• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I think you've nailed it and I truly think this is all it does.

I recived this update before my 400 miles at Christmas. My trip each way was cold down in the 20 degree range and I averaged 1.3 mi/kW which was MUCH lower than I'd hoped for, but that is a different subject.

To say the least when I plugged in at a DCFC and watched the charging the miles were increasing and correctly calculating my distance based on the 1.3 mi/kW - it was showing me real life and I knew how far that charge would get me based on current history.

As soon as I unplugged the charger and got back it the truck it wanted to act like it was new from the factory and give me a totally unrealistic calculation and DTE that I knew I'd never make.

So this story has gone back and forth quite a bit. When the Lightning first started hitting the street everyone said Ford would calculate real world and give us that. So I guess maybe they did, but everyone bitched about how bad the mi/kW hours are so now they've given us an update that gives you no real world information by resetting the DTE to what they advertise on the sticker at each full charge and you are SOL for knowing how much that charge will get you until you start driving to let the truck give you real world numbers.
One thing I've noticed. When I plug the truck in at night, and go on FordPass and look under the charging details, it gives the correct range I should normally see at 90%, around 195 miles. When I wake up in the morning, the GOM is at the unrealistic range that will make people happy, but is impossible to achieve.

Reactions: GDN

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
It’s absurd that EPA hasn’t forced them to publish cold weather range numbers on the EPA sticker.
Agree. And also absurd that the EPA ratings standards themselves are not designed to represent more real-world driving circumstances. Tesla and VW are getting fined in other countries for false range claims by simply quoting the USA/EPA rated ranges. Really, these are NHTSA and EPA issues, not automaker-specific issues.

After a week of owning my Lariat ER and 1200 miles on it, I would say it needs to be rated as a 240 mile truck, not 300. I also don't like the practice of having and marketing a full capacity battery and range wile it's not optimal to charge it to that level on a daily basis. 90% should be the 100% mark and then allow for an "overage" capacity for odd situations. ...Those are conclusions I've come to having owned Teslas for the last 6-1/2 years.

I kinda feel sorry for anyone who is buying an SR battery Lightning and lives somewhere that gets freezing temps more than a month or two out of the year.

This GOM update feels very Tesla-like... Our Teslas do fluctuate a little on the estimated range at a 90% charge based on some conditions and habits, but we're talking a flux of maybe 7 miles or so. Tends to lose a few miles during colder months, gain a few on the GOM in warmer months. But our Model Y always insists we have 255 to 265 miles on a 90% charge. Yeah, more like 225... Or 185 when it's below freezing. 150 miles if we're in negative temps.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So what you’re saying is the next “viral” Lightning review will say “Ford is lying about Lightnings Range, traded it in for a Hummer”
No - I'm not predicting nor do I really care at this point. Just giving my real world experience. I've driven EV's for 5 years and know that it is just like a gas vehicle - everyone drives them different and weather and towing will affect range. Having driven my own very cold trip, I now know that I'll likely average between 1.3 mi/kW and 2.0 mi/kW from my worst cold the worst hot in TX.

I just wish they'd be consistent - as I noted, during the charge it was giving me one calculation and as soon as I unplugged it switched to another.

Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
You would assume wrong. After a month, I am still consistently getting a GOM of 285 miles at 90% charge. After my normal everyday commute of 100 miles, I end up with a GOM of around 80 to 90 miles. 195 was my GOM at 90% before the update. Spot on when you take into account my Mi/Kwh.
Oh I see, that is disappointing. I wish there would be some middle ground.

Right now in the cold of winter I wake up and the GOM is like 160 at 90%. But I know even without departure times, by the time I’ve driven 20 miles the GOM improves to like 200 which is more realistic after the battery has warmed and the temps improve during the day. I was hoping this update would help with some of the extreme pessimism of the GOM, but I don’t want it to instead just be unrealistically optimistic.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Agree. And also absurd that the EPA ratings standards themselves are not designed to represent more real-world driving circumstances. Tesla and VW are getting fined in other countries for false range claims by simply quoting the USA/EPA rated ranges. Really, these are NHTSA and EPA issues, not automaker-specific issues.

After a week of owning my Lariat ER and 1200 miles on it, I would say it needs to be rated as a 240 mile truck, not 300. I also don't like the practice of having and marketing a full capacity battery and range wile it's not optimal to charge it to that level on a daily basis. 90% should be the 100% mark and then allow for an "overage" capacity for odd situations. ...Those are conclusions I've come to having owned Teslas for the last 6-1/2 years.

I kinda feel sorry for anyone who is buying an SR battery Lightning and lives somewhere that gets freezing temps more than a month or two out of the year.

This GOM update feels very Tesla-like... Our Teslas do fluctuate a little on the estimated range at a 90% charge based on some conditions and habits, but we're talking a flux of maybe 7 miles or so. Tends to lose a few miles during colder months, gain a few on the GOM in warmer months. But our Model Y always insists we have 255 to 265 miles on a 90% charge. Yeah, more like 225... Or 185 when it's below freezing. 150 miles if we're in negative temps.
If they did that EV’s would not sell in the amount that they do now, which to be honest might not be a bad idea.

Jmmanley1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 MachE Premium SR
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Is there a place to see update history? I have auto updates set…a few days ago I came out to a 280mi range at 90%! It has been closer to 220 with the low temps. I figured there was an update but I’ve not received any notices on the app or in the truck. 🤷🏻‍♂️

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

i think the 320 rating is fair considering mixed driving. That was exactly what i was getting before November. I drove probably 70/30 hwy/city in the first 5,000 miles and my lifetime trip meter was at 2.4 mi/kwh before temps were regularly in the 30s. It’s averaged 1.9 mpk since then. I’m guessing i’ll end up at 1.7-1.8 for the entire winter, Nov through March. For the full year that would put me around 2.1, or 275 mi of range.
If EPA published the combined range at 75F and 32F that would be a huge step in alleviating confusion.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
i think the 320 rating is fair considering mixed driving. That was exactly what i was getting before November. I drove probably 70/30 hwy/city in the first 5,000 miles and my lifetime trip meter was at 2.4 mi/kwh before temps were regularly in the 30s. It’s averaged 1.9 mpk since then. I’m guessing i’ll end up at 1.7-1.8 for the entire winter, Nov through March. For the full year that would put me around 2.1, or 275 mi of range.
If EPA published the combined range at 75F and 32F that would be a huge step in alleviating confusion.
I think there’s two problems here and we should consider them separately.

EPA ratings in my opinion are more about fairness of comparison. Like a 320 mile truck from Ford and a 320 mile SUV from Tesla should both get about the same range across different kinds of driving conditions. Otherwise, how am I supposed to shop and compare two EVs by their window sticker? This is the same expectation we have for 5-star crash rated cars, or an 18mpg gas car. If your Crown Victoria and my Audi S6 both are 18mpg rated, I expect their gas costs to be pretty similar.

GOM numbers are more like “how far can I go / will I make it?”. And I think that’s a fundamentally flawed approach. Like even in the summer I never observed 320 miles and that’s because our area is hilly/curvy and the straight line portion in a valley has notorious 40 mph crosswinds on most evenings. I think Ford is taking a flawed and ultimately unsolvable problem by saying “you can just use your GOM to plan your trips!”. The GOM can’t read my mind about where I’m going to go. Like it’s cool that with the OEM nav, the GOM will adjust to the nav destination, but that doesn’t work for CarPlay/AA either. For this problem, I’d like to see “trip planner accuracy” as something we formally test or even regulate on the EPA sticker. Like on a Tesla and a Ford, test “I want to drive to this town 200 miles away, what percentage battery is left?” and rate cars on how many percent they are off from the original estimate.

I really think once people peel back the anger over Tesla “miles” not being achievable, there is something that Tesla did right: their trip planner is damn accurate, especially with the recent improvements. When it plans charging stops and projects arrival battery percentage, it’s never off by more than 2% for me anymore. The Ford OEM nav last week was off by 40% (yes, 40 percent of the ER pack) when I drove over a mountain pass in the middle of a blizzard. It didn’t account for the foot of snow on the ground or the 2 hours of standstill traffic at 15 degrees F. Tesla now pulls weather and live fleet actual efficiency data for the route.

Sponsored

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I have no experience with how the update will work other than what @Pioneer74 said, but prior to the update my 180 miles was very accurate. I've driven several hour plus trips, with the accuracy of the expected range being +/- 5 miles. I'd rather have a little conservative vs. the alternative.

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Is there a place to see update history? I have auto updates set…a few days ago I came out to a 280mi range at 90%! It has been closer to 220 with the low temps. I figured there was an update but I’ve not received any notices on the app or in the truck. 🤷🏻‍♂️
you can look in:

ford pass app under Vehicle/Features & Settings/Software Updates/Recent changes

On the display in the truck under Vehicle/Setting/Software Update

Jmmanley1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 MachE Premium SR
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 22-PU-1009-MIL-DTE Calculation 4C42E212-9EC5-4265-822F-95805C3C22F9
There doesn’t seem to be a recent changes selection. Same on our MachE but I have actually got one update notification on the car about an update. There definitely should be a log of update history.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Uh-oh my update has arrived…..
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: GDN