• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Steel 17" wheels from Tirerack?

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Oh, man. They interfered with the brake caliper or rotor, I'm guessing? I don't think anyone's running 17" wheels with the stock offset that I've heard of around here anyway.

Maybe they have an 18" steelie that works? There are good winter tire options in 18" and all-weather options like the Nokian Outpost (the newer "nAT" version even comes in a 123 load rating) though you lose all the "cargo van" and "SUV" tires like the WR-G4 that seem to stop at 17" sizes.
Yup, the caliper was pressed right against the side of the rim.

I'm fighting with Tire Rack on this now. They want me to pay $175 to ship them back, when they sold me the wrong size. I suspect I'll lose, but it's the principle.

I'm just learning about tire sizing. Is it possible to put in spacers to push these wheels out a little and get a fit? Does anyone know?
Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I've only ever used spacers on vehicles that used lug bolts (my old VW Eurovan), not studs with lug nuts. If you use spacers on a vehicle with lug bolts, you use longer bolts to accommodate the spacers. I'm not sure what the answer would be with the closed-top lug nuts used on the F150 - but I'm 100% sure someone else here is.

You want a decent amount of space between the caliper and rim because you really don't want something hard like a piece of gravel getting stuck in there and damaging the caliper.

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Appreciate the insight - thank you!

Sounds like a semi-aggressive 3PMS A/T tire may be the way to go. The BFG Trail Terrain T/A may be worth a look. I can't speak to range unfortunately, but this tire holds it's own in winter conditions and is near stock tire in terms of weight.
Hi @Discount Tire , be aware that your subsidiary Tire Rack is selling these 17" steel rims discussed in this thread that do not fit the Lightning. And trying to charge customers for returns.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
BFG AT KO3 285/75R 17
METHOD 17x9

Great tire for the truck with the right load rating. Range hit is real tho.

Ford F-150 Lightning Steel 17" wheels from Tirerack? IMG_6098

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Well, I finally got Tire Rack to agree that those 17" steelies do not fit. Took escalating twice before someone with sense checked into it. Victory, I guess? They will pay all shipping to have them returned. I have to package them up, so still kind of a pain, but at least they are not trying to charge me anymore.
Sponsored

Reactions: s_c