• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Relocate Charging Port to Passenger Side on existing and new Lightnings

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
The attached picture makes it look like there is enough cable.

I'm thinking this would have benefits for those who will end up using superchargers - even with the adapter.

Ford F-150 Lightning Relocate Charging Port to Passenger Side on existing and new Lightnings 1689217385849
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
There is no support bracket for the socket in the right fender, and there is no cover made for the opening. You may have enough cable, but there will be a lot of fab work to do.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Riding the OP's wave - I'd like to ADD a second charge port to the other side so I can keep the CSS connector and the other side could be NACS connector. Best of both worlds. It seems like an untapped resource, that passenger side "charge door".

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Riding the OP's wave - I'd like to ADD a second charge port to the other side so I can keep the CSS connector and the other side could be NACS connector. Best of both worlds. It seems like an untapped resource, that passenger side "charge door".
Do it and report back.

Sponsored

wgatkinson

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
In my opinion, putting the charging port on the driver's side was the biggest design flaw on the truck. I live in a city and have to park on the street. When parked legally, the charging cord will not reach around the truck to the charging port. Even if it would reach, I don't think Ford wants the charger sticking out in the road with cars riding past. So to charge, I have to park illegally by parking backwards on the street. I expect to be ticketed for this at some point. I am dumbfounded that no one at Ford was smart enough to consider people who have to park on a public street to charge their trucks.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
In my opinion, putting the charging port on the driver's side was the biggest design flaw on the truck. I live in a city and have to park on the street. When parked legally, the charging cord will not reach around the truck to the charging port. Even if it would reach, I don't think Ford wants the charger sticking out in the road with cars riding past. So to charge, I have to park illegally by parking backwards on the street. I expect to be ticketed for this at some point. I am dumbfounded that no one at Ford was smart enough to consider people who have to park on a public street to charge their trucks.
Exactly, I could not agree more. We have construction coming up on our lot and my only way to charge is on the street during this time. Makes me really worried.
I also see more and more places adding chargers with parallel parking. The F-150 would have to park against the driving direction to work.
Hopefully teh next generation changes this.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
There is a construction-orange Lightning Pro I've seen charging in the greater Boston area with the cord plugged into the passenger side.

I don't know any details of how this came to be. But it exists!

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I don't park and charge on the street. I personally prefer the driver's side for charging. I always will exit and enter from the driver's side of the truck. Maybe 5 percent of the times someone exits the truck they are on the passenger side. I'd be ok with left rear (Tesla position), but right front would be the worst location for me. But not everyone has the same preference.

Sponsored

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
just wait till your plugged into the passenger side. Jump in the drivers side and take off

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
we wouldn't be having this discussion if Ford had not tried to 'match' the charge port 'door' on the passenger side - just like all other 'gas' vehicles that only have one 'port' for fueling, we only have one, as well... I'm not sure I understand the argument, otherwise.

If Ford put the charge port in the back driver-corner tail light, like Teslas, we'd be complaining.
If Ford put the charge port on the passenger side-we'd be complaining.
If Ford put the charge port where any 'gas' or 'diesel' F150 has it, we'd be complaining...

Ford cannot win that argument, but they must put it somewhere, even though, we'll still be complaining.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Just remember, any modifications to the high voltage system and you are most likely voiding your battery and motor warranty. Do you want to take that risk to be able to charge more easily? Personally I wouldn't.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
we wouldn't be having this discussion if Ford had not tried to 'match' the charge port 'door' on the passenger side - just like all other 'gas' vehicles that only have one 'port' for fueling, we only have one, as well... I'm not sure I understand the argument, otherwise.

If Ford put the charge port in the back driver-corner tail light, like Teslas, we'd be complaining.
If Ford put the charge port on the passenger side-we'd be complaining.
If Ford put the charge port where any 'gas' or 'diesel' F150 has it, we'd be complaining...

Ford cannot win that argument, but they must put it somewhere, even though, we'll still be complaining.
When you pull into a gas station you can pull up to the pump from either direction, so it doesn't matter what side the filler is on.

When you park on the street it's usually not legal to face the wrong way.

Ford could easily win the argument and turn an extra profit in the process... sell a kit that lets you relocate the port to the other side of the truck. It's only a matter of time until the aftermarket solves this problem. I'd expect at some point somebody will start to sell a kit that lets you put NACS on the passenger side so you can have both port types.

When all is said and done there will be a half-million of these trucks on the road. So if only 1% of people care enough to install a kit there's still millions to be made. And somebody somewhere is already doing this stuff to fleet trucks.
Sponsored