• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range Display (remaining miles) accuracy

Akemisdad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
So I’ve noticed that I may start out at 250 miles remaining and then if I drive around 20-25 miles the gauge tells me I have 200 remaining. Is this normal? It’s almost always double the amount off of what I’ve driven.
Is there a way to get SOC as a percentage on the dash view?
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Guess o meter. GOM.

Calm screen shows percentage, some trucks got an update with percent in gauge, some did not.

Use the kwh/100km number from your trip meter to more accurately predict range.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think we have a skewed view of what the reality of a 'Range' estimation really is: it's an estimation.

An estimation is based on several factors: temps, battery level, and previous driving history.

But, what the range estimation CAN NOT do is guarantee a certain number of miles, since, after all, it has NO IDEA of where you are going, how fast you will drive, what WEIGHT you may be carrying, the temps along the whole route, the TERRAIN you may encounter, how much stop 'n go you will encounter,etc.

It is, after all, just a 'guess', although it tries to be a fair or somewhat 'accurate' one. Ford's engineers tried to design something that simulates what you 'might' expect, all things being 'perfect'. I suspect they could look at some additional factors, but the reality is that no one can 'predict' everything ahead of you.

Now, 'why' does the estimation show one thing, and then 'change' not too many miles down the road? Well, I suppose it's just due to the conservative nature of the estimation. Maybe your speed is faster than it had 'estimated', or maybe you have the Heat or Air Conditioning ON, etc.

I have seen my PRO with as little as 220 miles at the start, with a FULL battery, and have seen it at Over 280 miles, for no apparent additional 'reason', to speak of. It's great to see that high number, but I don't believe it. I also don't believe the 'low' number, either.

I know that my truck, with my conservative driving, for most situations, is going to give me 2.5 miles per kwh of battery power. Yes, I may have to do those calculations myself, but 2 1/2 times 100 = 250, which is the way I look at it. If I have 50% battery, then 2 1/2 times 50 = 125 miles. Maybe none of us like having to 'do' this work ourselves to realize our own 'true' range, but it's just the nature of how EVs and batteries work. Gas vehicles have this same issue, we just don't stress and worry over those inaccuracies since we have gas stations on every corner.

There is no way to 'guarantee' range or miles - it's ALL a guesstimation.

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
Interesting, I wonder if that is going to be an OTA update available to all trucks. It would be nice to have that % in the gauge. One thing I notice is the GOM is very conservative the closer I am to a full charge, with a bigger discrepancy between miles remaining and actual miles driven with all variables being equal (outside temp., highway/city.). For example, I’ll drive 20 miles but the GOM will say 25. As I get closer to ‘empty’, I might drive 20 miles and the GOM might say 18-19. In any case, having a SOC on the gauge would be much more helpful and accurate.

Guess o meter. GOM.

Calm screen shows percentage, some trucks got an update with percent in gauge, some did not.

Use the kwh/100km number from your trip meter to more accurately predict range.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So I’ve noticed that I may start out at 250 miles remaining and then if I drive around 20-25 miles the gauge tells me I have 200 remaining. Is this normal? It’s almost always double the amount off of what I’ve driven.
Is there a way to get SOC as a percentage on the dash view?
Have you received updates [OTA's] since noticing the change?
Colder temps and more E-Heat usage?

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
So far I have established some confidence in driveable distance for my Platinum. I make a routine 245 mile each way trip mostly non-stop. I charge to 100% and always have a remaining mileage of 50-60 miles at my destination. To be sure half of that trip is at 70 mph and the other half probably averages at best 50. I'm also in Florida, no hills, but AC is always on. I'm also sure that if I was a 70 the entire time I would have significant range anxiety and would have to stop and charge it.
Sponsored