• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Ford has filed a patent for a robotic "crossbar-mounted lift assist" arm in future pickup trucks. While most of the patent images show its use in the current generation F-150, other drawings notably show a futuristic pickup design with a cab forward configuration and wraparound headlights and tail lights.

Given the date of the filing, it's unlikely that the images show the final design of Ford's upcoming Project T3 EV truck, it could signal the general design direction that Ford is exploring.

Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? Ford-Pickups-Crossbars-With-Lift-Assists-Patent-001
Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? Ford-Pickups-Crossbars-With-Lift-Assists-Patent-002
Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? Ford-Pickups-Crossbars-With-Lift-Assists-Patent-003
Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? Ford-Pickups-Crossbars-With-Lift-Assists-Patent-003-1
Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I think the engineer was just really bad at art and/or using the cad program. Notice how the wheel wells in the bed of the truck are lower than the wheel on the outside? That must be magic. The tailgate drops more than 90 degrees and is extendable for towing the motorcycle up...Not even mentioned as part of the patent. Must be more magic.

So it's either bad artwork, magic, or a futuristic truck design. I'm going with bad artwork.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
Back before we knew what the Cybertruck looked like, this was one of the leading contenders for everyone everyone thought the Cybertruck would look like. Probably a better design for aerodynamics and cab space.

Sponsored

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
Idk, this seems reaching. Clearly the patent is focused on the lift and not the truck itself.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think the engineer was just really bad at art and/or using the cad program. Notice how the wheel wells in the bed of the truck are lower than the wheel on the outside? That must be magic. The tailgate drops more than 90 degrees and is extendable for towing the motorcycle up...Not even mentioned as part of the patent. Must be more magic.

So it's either bad artwork, magic, or a futuristic truck design. I'm going with bad artwork.
No doors or door handles either. How do you get inside? Must be more magic šŸ˜†

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
other drawings notably show a futuristic pickup design with a cab forward configuration and wraparound headlights and tail lights.
Click bait me also by saying patent shows Ford will eliminate side mirrors.
It's lazy artwork.

Sponsored

BuildBackBadder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500 F150
Super Crew with an 8' bed would be much shorter than a traditional design. Anyone remember the half van half pickups? I loved the Little Red Wagon drag vehicle.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Cab forward design does make the most sense. The T3 will be more like that than we think. Iā€™m here for it. Remember when Ford introduced the Taurus and GM laughed at ā€œmelted candy barā€ and then summarily became a dinosaur.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe I'm old. Looks like a Corvair pickup.
Haha! Way back ... I built a dune buggy out of a Corvair car running gear. There was truth to the saying "check the gas and fill it up with oil".

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Cab forward design does make the most sense. The T3 will be more like that than we think. Iā€™m here for it. Remember when Ford introduced the Taurus and GM laughed at ā€œmelted candy barā€ and then summarily became a dinosaur.
Here's the thing, you're thinking logically. Let's be real, if buyers were logical, 90% of buyers would buy the truck I have because it gives them all the capability they need. It's affordable, reliable, gets great fuel economy, is fast, and has a payload higher than many full size trucks.

But we need to take into account the cultural shift surrounding trucks. They're more of a status symbol these days than they are a utilitarian tool. What matters when something is a status symbol? Looks, and that thing has super polarizing looks. It wouldn't appeal to many conventional truck buyers, they would probably write it off as being too radical. They wouldn't care if it had an 8 foot bed if it looked like that.

For many truck buyers, it's not a logical purchase. It's based on how they're perceived. Many of them don't want to be seen in something like that. How many of these truck owners would insult my maverick because they don't perceive it as "manly" enough, even though it's payload of 1,500 lbs is literally higher than certain trims of the ram 1500, and tundra. Granted, it can't tow much, but if you're just hauling, 1,500 lbs is more than most people will need.

To some people, perception trumps logic. You have to take that into account when designing a product.

Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? IMG_20230325_143908
Sponsored

Last edited: