• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The truck won't charge... again.

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
@Ford Motor Company, your software needs work.

This has been an infrequent but recurring problem for me.

Charged overnight, no problem. Take the truck out early, drive it a bit. Get back home, plug in the charger, and... nothing. All I get is a grayed-out "charge to 100%" button the message "Charge paused at home."

I've reset everything one can reset, including the "one time charge level." I've cycled everything that can be cycled. I've disabled all schedules, and created them again. I've started and stopped the truck. Plugged in and unplugged and plugged in again. I've checked the EVSE settings and power cycled it.

Experience would suggest that, when I get up tomorrow morning, the truck will be charged. But for the rest of today my only choice is to drive to a public charger and pay (while my solar system pushes a lot of excess electrons out to the grid).

You are probably tired of hearing me say this, but... There should be a button on the "Charge Settings" page in the truck that says, "Charge NOW." It should ignore every other line of code and, assuming there is an EVSE offering charge, it should start charging the truck. I should not need a phone app to charge the truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning The truck won't charge... again. IMG_4729.PNG
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
What charger are you using?
Will the mobile charger at least work on 120V?
Did you see the final resolution on this thread?

Very weird, especially the part "Note: You can only resume charge at a charge station"

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What brand & model of EVSE?

OP
OP

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
What charger are you using?
Will the mobile charger at least work on 120V?
Did you see the final resolution on this thread?
What brand & model of EVSE?
The EVSE is an Emporia system, hardwired 60A/240V, and set to charge at 24A. Didn't try another charger, and thanks for the tip about a virus setting... checked that, but, no.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Is the parking area where you plug in variable in position +/- xx feet ?
Could it be a slightly out of spec GPS signal??

What is odd is that it's using your "HOME" charging configuration, yet it might not fully recognize the GPS position.

For now, unplug the truck, DELETE the configuration, plug back in, it should immediately start charging to 100%.

When you get back from the trip pick a very specific spot in driveway / garage to minimize GPS variation, plug in and build brand new charging profile for home, do not override the GPS coordinates that is recommended for your position, set the SOC percentage and time frames for weekday and weekend and save.

OP
OP

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired

What is odd is that it's using your "HOME" charging configuration, yet it might not fully recognize the GPS position.

For now, unplug the truck, DELETE the configuration, plug back in, it should immediately start charging to 100%.

When you get back from the trip pick a very specific spot in driveway / garage to minimize GPS variation, plug in and build brand new charging profile for home, do not override the GPS coordinates that is recommended for your position, set the SOC percentage and time frames for weekday and weekend and save.

Didn't try this today, but I have deleted and recreated the "home" location a couple of times trying to fix this. The truck is in the same spot as always. I only have maybe 6 or so feet of possible variability due to the cord. I'll give your suggestion a try again after I tighten up my parking location. Thanks for your time and trouble!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'm with you on the notion that anything you can do by 'app' should also be easy within the truck, itself... or vice versa...

Engineers don't always think about all the 'real world' issues that might arise, and sometimes think as everything being a 'perfect' environment...

think about anyone who might live in an apartment or similar 'complex', although they might have overnight access to 240v Level 2 chargers placed around the parking areas... even if they set up their 'preferred' overnight charging settings, the 'truck' software might not think they are at home, if they park in a 'different' space... even though no other spaces are available... aggravating.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I don't hate specific charge locations/profiles, but there should be a user adjustable global charging profile.
A global might be nice, but I still want the site specific.

At home I have one set and a lv2 near my kids mom’s house I have set to a higher limit knowing I am going to burn 12% on the drive home. So if I stop in her town I can get more power since it is a free 12kW evse

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
It's odd that you don't have a "Charge to 100%" option. That would seem to be the EVSE telling the truck not to charge. Do you have any settings in your Emporia charger that would limit when the truck can charge? Maybe reset the Emporia EVSE back to factory settings and see if it works then.

If it were a charging location profile on the truck, I would expect the "Charge to 100%" button would be available.

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
OP
OP

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
It's odd that you don't have a "Charge to 100%" option. That would seem to be the EVSE telling the truck not to charge. Do you have any settings in your Emporia charger that would limit when the truck can charge? Maybe reset the Emporia EVSE back to factory settings and see if it works then.

If it were a charging location profile on the truck, I would expect the "Charge to 100%" button would be available.
The EVSE does have various settings that can be used, including a charging schedule. When this has happened previously, I've tried both resetting the software and hard power cycles without getting any change.

As expected, it charged on schedule last night, no problem. Next time this happens I'll first try fully resetting the EVSE and, if that doesn't work, I'll try deleting the "Home" location and getting the truck into exactly the same spot in the driveway every time.

This is one of those, "not the end of the world as I know I can work around it" kinda problems, but it's just so frustrating. The truck itself is superb; I just wish the tech would quit fighting me.

Mike37

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning; 2010 Corvette
Occupation
Retired

My driveway parking area is 3 lanes wide. I sometimes park in one lane or the other. On several occasions, I have found that the truck failed to begin charging at the scheduled time. Last night I parked in the “alternate” space and found that the truck didn’t begin charging at the scheduled time. When I replugged the truck, it began charging. I had a similar situation when I charged at my daughter’s home, a few feet forward of where I had charged previously. I didnt realize that the GPS would be so sensitive (or even be involved) during charging. I suppose I might need to make some marks on the parking area and stick to them.
Sponsored