• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat ER Antimatter Blue (wave 3, 7.18 build)
Figured I would start a thread here on things I'm considering and/or will learn with the approach of Hurricane Ian this week. Feel free to add any tips/tricks/ideas to this thread so that someone can get the most out of their Lightning when a natural disaster hits.

First of all, I do not have a generator transfer switch nor do I plan on installing the FCSP to achieve the home integration system - although I wish I had a mini version of this to run my well pump. I will be relying solely on the truck's Pro Power onboard - I have a Lariat with the ER battery.

I plan to keep my refrigerator operational during any power outage, along with internet and TV. I may also run a inverter window AC and a few fans.

My first purchase will be a cord to take advantage of the 30a plug on the truck - something like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-extension-cord-l14-30p-to-four-5-20r-1267005

In addition, a few 10/12 gauge extension cords will be a must for longer runs, such as these: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...t-extension-power-cord-xpc12050c?cm_vc=-10005

Would appreciate any other ideas - we're in full preparation mode here.
Sponsored

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder
Figured I would start a thread here on things I'm considering and/or will learn with the approach of Hurricane Ian this week. Feel free to add any tips/tricks/ideas to this thread so that someone can get the most out of their Lightning when a natural disaster hits.

First of all, I do not have a generator transfer switch nor do I plan on installing the FCSP to achieve the home integration system - although I wish I had a mini version of this to run my well pump. I will be relying solely on the truck's Pro Power onboard - I have a Lariat with the ER battery.

I plan to keep my refrigerator operational during any power outage, along with internet and TV. I may also run a inverter window AC and a few fans.

My first purchase will be a cord to take advantage of the 30a plug on the truck - something like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-extension-cord-l14-30p-to-four-5-20r-1267005

In addition, a few 10/12 gauge extension cords will be a must for longer runs, such as these: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...t-extension-power-cord-xpc12050c?cm_vc=-10005

Would appreciate any other ideas - we're in full preparation mode here.
Make sure you lower the Pro Power mileage setting as much as it'll go, so it won't deactivate the power automatically when the battery reaches a certain percentage. Might not matter, but just in case. 🤞

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder
<snip> nor do I plan on installing the FCSP to achieve the home integration system...
Unless you have an option that's working well for you, I'd consider installing the FCSP after the threat is gone. The HIS is CRAZY expensive (~$10k) and I didn't bother installing it either, but the FCSP is not a bad choice especially with its higher DC amperage. Just a thought.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
If you have an integral garage that would be a plus. I’d be concerned about moisture at the plug connections. High winds and rain may cause problems.
Set Your max charge to 100% and leave the truck charging until your home loses power.
Good Luck. Stay safe.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have the same set up. Tested it a few weeks ago and works great!

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
If power is out for a couple of days, okay, but if power is out for a week you might have a dead truck, no power for the house, and no way to charge the truck.

For well under $1,000 you can get a good generator that will run refrigerators and lights. I have a 9KW Champion and the biggest window A/C I could find. Spent about $1,700 on those.

Pray for Tampa/St. Pete. This is setting up to be a worst case scenario for them. Very slow moving Cat 3-4, with landfall to the left of them. That bay is going to get quite deep. Their port is in for it.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
For well under $1,000 you can get a good generator that will run refrigerators and lights.
With a bunch of unhappy neighbors who hate your guts because they can’t stand the noise. Lightning does the job quietly without pollution. He can set the minimum to the range he need to make it to the closest working DCFC, fill it up with electrons in an hour and he is good for another few days to a week. Every time I lost power , it was limited to a small region. If the area is so large I can’t drive out of it to get juiced, the problem is much bigger than my melted ice cream.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
With a bunch of unhappy neighbors who hate your guts because they can’t stand the noise. Lightning does the job quietly without pollution. He can set the minimum to the range he need to make it to the closest working DCFC, fill it up with electrons in an hour and he is good for another few days to a week. Every time I lost power , it was limited to a small region. If the area is so large I can’t drive out of it to get juiced, the problem is much bigger than my melted ice cream.
Lost power in Harvey for a full week. Nobody bitches about generators when we are in survival mode. Not a lot of chargers around here either. Your mileage may vary.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
This. In Texas, when we lost power during the ice storm a few years ago, one of our neighbors gave everyone a double dose with a gas generator AND a floodlight that shined right into our pitch black bedroom. They didn't even offer us hot chocolate.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Lost power in Harvey for a full week. Nobody bitches about generators when we are in survival mode. Not a lot of chargers around here either. Your mileage may vary.
If you’re in hurricane territory you buy a backup generator and propane lanterns in the spring. Apologize to the neighbors next week.

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I don’t see the benefit to utilizing the 30 amp plug if just running extension cords. The truck appears to offer the same amount of watts to either of the 20 amp 110V as combined to the 30amp. I would just run more 110V cords as necessary.

I’m on Cape Cod, we get hit with storms and lose power 1-2x per year. Last year we lost power in October for two days. On day one we fired up a cheapo 7500 watt gas generator to keep our food cold, boiler running, and cell phones/light batteries charged. It was (very) loud and was burning about 5 gallons of gas every 8 hours. Nobody said anything, but we were the only people on our block running the generator day and night. On morning two of the storm I found a Honda 2200i generator new in box in western Mass for $1100, I made the 6 hour round trip to get it. After a three hour break in and oil change, I filled it and hooked it up to my same extension cords. The Honda was awesome! It was quiet, ran everything, and went over 10 hours on a 1.1 gallon tank. The app showed we were averaging 600 watts for what we had plugged in. I purchased a 6 gallon marine fuel tank modified to connect to the Honda (they have a fuel pump and create suction to pull from a tank) which should run the generator for 2-3 days without refueling. Even with the Lightning I won’t be selling off the Honda just yet. I’ll probably try and sell both of my generators this fall.

I had an electrician wire in the 30 amp generator input so I could use the Lightning to run the house. Unfortunately I ran into the bonded neutral issue so the setup won’t work as intended without either an expensive transfer switch or something else to trick the truck into not tripping the GFCI. I’m $500 into the generator plug wired into the panel, and dead in the water for now and back to extension cords.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I don’t see the benefit to utilizing the 30 amp plug if just running extension cords. The truck appears to offer the same amount of watts to either of the 20 amp 110V as combined to the 30amp. I would just run more 110V cords as necessary.

I’m on Cape Cod, we get hit with storms and lose power 1-2x per year. Last year we lost power in October for two days. On day one we fired up a cheapo 7500 watt gas generator to keep our food cold, boiler running, and cell phones/light batteries charged. It was (very) loud and was burning about 5 gallons of gas every 8 hours. Nobody said anything, but we were the only people on our block running the generator day and night. On morning two of the storm I found a Honda 2200i generator new in box in western Mass for $1100, I made the 6 hour round trip to get it. After a three hour break in and oil change, I filled it and hooked it up to my same extension cords. The Honda was awesome! It was quiet, ran everything, and went over 10 hours on a 1.1 gallon tank. The app showed we were averaging 600 watts for what we had plugged in. I purchased a 6 gallon marine fuel tank modified to connect to the Honda (they have a fuel pump and create suction to pull from a tank) which should run the generator for 2-3 days without refueling. Even with the Lightning I won’t be selling off the Honda just yet. I’ll probably try and sell both of my generators this fall.

I had an electrician wire in the 30 amp generator input so I could use the Lightning to run the house. Unfortunately I ran into the bonded neutral issue so the setup won’t work as intended without either an expensive transfer switch or something else to trick the truck into not tripping the GFCI. I’m $500 into the generator plug wired into the panel, and dead in the water for now and back to extension cords.
I have an electrician coming to do the transfer switch so I can use the Lightning for the house as an option. Lots of good information in this thread, in case you haven't seen it.

Honda is a great option. You probably have sine wave power which is important to avoid damage to electronics.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
olliegator

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat ER Antimatter Blue (wave 3, 7.18 build)
Any idea on the restoration ETA?
Not yet, the crew hasn’t even made it out yet. We’re almost through the major rain/wind, so it should be soon.
Sponsored