• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rotary shifter possible

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
That's pretty cool! I wonder what happens when they press the L?

I thought the shifter folding down was really cool when I saw it in an ad for the lightning. But now having it for awhile I think I've only pushed the shifter down once legitimately. Most of the time I push it down just to show someone how it works. Would have much rather they stuck with a column shifter.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Would be really interested in this if it were relatively simple...from those pics it looks pretty decent. It looks like they did some plastic shaving/trimming on something in that one pic, so probably had to 'customize' a piece. Parts don't seem to cost too much...wonder if it uses same wiring connections/plug and play-ish?

Someone needs to make a kit for this!! The stock shifter kinda feels cheap and is just kind of a waste of space when it could literally be a button or that dial or whatever since it is totally electronic.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Had the dial shifter in my Mavericks and our current Explorer. I would have preferred it in the Lightning, but I don’t see myself messing with the transition now.

Sponsored

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Yay! Now we can fold down the table and eat a full meal while driving! Oooh and put the laptop there too to watch youtube while driving ;)🤣

Nice hack though - looks good. Now if there were only a mod to change the color of the ignition button light to change color when the truck was truly "on".

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
Cool idea but what impact will this have on Warranty and service? I can see a dealer refusing to touch it since the drive train control has been modified.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Had the dial shifter in my Mavericks and our current Explorer. I would have preferred it in the Lightning, but I don’t see myself messing with the transition now.
right, us 'older' gentlemen are not looking for projects, we just like driving this amazing vehicle 'as is'... my wife's new EV9 also does not have the 'rotary' dial, but a 'twist' of the driver 'stalk' behind the steering wheel... took some time to get used to, but anything is doable after a while : )

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Medicine
I wouldn't mind putting this on the dash with an extension cable from the console. Free up the console entirely.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Neat idea. Although I’d rather have a column mounted shifter and 4 cup holders, the dial seems like a good option. I just hate how much slop there is in the stock shifter. Makes it feel very cheap.

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Neat idea. Although I’d rather have a column mounted shifter and 4 cup holders, the dial seems like a good option. I just hate how much slop there is in the stock shifter. Makes it feel very cheap.
I'm with you there, I like the mechanical feel of the shifter, it's a skeumorphism that really enhances the tactility and easy of use of the shifter. I can shift into any gear without looking down. I would much prefer the column shifter over a dial.

I actually posted a previous thread about possibly implementing this, but one of our handy members responded saying after some investigation, it seemed like our Lightnings have a different steering column frame that doesn't have the required bolt holes for mounting a column shifter.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm with you there, I like the mechanical feel of the shifter, it's a skeumorphism that really enhances the tactility and easy of use of the shifter. I can shift into any gear without looking down. I would much prefer the column shifter over a dial.

I actually posted a previous thread about possibly implementing this, but one of our handy members responded saying after some investigation, it seemed like our Lightnings have a different steering column frame that doesn't have the required bolt holes for mounting a column shifter.
My Mach-E has the knob. I can shift without looking at it as easily as I can in my Lightning.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Can you still engage the emergency free-wheeling Neutral mode?
What happens when you press the L?
Sponsored