• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TFL made it to Fairbanks

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I really want them to start selling some swag from this trip. I would love a t-shirt, but I am no where remotely close to their geocache locations.

OP
OP
Bandit216

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
I told them I would wait until they post the Fairbanks segment video before I try to claim the geocache.

I also broke the news to them that they missed being the first Lightning in Alaska by a few days.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I told them I would wait until they post the Fairbanks segment video before I try to claim the geocache.

I also broke the news to them that they missed being the first Lightning in Alaska by a few days.
First Lightning delivered in Alaska or first Lightning driven to Alaska?

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I’m not sure it’s legit claim when a road trip requires taking a second pickup truck along with a generator to provide charges (TFL is using an accompanying PowerBoost F-150 to span areas without charging). It’s a stunt - not really an EV trip until it can be replicated by an independent driver. Put another way, your Lightning is stranded in Alaska for now, not possible to drive it to the lower 48.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I’m not sure it’s legit claim when a road trip requires taking a second pickup truck along with a generator to provide charges (TFL is using an accompanying PowerBoost F-150 to span areas without charging). It’s a stunt - not really an EV trip until it can be replicated by an independent driver. Put another way, your Lightning is stranded in Alaska for now, not possible to drive it to the lower 48.
Why wouldn't it be legit if they don't use the Powerboost to charge the Lightning?

OP
OP
Bandit216

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why wouldn't it be legit if they don't use the Powerboost to charge the Lightning?
What's not legit about their trip, regardless of whether they use the Powerboost?

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I thought the power boost was more of an emergency back up?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
What's not legit about their trip, regardless of whether they use the Powerboost?
I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm just trying to understand Dave's rationale for calling it a stunt.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I thought the power boost was more of an emergency back up?
Their stated strategy was to use the PowerBoost for charging in the spots where there is no charging available. I’ve driven and ridden (motorcycle - that’s Alaska in my profile pic, on a ride from the Arctic Ocean to Argentina) that entire route several times, including to Prudhoe Bay. No way they can make it from Fairbanks to Deadhorse without bringing their own charging, and I suspect there are other sections that were dicey or impossible - and they “cheated” by using the ferry to Skagway, so eliminated the charging desert across the Alaksa Highway. They haven't posted the drive video yet, but did say in advance that the PowerBoost was part of that base charging strategy.

This is akin to the Long Way Up disaster where Evan McGregor and Charlie Boorman tried to ride Harley Lightnings from Ushuaia to San Francisco, using Rivians as support trucks. Completely failed, PR disaster for both companies, and simply ended up proving that EV travel remains impossible in remote locations. The reason this is a stunt is the same - they are doing the run, but no one else can do so driving a normal EV - and they are showing the truck cannot do the run without using ANOTHER truck as a crutch. Seems to define stunt to me..

Last edited:

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Their stated strategy was to use the PowerBoost for charging in the spots where there is no charging available. I’ve driven and ridden (motorcycle - that’s Alaska in my profile pic, on a ride from the Arctic Ocean to Argentina) that entire route several times, including to Prudhoe Bay. No way they can make it from Fairbanks to Deadhorse without bringing their own charging, and I suspect there are other sections that were dicey or impossible - and they “cheated” by using the ferry to Skagway, so eliminated the charging desert across the Alaksa Highway. They haven't posted the drive video yet, but did say in advance that the PowerBoost was part of that base charging strategy.

This is akin to the Long Way Up disaster where Evan McGregor and Charlie Boorman tried to ride Harley Lightnings from Ushuaia to San Francisco, using Rivians as support trucks. Completely failed, PR disaster for both companies, and simply ended up proving that EV travel remains impossible in remote locations. The reason this is a stunt is the same - they are doing the run, but no one else can do so driving a normal EV - and they are showing the truck cannot do the run without using ANOTHER truck as a crutch. Seems to define stunt to me..
I fully get your reasoning for calling it a stunt because they pre planned for generator aka Powerboost charging. But: wouldn’t it be possible to make that trip using maybe 120V outlets for (very slow) charging? Or are there simply none there? I’ve never been up there.

Sharpster

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Carbonized Grey
I don't think the legitimacy matters. Its just flat out cool that they are doing it. Sure it is a stunt and they are traveling with a back-up charging plan, but its still cool.
35yrs ago, a friend and I drove my Toyota 4x4 from Los Angeles to Coldfoot to Denver and back to LA via the AlCan hwy. That was a grueling trip in an ICE vehicle. Our northern goal was Prudhoe Bay but we didn't start early enough in the summer and hit heavy snow in Fairbanks. Turned around in Coldfoot after several near misses with big trucks and having to dig out of a few ditches.
TFL using the power boost to charge lightning is still going to be crazy inconvenient, when they have to do it, and is going to tax the capabilities and range of that hybrid vehicle too. Stunt or not, it is cool to follow the wins, losses, and heartaches...makes me want to do the trip again, if I ever retire.

OP
OP
Bandit216

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alaska has the same types of power outlets including 240v 14-50 outlets in most rv parks. The real problem is the 500 miles between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay where there is absolutely nothing- no powerlines and no cell coverage. The one "town" has like 6 houses. That town is almost exactly halfway between Fbks and PB. So you have two 250 mile legs which are right at the maximum range for the Lariat with the big tires and weight and drag of their camper shell. You need that powerboost for safety, if not power.

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
IIRC they said they were brining the other truck just in case. Have we heard they had to use it yet to charge the lightning?
Sponsored