• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sync 4A - Are we stuck with deprecated technology already?

OP
OP

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
Additionally, Sync 3 still ships out with New Ford's. You'll be fine!
Different market segments. As I mentioned before the current Sync 4A stack has some serious flaws.

What EV does not show state of charge without going through 3 points on the screen. The focus is going to be to develop the current product, because there's no ROI in fixing UI issues on a platform that is no longer for sale.

I think people are missing this point.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I don't know, I found all of the following upgrades very useful:

• Blind spot camera on turn signal.
  • Chime on red light turning to green.
  • Sentry Mode
  • Massive Navigation improvements
    • Routing & retrouting
    • Range calculations that include wind and temperature for accurate estimates
    • Very precise range estimates
  • Flawless Phone as a key with NFC
  • Brake modulation on one-pedal driving with high battery state
  • Keep climate running while loading
  • Backup camera side repeater addition
  • Pin to drive
  • Pin for glovebox
  • Window / Door left open notifications
  • Disney channel addition -> Great for charging stops with the kids in tow
  • Valet mode
  • On route battery warm-up to supercharger.
  • And Coming soon:
    • Pothole avoidance

These were just some of the ones that I really appreciated, however there are many many more that don't stand out as much in my mind.
A handful of those are part of FSD which again, BluesClues has nothing to do with Sync4. Blues Clues will continue to get updates, especially if you decide to pay the fee after the free trial.

Again, about the only thing on that list Sync4 might be responsible for is Navigation.

I think some are confusing Sync4 as the main driver of everything in this vehicle and that is not the case.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
You are right, I chose not to drop more money on the 3. Software updates on the Lightning will continue even when Android comes along. There will be a point where itā€™s stops being updated but I also know that the truck isnā€™t dependent on Sync 4 being updated.
The MME and Lightning are the first vehicles Ford has pledged ongoing OTA updates for. This is new territory for them. There is no promise of hardware upgrades in the future of any sort.

As for Tesla, the only model thatā€™s been left behind is the original roadster. All others continue to get updates. Some donā€™t have all the hardware necessary for the latest self-driving functions. There have been certain hardware upgrades offered for many along the way. Itā€™s been a clumsy process much of the time and constantly changing in terms of how things will be available. A great example is the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades. Initially older Model S and some early Model X could not upgrade to MCU2 because it physically could not fit. This later changed with a lot of MCU1 failures and the computer no longer in production. Tesla had to order newly redesigned MCU2 units that would fit all the cars/ model years.

Iā€™m on my 2nd Tesla and love them for what they are. But of course not perfect and I think too many people get caught up in the hype. However I would still argue that Tesla zealots are no more delusional than Toyota loyalists.
Ford does not need to be Tesla, nor should they try to be. But I think the industry as a whole could benefit from some of what Tesla has done that customers are liking. Namely the direct orders and purchasing process. Ford is trying to go that route, but itā€™s difficult when also needing to support the existing dealership network. And a lot more so right now when dealers are starved for product to sell and many adding ridiculously high mark-ups to compensate.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Sync 3 was introduced in 2007 PJ, and it's still getting updates. So all I'm saying is you'll be fine.

When your Lightning is 18 years old, or sooner if you like, they'll have aftermarket options that will integrate to the latest and greatest.
Really not anything to worry about.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Different market segments. As I mentioned before the current Sync 4A stack has some serious flaws.

What EV does not show state of charge without going through 3 points on the screen. The focus is going to be to develop the current product, because there's no ROI in fixing UI issues on a platform that is no longer for sale.

I think people are missing this point.
The state of charge should 100% always be shown, but it should be in on the instrument cluster screen, not the infotainment screen, so not part of Sync 4A.

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Although Tesla made a massive blunder trying to sell FSD software before it matured, Itā€™s hard to ignore Tesla has raised the bar for continued software and hardware support, and hopefully others follow. The fact that original Model S owners can get new display computer upgrades (MCU2) and new 4G cell modems after the 3G networks the cars relied upon were shut down, is impressive. Pretty much any other car manufacturer would have used a laggy UI or connectivity problem to pitch you the idea of trading in your car for a new one.

Imagine if you could take your 2012 F-150 and get a brand new SYNC 4A back end that allowed you to access all the tech features that a 2022 F-150 sitting in the showroom has.

Reactions: GDN

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Although Tesla made a massive blunder trying to sell FSD software before it matured, Itā€™s hard to ignore Tesla has raised the bar for continued software and hardware support, and hopefully others follow. The fact that original Model S owners can get new display computer upgrades (MCU2) and new 4G cell modems after the 3G networks the cars relied upon were shut down, is impressive. Pretty much any other car manufacturer would have used a laggy UI or connectivity problem to pitch you the idea of trading in your car for a new one.

Imagine if you could take your 2012 F-150 and get a brand new SYNC 4A back end that allowed you to access all the tech features that a 2022 F-150 sitting in the showroom has.
Well, you can take that 2012 F150 and get a new head unit from any auto electronics store (or even your local Walmart) and get much of the same upgrade.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Did Farley not promise AA on MY23 Lightnings? If so, and there is no HW upgrade from MY22, then it should work on MY22 (although no commitment).

Other than not keeping that promise, what am I missing?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Last edited:

Sponsored

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Sync 3 was introduced in 2007 PJ, and it's still getting updates. So all I'm saying is you'll be fine.

When your Lightning is 18 years old, or sooner if you like, they'll have aftermarket options that will integrate to the latest and greatest.
Really not anything to worry about.
There is no evidence aftermarket options will exist with deep vehicle integration. E.g. integrating with battery charge module, climate controls, anything ford specific. This does not exist for any vehicle. There is nothing to bring a 2011 f-150 to the level of modern sync 4.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Did Farley not promise AA on MY23 Lightnings? If so, and there is no HW upgrade from MY22, then it should work on MY22 (although no commitment).

Other than not keeping that promise, what am I missing?
It was never promised for the ā€˜23 Lightning. They only said that they would begin introducing AA based infotainment on select vehicles with the 2023 model year. Many assumed it would simply arrive on the EVs first, probably because new tech and also because the announcement coincided with other Lightning info. I think people were also hoping Ford would put it on their flagship pickup since GM/ Chevy introduced their AA based system with the ā€˜22 Silverado.

IMO, Ford is screwing it up by not already introducing when they launched the Lightning.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
IMO, Ford is screwing it up by not already introducing when they launched the Lightning.
The sooner Ford stops pretending that they can make software and instead outsource to credible companies, the sooner they can really take over.
Sponsored