• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Received A2Z NACS Typhoon adapter. Possible contact misalignment?

Jaime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Got my @A2ZEV NACS adapter today. Have not tried charging with it, but took a close look at it and noticed that the DC- contact appears to angle slightly down and out (away from the DC+ contact). Seems as if the metal contact may have been soldered at an angle (not sure if the contacts are soldered to a board or connected with wires to the other side). I connected it to the truck and I'm worried the force required to fully seat it is excessive. I'm worried more pressure may be applied to one side of the contact on the truck, instead of equally all around the contact, and cause damage to the connector on the truck or increased heat when transferring 500A during charging.
Kind of hard to see the issue in the attached picture. I centered the camera on each contact (DC+ and DC-) and took a picture.

Anyone notice the slight contact misalignment with theirs?

Ford F-150 Lightning Received A2Z NACS Typhoon adapter. Possible contact misalignment? a2z_adapter.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Got my @A2ZEV NACS adapter today. Have not tried charging with it, but took a close look at it and noticed that the DC- contact appears to angle slightly down and out (away from the DC+ contact). Seems as if the metal contact may have been soldered at an angle (not sure if the contacts are soldered to a board or connected with wires to the other side). I connected it to the truck and I'm worried the force required to fully seat it is excessive. I'm worried more pressure may be applied to one side of the contact on the truck, instead of equally all around the contact, and cause damage to the connector on the truck or increased heat when transferring 500A during charging.
Kind of hard to see the issue in the attached picture. I centered the camera on each contact (DC+ and DC-) and took a picture.

Anyone notice the slight contact misalignment with theirs?

a2z_adapter.JPG
Definitely noticeable and I would reach out to them for a replacement. I wouldn’t want to risk it.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Definitely reach out to A2Z. I’m confident they will be responsive to assisting you.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Not sure if this helps, but this is what mine looks like and it worked ok. In my experience the trouble connecting to the truck seems to be more tied to the amount of slack on the Tesla cord than the plug itself.
Ford F-150 Lightning Received A2Z NACS Typhoon adapter. Possible contact misalignment? PXL_20240501_223323114_Original

But as @The Weatherman suggests contact A2Z they’ll answer any questions you may have.

A2ZEV

Gold Sponsor
First Name
A2Z EV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning & Ford Mach
Occupation
EVSE
Hi there,

We want to assure you that DC pins misalignment is very much not likely.
I will try to help as much as possible and explain what one of our engineer explained to me.
I have took an adapter after reading your concern and it's an illusion. The CCS1 part is molded, the DC pin hole has basically no tolerance, the DC pins slide inside of it and can't be moved in any direction nor misaligned. The DC pins are guided through the holes of the CCS1 part. Every single unit is tested on the NACS and CCS side to ensure pin alignment, tolerance and also if the adapter works.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us by email and provide us with your phone number, a superior would be more than happy to call you and discuss this in details.

[email protected]

Thank you.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Not sure if this helps, but this is what mine looks like and it worked ok. In my experience the trouble connecting to the truck seems to be more tied to the amount of slack on the Tesla cord than the plug itself.
PXL_20240501_223323114_Original.jpeg

But as @The Weatherman suggests contact A2Z they’ll answer any questions you may have.
They also use the O-ring on the J1772 section that most DC chargers don’t have. It takes a bit of force to compress that gasket.
Sponsored