• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Supercharger Membership Launched @ $12.99 / month. First video of Lightning charging at Supercharger CCS Magic Dock

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I really don’t understand why EA has two CCS cables on each unit. Every time I’ve charged, either one would have reached.
For redundancy in case a handle is damaged (frequent) and allow more compatibility with various EV charger port locations. Cables are attached on opposite sides at the top of charger.

This video touches on the logistics of charging. This EV You tuber is very knowledgeable.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Good Video,

Lucid, Rivian, Lightning and Model 3

That Lucid could have charged in a regular Tesla spot and the Lightning could have used the side one. It’s going to take some time.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For redundancy in case a handle is damaged (frequent) and allow more compatibility with various EV charger port locations. Cables are attached on opposite sides at the top of charger.
Given the issues I’ve seen at EA, a damaged cable/handle isn’t one of them. I agree, a different car might see one cable location more advantageous over the other.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Good Video,

Lucid, Rivian, Lightning and Model 3

And a cameo from @tommolog!!! He's famous now. :LOL:

EDIT: If you read through the comments a Tesla engineer chimes in and says they plan to lengthen the cables when they do a full rollout.

Last edited:

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Given the issues I’ve seen at EA, a damaged cable/handle isn’t one of them. I agree, a different car might see one cable location more advantageous over the others
Not in my travels, especially at locations heavily trafficked by Uber drivers. They frequently throw charging cables/handles on the ground in frustration when they have difficulty charging. This breaks the locking tab which is necessary to charge. Phoenix Handles are much more robust (found mostly in Europe) and work much better with connection to the vehicle.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger Membership Launched @ $12.99 / month. First video of Lightning charging at Supercharger CCS Magic Dock 71DE4CEB-0D09-42C2-8E86-2F645F417741

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Not in my travels, especially at locations heavily trafficked by Uber drivers. They frequently throw charging cables/handles on the ground in frustration when they have difficulty charging. This brakes the locking tab which is necessary to charge. Phoenix Handles are much more robust (found mostly in Europe) and work much better with connection to the vehicle.
Not disagreeing with you. I just haven’t seen that in my travels.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
EDIT: If you read through the comments a Tesla engineer chimes in and says they plan to lengthen the cables when they do a full rollout.
The head of Tesla charging infrastructure mentioned that the V4 superchargers would have longer cables. They didn't say anything about longer cables on the V3 with Magic Dock. Not to cast doubt on an anonymous Youtube Commentor but it seems like something they would have mentioned if that was going to happen that way.

Crimnl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Bee Keeper
Hey Crimnl, How's your 23 Lightning working out. Mine was built late Jan but now held up "in transit" due to the battery issue at Rouge. So now I'm hesitant about taking delivery? I have a Model Y so maybe with my Tesla subscription already I'm hoping to get the same rate $0.43/Kwh at the Collingwood location. Have you charged your Lightning there?
GM 23 (ish)
I will never say again I love a vehicle having burnt through two GMC‘s in one year total engine failures. I have no complaints whatsoever about the lightning, issues, yes, minor minor. But Collingwood is no charging hotspot, like the rest of Ontario. I live in Craigleith. The best charging there is my house. I have not charged at the tesla chargers there, as, along with the rest of Canada, they are not CCS and are not going to charge your lightning in any year soon. The best charging in Collingwood is at the Canadian tire for non-tesla but it is only 50 kW. The best charger between Toronto and Collingwood is in Barrie at 350 kW. I charged there once, very good. You have to have, in Canada, charger at your house, your cottage, your ski, chalet, and everywhere else . Level three charging is abysmal, Ivy, which was and is owned by OPG and Hydro one is an absolute failure and is currently saying it is free, but literally 80% of the Chargers on the major highways do not work, so you are on your own The only decent ones are Petro Canada, electrify Canada, electrify America

(Um Um UmTrudeau wants everyone to have an EV, it will work for me, but where the rest of the country charges is beyond me.

If you ski, look me look me up I am at Craigleith

PS yes I would take the lightning over the Tesla Y

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
With all the Tesla chargers in NJ, there are none at the moment according to the Tesla app.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
With all the Tesla chargers in NJ, there are none at the moment according to the Tesla app.
I will probably be looking daily now to see if more pop up. I wonder how long this try-out period will last before they expand the rollout.

Sponsored

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Having additional options is usually not a bad thing. I rarely charge away from my home, but part of that reason is because the place we often travel for road trips is a dead zone. If Tesla opened up even just a couple of chargers in the Ocean City, MD area, it would make a world of difference.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The head of Tesla charging infrastructure mentioned that the V4 superchargers would have longer cables. They didn't say anything about longer cables on the V3 with Magic Dock. Not to cast doubt on an anonymous Youtube Commentor but it seems like something they would have mentioned if that was going to happen that way.
They could have been referring to the V4 SCs. I have no idea. Take it FWIW.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I mean, the more the merrier I suppose, but at $0.50 / kW it's pretty darn expensive.
I was shocked at how low the rates are!

I was expecting $1.00/kWh just to spite the non Tesla owners.

Much cheaper than what I pay at EVGo ($0.69/kWh) at peak hours.

As soon as some open in So Calif, I will give it a try since there are tons of Tesla SC near me.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I was shocked at how low the rates are!

I was expecting $1.00/kWh just to spite the non Tesla owners.

Much cheaper than what I pay at EVGo ($0.69/kWh) at peak hours.

As soon as some open in So Calif, I will give it a try since there are tons of Tesla SC near me.
Wouldn't the rates reflect the local electric rates? The chargers are buying local electric.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Wouldn't the rates reflect the local electric rates? The chargers are buying local electric.
I thought Tesla rates varied depending on the day / week and time of day ?

Tesla owners want to chime in on this ?
Sponsored