• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Should I Install Charge Station Pro inside or outside ?

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
My electrician is installing my charge station pro tomorrow and I’m having trouble deciding if I should install it outside my garage or inside.
In either situation the distance from the fuse box and electric meter run will be exactly the same . My truck doesn’t fit in my garage but if I install it inside it will always be safe from the elements and if I install it outside I won’t have to open my garage every time I get home to pull the charging cord out .

So other than those two obvious scenarios , I’m wondering if anyone can shed light on other pros& cons of inside garage vs outside garage installs ?
Thanks in advance !
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I would want it inside, personally. I don't care how weatherproof it is, the sun does a lot of damage over time.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
I went with an inside install due to the exposure issues. The garage door closes with the cord under the rubber seal. I have thought about fabricating a cord hanger just outside of the garage.
Ford F-150 Lightning Should I Install Charge Station Pro inside or outside ? 20220628_140959

Reactions: GDN

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I went with an inside install due to the exposure issues. The garage door closes with the cord under the rubber seal. I have thought about fabricating a cord hanger just outside of the garage.
20220628_140959.jpg
How many amps did you wire it for?

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
My main panel is outside near the corner of the garage. I park my truck outside on that side of the driveway. I'm going to install mine out there a couple feet above the main panel. Should be a cheaper install and it will be under the eaves of the house. If sun or rain begin to look like they'll impact it, then maybe I'll just buy a big, gray electrical box to put around it. Then it'll fit right in with the 3 gray cable cable boxes, 1 gray phone box, and gray breaker box all lining that side of the house.

Should go right above here:
Ford F-150 Lightning Should I Install Charge Station Pro inside or outside ? PXL_20220616_142145052

Sponsored

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I installed outside. All charging will be done outside. Not really concerned about the elements affecting the charger, it’s made for outside installation. I may remove the white decorative cover or paint it black.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
You can install it inside but leave the handle outside. I would suggest a holster for the J1772 handle, but it is not an absolute necessity (but what I did at work and home).

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, 3/4"

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
My electrician is installing my charge station pro tomorrow and I’m having trouble deciding if I should install it outside my garage or inside.
In either situation the distance from the fuse box and electric meter run will be exactly the same . My truck doesn’t fit in my garage but if I install it inside it will always be safe from the elements and if I install it outside I won’t have to open my garage every time I get home to pull the charging cord out .

So other than those two obvious scenarios , I’m wondering if anyone can shed light on other pros& cons of inside garage vs outside garage installs ?
Thanks in advance !
We are planning to install it on the outside (western facing away from the daytime sun). My concern was potential damage to the cord from having the garage door rest on the cord and press it against the concrete lip which is rough.

We have a dedicated 100 amp circuit for the charger with a cut off in the garage.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
How secure are these installed outside? Would it be easy to steal?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I’m installing mine outside, because I don’t have a garage! 🥲

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
20220628_140959.jpg
That's a huge B***h

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
How secure are these installed outside? Would it be easy to steal?
They are hard wired. I highly doubt someone is going to want to mess with a 240 volt device - especially if they do not know whether it is live or not.

I note that most new car dealerships have charging stations mounted to an exterior wall and I am not aware of any thefts or vandalism.
Sponsored