• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The article mostly contains stuff we know already but has a few tidbits of new information, including production numbers thus far. Some highlights:

• The plant had built about 1,800 Lightnings when we spoke, and Farley says that while Ford will be “on plan” with its capacity goals, he simply laughs and says “no” when asked if production will meet demand anytime soon.
  • If things go well, Farley predicts Ford will run out of its 125,000 $7,500 EV tax credits sometime late this year or early next year.
  • Ford makes around a million F-series trucks a year, which means it buys a lot of chips, and Farley has prioritized making sure the Lightning gets the chips it needs out of that supply. “I don’t see the chips as a constraint for Lightning,” says Farley. “I definitely see it as a constraint for our company. But we’re not going to produce 20 percent less Lightnings because we got 20 percent less chips for the F-series.”
  • The Lightning will ship with a new charging-locator map that identifies fast chargers and allows users to report broken or malfunctioning charging stations.... That new charger-locator interface will eventually come to the Mustang Mach-E, which is due for a major software update later this year that will refresh the entire interface displayed on the screens in the car. Farley likens it to an iPhone update, saying “the whole UX is going to change.”
  • Of course, the biggest software change of all will come when Ford’s collaboration with Google on an entirely new Android-based Sync infotainment stack that has Google Maps and other services arrives next year..... current Ford vehicles will not be upgradable to the new Android-based Sync — which means these first Lightnings off the line will have Ford’s existing Sync 4 system, while 2023 Lightnings that ship next year will have the new Android-based Sync, a potential silver lining for impatient preorder buyers.
Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
I guess I'm surprised its so many already but I don't know realistically how that compares :)

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I guess I'm surprised its so many already but I don't know realistically how that compares :)
They're making sure the dealers have a demo. I know all our local dealers are now listing their "in-transit" window stickers.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
1800 Lightnings/6 weeks production since 3-11 = 300 per week average but ramping up to current week estimated average of about 500.

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
Its disappointing they aren't going to upgrade 2022 Lightnings to the new operating system. I would have thought that is something they would have planned in order to keep all the Lightnings in sync for OTA updates.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Its disappointing they aren't going to upgrade 2022 Lightnings to the new operating system. I would have thought that is something they would have planned in order to keep all the Lightnings in sync for OTA updates.
Probably has different hardware behind the scenes

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I agree, from a software development standpoint it's really going to be a lot of work to have one model year on a different infotainment system.
I am also curious from a hardware standpoint is there something currently that is going to be upgraded that is why this will not be backwards compatible. Maybe using a completely different chipset for the infotainment system.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
  • Of course, the biggest software change of all will come when Ford’s collaboration with Google on an entirely new Android-based Sync infotainment stack that has Google Maps and other services arrives next year..... current Ford vehicles will not be upgradable to the new Android-based Sync — which means these first Lightnings off the line will have Ford’s existing Sync 4 system, while 2023 Lightnings that ship next year will have the new Android-based Sync, a potential silver lining for impatient preorder buyers.
Just logged in to share this same article because of this section right here- the initial launch of the flagship vehicle as an EV *won't* be upgradeable to the major software/UX overhaul that's been in development for years now? If true that's a pretty major mistake IMO

Chuin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just logged in to share this same article because of this section right here- the initial launch of the flagship vehicle as an EV *won't* be upgradeable to the major software/UX overhaul that's been in development for years now? If true that's a pretty major mistake IMO
this is a huge issue. Why would they do this?

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I'm not sure the Android-based systems offer much benefit over standard Android Auto at the moment. There will be issues if the MY22 trucks are orphaned from Ford-specific feature updates, though.

My dog will be very sad if she doesn't get dog mode....

Sponsored

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
This is good news for those who have to wait until 2023+ for an order. First model years always have some sort of unique quirks. I'm sure you can swap a head-unit over later if you really need the android automotive upgrade.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
This is concerning to say the least. The early adopters who took the risk to by in on a MY22 will be left behind? If they migrate everything to the Android based Sync, that likely means no new features, and long waits for bug fixes for MY22 owners!

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I don't really care about the infotainment -- as long as it loads Android Auto, I am fine. I don't use the infotainment on any car, unless I am lazy.

From what I've seen from Ford, their current infotainment is not bad and better than most on the market.

I would say i'm only a little annoyed that Ford is talking a lot about being more like Tesla in the Software game and their biggest project launch is already dated from day 1 with no plans to update. They should have 100% thought of a good way to update it.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Yeah, you don't delay a truck because you are updating the infotainment system. That happens every few years anyway. There's nothing wrong with the current infotainment system.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Dont really care about the infotainment system, as long as the rest of the car can be updated. I honestly hardly ever used any of the infotainment stuff in the Model 3

If anything the new one will have more bugs than the current one
Sponsored