• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recall 22S71 - Windshield Wiper Motor inspect/replace

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Will they hold your truck until the part arrives ?

DId you get the Ford recall letter like @TaxmanHog received ?
No recall letter, they just saw it once they checked me in for the other issue. I hope they don’t hold the Truck because they are on the clock, once I get to 30 days I will file a Lemon Law claim and be done with it. I am already irritated about this keypad issue that has kept the Truck at the dealer for 5 days with one of those days then having the replacement keypad in hand.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Letters started arriving last week and the Ford.com site has had my notice since last week.

This is not just Lightning's - this also affects ICE trucks. There is conversation on the sister forum about it.

Reports are there are no parts available yet.

One owner reported his quit yesterday in a rain storm and apparently Turo sees it as a major safety issue and stopped F150's from being rented on the site per another owner.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Letters started arriving last week and the Ford.com site has had my notice since last week.

This is not just Lightning's - this also affects ICE trucks. There is conversation on the sister forum about it.

Reports are there are no parts available yet.

One owner reported his quit yesterday in a rain storm and apparently Turo sees it as a major safety issue and stopped F150's from being rented on the site per another owner.
This is sad. Fortunately mine worked perfectly during this last rain storm in So Cal, actually the Truck preformed flawlessly and was like a kid again splashing through puddles

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I just received my recall letter today as well. I initially heard about it a few weeks back and I thought I wasn’t part of the recall, but oh well.

I seriously hope it doesn’t fail when I am driving and God help me if I get into an accident.

“PARTS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE THIRD QUARTER OF 2023. IF A CONCERN OCCURS WITH THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS BEFORE THIS TIME, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DEALER FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE.”

3rd Quarter… really?
Ford F-150 Lightning Recall 22S71 - Windshield Wiper Motor inspect/replace D56EE1E8-3E41-4FFA-9629-340A130CAA88

Ford F-150 Lightning Recall 22S71 - Windshield Wiper Motor inspect/replace A1E0C281-D524-4F29-97FB-59A290BD0A9E

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
My service dept ordered the parts for this recall. Said he’ll call me when they come in but doesn’t know when. He said the assembly line is priority.

Sponsored

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
because trucks that haven't been delivered should be prioritized over ones already delivered and driving- that doesn't make any sense?
my truck is in the recall according to my ford.com account website

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I received my letter yesterday. It’s strange because my 2021 ICE Platinum had the same recall and was never fixed before I traded it in. Hope the wiper motor continues to work until parts come in.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I received my letter yesterday. It’s strange because my 2021 ICE Platinum had the same recall and was never fixed before I traded it in. Hope the wiper motor continues to work until parts come in.
Same with my 2021 Lariat. Never got fixed. My Lightning missed the recall but my Dad's 2021 Lariat got it.

vsansal

First Name
Volkan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro, Tesla Model Y Performance
I have received my letter as well yesterday. My take on this is, this is happening to a small number of vehicles but its large enough that NHTSA is forcing them to do the recall. Obviously Ford wants to fix this for the new models or else they cannot sell the truck under a recall. Since this is not a common occurrence on all vehicles at least at the moment, the parts will be available in Q3 is most likely to cover all 450K plus vehicles and not individual vehicles that actually have this issue. My hope is, they will do priority on parts if you actually encounter the problem vs trying to avoid it. But you never know, its Ford we are talking about. I hope I am right.

This sucks for everyone trying to purchase a demo vehicle or maybe even a used vehicle from a dealer. I believe it prevents them selling the vehicle until the recall is addressed.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I have received my letter as well yesterday. My take on this is, this is happening to a small number of vehicles but its large enough that NHTSA is forcing them to do the recall. Obviously Ford wants to fix this for the new models or else they cannot sell the truck under a recall. Since this is not a common occurrence on all vehicles at least at the moment, the parts will be available in Q3 is most likely to cover all 450K plus vehicles and not individual vehicles that actually have this issue. My hope is, they will do priority on parts if you actually encounter the problem vs trying to avoid it. But you never know, its Ford we are talking about. I hope I am right.

This sucks for everyone trying to purchase a demo vehicle or maybe even a used vehicle from a dealer. I believe it prevents them selling the vehicle until the recall is addressed.
There is nothing small about this recall. It involves the ICE trucks too.

Ford isn't going to ever run double labor if they don't have to, their assembly line will always be priority one. They aren't going to put bad motors in on an assembly line and have to replace them later in the field too. You've already purchased, you are priority number 2.

Word is that there is supply, if you have a failure it will be replaced. If no failure it could be a while.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
RainX window cleaner. It rocks. Easier to apply than RainX (spray, wipe, done), works almost as well. You practically don't need wipers. Use it just in case yours fails during a rain event.

Lucky EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ioniq5, ZeroS

Confirmed with my dealer this morning the mannequin I was supposed to pick up on Friday is stop sale until the recall is fixed. Dealer is sending me a "purchase contract" to sign as he said Ford will not provide parts for the fix without confirmation that the vehicle is sold, although he also said the "purchase contract" does not obligate me to buy, bit confusing there. If parts are truly delayed and pushes the completion of the sale back and the truck ends up not qualifying for the full tax rebate, I'll probably back out. The truck MSRP is 81544 so it just barely squeaks in with D&D not included in the $80K cap.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I say this recall is somewhat concerning but not something to go postal over.

According to a reading of the Ford Recall Chronology (above),

"Weibull analysis projections were also updated in October 2022 and found the 10 year/150K miles rate (of failure) is predicted to be approximately 5% for vehicles produced from March 23, 2021, through August 8, 2022."

Since this recall is both ICE and EV I would expect it to cover over 100K vehicles - so my chances are very low.

And:
"The wiper motor supplier communicated to Ford that a break in containment occurred specific to the wiper motor terminal failure mode."

(DIY folks may want to break out a dab of FlexSeal.)

Those of us that live in very wet environments (or go through a lot of car washes?) would have a higher chance of failure.

Another good reason to garage your truck or use a car cover.

I think my chances of experiencing a complete failure before this gets fixed late this year are less than getting hit by a train.

What? Me Worry?

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
MY22 XLT SR for me and I received the recall yesterday.

My wipers have been working well, even breaking through the inevitable ice that forms on them in my area. Hopefully they get the parts soon though, I'd hate to get stranded in a storm because of no visibility.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
This is sad. Fortunately mine worked perfectly during this last rain storm in So Cal, actually the Truck preformed flawlessly and was like a kid again splashing through puddles
Know what you mean!

We rarely get rain and never get snow or ice so my wipers barely get used throughout the year.

Just glad it still worked in the past 2 weeks of rain.
Sponsored