when on the road.
On the up side, this is a known issue with a known cure. Ford will take care of you. Insist upon your dealer to provide you with a loaner.
My truck had a failed battery module replaced in 48 hours. Quick- because Ford knew it would fail and ordered the part ahead of actual failure. I have not had any problems with battery or anything else since that replacement.
Whenever I hear about another new customer experiencing this I wish Ford would be more Pro-Active with these compromised battery modules and get them fixed Before they fail.
In a perfect world, the dealer should have verified with Ford that your truck showed no errors before releasing it into the wild. But perhaps Ford wont share that data or haven't yet perfected their in-house truck health system. Because they do have that technology available if you allow it in your truck's communication options.

Congratulations on your Lightning purchase. It's a wonderful vehicle. The upside- you no longer have to worry about a bad battery module. I hope all goes well for you at your dealer.
Cheers!

OP
OP

ScoobaSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightening
Unfortunate to happen at all but at least it was a convenient time for it to fail because you avoided the dreaded orange wrench light when on the road.
On the up side, this is a known issue with a known cure. Ford will take care of you. Insist upon your dealer to provide you with a loaner.
My truck had a failed battery module replaced in 48 hours. Quick- because Ford knew it would fail and ordered the part ahead of actual failure. I have not had any problems with battery or anything else since that replacement.
Whenever I hear about another new customer experiencing this I wish Ford would be more Pro-Active with these compromised battery modules and get them fixed Before they fail.
In a perfect world, the dealer should have verified with Ford that your truck showed no errors before releasing it into the wild. But perhaps Ford wont share that data or haven't yet perfected their in-house truck health system. Because they do have that technology available if you allow it in your truck's communication options.

Congratulations on your Lightning purchase. It's a wonderful vehicle. The upside- you no longer have to worry about a bad battery module. I hope all goes well for you at your dealer.
Cheers!
I appreciate the feedback, hopefully it’s something similar

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
The upside- you no longer have to worry about a bad battery module.
Unfortunately, this is not true. At least a couple of folks have had a second battery module replacement. See PM/RP spreadsheet in my signature.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Unfortunately, this is not true. At least a couple of folks have had a second battery module replacement. See PM/RP spreadsheet in my signature.
Your sheet is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey! I can take a closer look into your powertrain concerns if you like. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership name/location?

Sponsored

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Update: they found a failed update caused the issue and rolled back the software. After diagnostics showed everything working properly
🤞
Sponsored