• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TFL made it to Fairbanks

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Yeah, you could probably get to Fairbanks, painfully. But you could not make it to Deadhorse. There is no electrical power on the gravel/dirt Dalton Highway, 495 miles from Fairbanks to Deadhorse, except at Coldfoot camp, which is provided by local generator source. The first leg is 253 miles. Each leg includes mountain passes and it is almost entirely unpaved. No way you could make either leg even in a totally empty Lightning with no passengers, assuming you could find a way to charge at Coldfoot camp.

When motorcycling that road we have to strategize fueling for bikes with smaller tanks. I ride a bike with a 7.4 gallon tank, so can make it, but have ridden with others who only have 200 mile range, and we carry supplement fuel cans.

Those of us who live in the US or EU have a fantasy view of travel. Having motorcycled the world and purchased illegal Jerry can gas from shady guys in mud road Ugandan villages standing at a shuttered gas station, closed due to both fuel outage and no electricity, with similar experiences in Mongolia, Siberia, the Andes, rural China and even New Zealand and Eastern Europe, it is safe to say it will be a VERY long time before EV travel is ubiquitous. The vast majority of the world’s roads remain unpaved, and half the people in China have never flushed a toilet in their lives.

Our infrastructure is only a dream elsewhere. My wife and I are flying in September to meet our motorcycle in Antofagasta, Chile for a two-month ride through Peru, Chile, Bolivia, and Argentina, going places on unpaved roads where trying to use an EV will be impossible for the foreseeable future. I love EV driving, but expect to have ICE vehicles for the rest of our lives, especially for adventure travel. We just returned last week from two months riding from Heidelberg, where we store a motorcycle, to a ferry to England, another ferry to the Shetlands, another ferry to the Orkneys, another to Scotland, where we rode Skye and most of Scotland and the UK’s National parks. We saw lots of EVs in England, but for most of the 4,700 miles we rode on the motorcycle, much on one-lane sheep paths, an EV would have been nearly impossible, and will remain so - even though we stayed at inns or b&bs every night, and rode fairly short distances each day compared to our norm - and that’s arguably the first world, included a stop in London near the end to see Hamilton for our 45th anniversary. Just the escape day from London to my sister’s place in Strasbourg France via the Folkestone Chunnel train would have been a logistics and speed-limited impossibility, but completely reasonable on BMW motorcycle using the autobahn’s high speed opportunities, which destroy range in an EV.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I’m not sure it’s legit claim when a road trip requires taking a second pickup truck along with a generator to provide charges (TFL is using an accompanying PowerBoost F-150 to span areas without charging). It’s a stunt - not really an EV trip until it can be replicated by an independent driver. Put another way, your Lightning is stranded in Alaska for now, not possible to drive it to the lower 48.

Tbh I don't think it's really "driving to Alaska" if you take the ferry, but here we are...

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Tbh I don't think it's really "driving to Alaska" if you take the ferry, but here we are...
Technically you take the ferry to Skagway Alaska and then immediately re-enter Canada and the Yukon, taking a big swing up through Whitehorse, before re-entering Alaska, with a long distance still to go to reach Fairbanks or Anchorage. That is a shortcut compared to taking the entire Alaska Highway on land, but a lot of folks consider the Alaska Marina Highway, which is the moniker for their state-run subsidized overnight ferry from Washington, to be a legitimate element of driving to Alaska, even if it is an overnight ferry. I’m with you on this, don’t say that I rode to the Shetlands last month by taking the bike on a 14-hour ferry from Aberdeen Scotland to Lerwick, Shetlands.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So they are at the Arctic circle.

How do I view the videos (short clip, phone compressed) - the link goes to other silly videos.
Very frustrating.

Why can't they just upload their video instead of this YT offshoot ?
Ford F-150 Lightning TFL made it to Fairbanks Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 6.42.07 AM

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I’m not sure it’s legit claim when a road trip requires taking a second pickup truck along with a generator to provide charges (TFL is using an accompanying PowerBoost F-150 to span areas without charging). It’s a stunt - not really an EV trip until it can be replicated by an independent driver. Put another way, your Lightning is stranded in Alaska for now, not possible to drive it to the lower 48.
Maybe the point is to spread awareness about the need for fast charging infrastructure up north. Especially northern BC which is a complete dead zone.

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
So they are at the Arctic circle.

How do I view the videos (short clip, phone compressed) - the link goes to other silly videos.
Very frustrating.

Why can't they just upload their video instead of this YT offshoot ?
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 6.42.07 AM.png
They'll post the full video on Saturdays. So far it's just been Andre showing off the camper warehouse.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It seems like Shorts is YouTube's recent competitive answer for TikToc. Not a fan. If they're where there's cell, but no grid/fiber, etc, maybe it's the only way to get videos out. Wait, I thought they were taking a Starlink

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
It seems like Shorts is YouTube's recent competitive answer for TikToc. Not a fan. If they're where there's cell, but no grid/fiber, etc, maybe it's the only way to get videos out. Wait, I thought they were taking a Starlink
nothing to do with cell reception. it's the growing trend in media consumption. straight to the point 30 second bytes that advertise the main content. its like a commercial.

nothing worse than the YouTubers that take forever to get to the point. "hey what's up guys, welcome to the channel, don't forget to subscribe and hit the bell bla bla bla..."

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I'm not really sure what your point is? You've invented some sort of story about their trip being a EV purity test or something which they've never implied. They aren't trying to win a contest or set a Guinness World Record. They got an electric pickup and decided to try to drive it to the middle of nowhere Alaska to say they did it and make some videos.

And they did it:

And I'm sure the full series will share all the logistics and not pretend it's some sort of self sufficient electric vehicle publicity stunt (because they've already been open about how they are doing it).

PS. I also don't see how brining a spare generator is any different than driving motorcycles with spare gas cans? Or bumming a free charge off a local is any different than taking their gas? Or taking the ferry to Alaska is any different than going around the Darién Gap on the Pan American highway?

No road trip is self sufficient. Be it gas stations or friendly locals or a hybrid pickup, everyone needs to stop and get fuel somewhere.

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, I believe the headline is catchy, but as some might surmise, the 'trip' is less of 'driving the Lightning all the way to Alaska', as if doing it on it's own, and more of a 'test' to see what it really TAKES to drive the truck to Alaska - as most of us who have driven to, and thru, and back from Alaska - it takes some planning, some doing, and sometimes even good planning doesn't pan out as you might imagine.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I'm not really sure what your point is? You've invented some sort of story about their trip being a EV purity test or something which they've never implied. They aren't trying to win a contest or set a Guinness World Record. They got an electric pickup and decided to try to drive it to the middle of nowhere Alaska to say they did it and make some videos.

And they did it:

And I'm sure the full series will share all the logistics and not pretend it's some sort of self sufficient electric vehicle publicity stunt (because they've already been open about how they are doing it).

PS. I also don't see how brining a spare generator is any different than driving motorcycles with spare gas cans? Or bumming a free charge off a local is any different than taking their gas? Or taking the ferry to Alaska is any different than going around the Darién Gap on the Pan American highway?

No road trip is self sufficient. Be it gas stations or friendly locals or a hybrid pickup, everyone needs to stop and get fuel somewhere.
My point is they are showing once again that EV travel is impossible to many destinations, In this case it requires a complete crutch - and no it isn’t simply like bringing extra gas. It is bringing a whole other truck that can actually make the trip without assistance. I’m an EV fan, and proving that some destinations are impossible for an EV seems pointless. Yes, they got there, but again, impossible without a whole other vehicle. I’ve gotten around the Darien gap on my motorcycle twice - that’s a whole other thing - AND we made sure to cover every inch of latitude from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia on the saddle, no cheating (flew the bike from Panama City to Bogota, but then rode north to Cartagena, which is North of Panama City., then resumed southward ride).

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
My point is they are showing once again that EV travel is impossible to many destinations, In this case it requires a complete crutch - and no it isn’t simply like bringing extra gas. It is bringing a whole other truck that can actually make the trip without assistance. I’m an EV fan, and proving that some destinations are impossible for an EV seems pointless. Yes, they got there, but again, impossible without a whole other vehicle. I’ve gotten around the Darien gap on my motorcycle twice - that’s a whole other thing - AND we made sure to cover every inch of latitude from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia on the saddle, no cheating (flew the bike from Panama City to Bogota, but then rode north to Cartagena, which is North of Panama City., then resumed southward ride).
Sounds to me like you got there but it was impossible without a whole other vehicle (the airplane). You cheated. ;)

I'm still not sure why you are upset about the videos? From your reply it sounds now like you are mad they are pointing out the shortcomings of electric cars? I didn't get that from them. Their videos always seem incredibly supportive of EVs. Of course there are no Electrify America stations in remote Alaska and they had to make other arrangements. That's not the point of the video. It's just a fun and unique road trip to try out their new toy (and get views for their channel).

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Sounds to me like you got there but it was impossible without a whole other vehicle (the airplane). You cheated. ;)

I'm still not sure why you are upset about the videos? From your reply it sounds now like you are mad they are pointing out the shortcomings of electric cars? I didn't get that from them. Their videos always seem incredibly supportive of EVs. Of course there are no Electrify America stations in remote Alaska and they had to make other arrangements. That's not the point of the video. It's just a fun and unique road trip to try out their new toy (and get views for their channel).
Don’t get me wrong, I like the TFL guys a lot, follow all their stuff, subscribe on YouTube, and have no problem with this stunt. Just making an observation that the Lightning driving to Prudhoe Bay is a fail - it cannot do it. In the case of my motorcycle trip, I rode every inch of the PanAm Highway that has been completed, AND rode every inch of latitude from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia, no transport across gaps in that statement - my rides actually overlapped teh Darien gap element of the latitude where the gap exists. The Lightning cannot make it to Prudhoe Bay on its own - there is no way to charge/fuel that vehicle without bringing ANOTHER more capable vehicle along to make the trip possible. Just as the Rivian and Harley LiveWire failed in South America during Long Way Up (although their backup systems didn’t work and they required multiple tows. I highly recommend watching the series), the Lightning cannot make the distance. I believe that this is worth observing - and I think it hurts the EV case - proves to naysayers what they believe - that any ICE truck can do that ride unassisted, but that NO EV can do so without an ICE truck along to USE gasoline to generate electricity for charging, defeating the entire EV mandate - an unmitigated fail - something that the TFL guys will likely acknowledge in their full video.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
What's interesting is someone has actually made the drive to Anchorage from Vermont in a Bolt. And they went through Colorado. TFL totally could have driven all the way to Fairbanks. Then done whatever they did to get up the Dalton highway.

https://alaskalandmine.com/landmine...car-from-vermont-to-alaska-during-a-pandemic/

I'm sort of disappointed that they didn't actually drive the whole way and I feel like they are somewhat going to be giving more ammunition to those people who say EVs will never work.....because you know, everyone has plans to drive to Alaska every summer 🙄

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I think it’s a blast to watch them! I don’t see anyone else making a plan and doing something like that. Bottom line is we will all get our Trucks and do what we want with them. If you’re safe, little by little see what you can and cannot do, so you will rely on your own experience. I’m hoping to get 150 miles next year with my slide in camper from Scout. I’ll be happy with that! I’m already looking up destinations I want to go to and checking out the charging situations. If there’s a place I want to camp at that is more remote, or more demanding, I will gas up the Bronco and take a tent and do it that way. Cheers!
Sponsored