• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

This truck loves traffic (kwh/Mile)

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I recently added lane centering and ACC and am loving it my 23' XLT SR. This thing sips power in rush hour traffic and does all the highway driving for me. I typically average 2.8-3.1 kwh/mile to and from work. I've managed to average 2.5 for the lifetime of my ownership starting in January by precondition the battery and truck cabin during the winter temps.

Ford F-150 Lightning This truck loves traffic (kwh/Mile) IMG_20230605_072924

Ford F-150 Lightning This truck loves traffic (kwh/Mile) IMG_20230605_073207
Sponsored

Last edited:

DenverDan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021MME FE and 2023 F150 Lightning
It also loves city driving with 3.75-4.5 mi/kwh! I got mine in January as well and got 2.0 kWh without preconditioning driving about 4K in Colorado mountains. No garage to precondition in.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
That's about what I average, it's warm enough here in the winter that I managed 2.7-2.8 in the winter. My morning commute this past week, in the low 70's, moderate traffic, getting 3.2. So even when I blast the A/C on the way home my round trip still gives me 2.8 :)

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
It also loves city driving with 3.75-4.5 mi/kwh! I got mine in January as well and got 2.0 kWh without preconditioning driving about 4K in Colorado mountains. No garage to precondition in.
Yeah Im in North Carolina my truck doesn't fit in the garage but the heated seat are a game changer to limit heat use if any.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
This says a lot for slowing down.

I can see the same thing in my Prius. I'll get 45-50 driving 70mph constant but then when I be ready commuting I could get 60mpg on the trip to work which was mostly freeway but with a good amount of traffic.

Sponsored

Heffman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat extended range
Occupation
Sales

I can see the same thing in my Prius. I'll get 45-50 driving 70mph constant but then when I be ready commuting I could get 60mpg on the trip to work which was mostly freeway but with a good amount of traffic.
Agreed and it’s one of the biggest things I’ve learned from owning the truck. I definitely peg the cruise around 65-70 now even in my ice vehicles and it’s quite a lift to the fuel economy. Driving 55 on backroads is an even bigger bump so I try to do that as well when it’s not too much slower time wise.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

I haven't changed any driving habits while commuting I go as fast as traffic allows which is like 40-55mph on the highway and 35 on city streets. Out of traffic I tend to hit the fun pedal a little harder 😂😂😂

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If it's plugged in outside, it will precondition with a departure time just fine. If not plugged in, then you can just warm the cabin.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I recently added lane centering and ACC and am loving it my 23' XLT SR. This thing sips power in rush hour traffic and does all the highway driving for me. I typically average 2.8-3.1 kwh/mile to and from work. I've managed to average 2.5 for the lifetime of my ownership starting in January by precondition the battery and truck cabin during the winter temps.

IMG_20230605_072924.jpg

IMG_20230605_073207.jpg

[/QUOTE]

IMG_20230605_072924.jpg

IMG_20230605_073207.jpg
Agree completely, with praise of Lane Centering (not “Lane Keeping,” which is outdated tech). Copilot 360 Assist (and not “Active”) is the sweet spot, imho, available in XLT Hi and Lariat Low: you get everything but hands-off (Bluecruise), and on any road with lane markings! (Rivian can’t do that) CoPilot Assist is functionally equivalent to basic Tesla Autopilot (Tesla drivers take note), but adds Speed Sign Recognition to automatically adjust cruise setting.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I have had my truck just over 10 months with approx. 7,800 miles and my energy usage/efficiency since I have owned the truck is 2.7 miles kilowatt hour.

Sponsored

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I so want to add ACC to my XLT SR 2023. Did u have the tow tech package? How difficult was it? I have closely followed the ACC thread but got confused with application to XLT

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I so want to add ACC to my XLT SR 2023. Did u have the tow tech package? How difficult was it? I have closely followed the ACC thread but got confused with application to XLT
No the only option I had was a tailgate step. It seems that the wiring harnesses were used as available with no rhythm or reason. I ended up running 4 wire through the fire wall (I had to de-pin the 4 wires from the harness that comes from the driver's side to the passenger kick panel) and splicing them Into the new harness that has the connector for ACC radar. The most stressful part was the programming in Forscan because it throws so many codes and I hadn't gone that far into Forscan previously. It's not too bad looking back but it's was a learning experience but very guided if you read the whole forum thread.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Yeah words like de-pin and splice….I’m too stupid to make that work.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat

Slowing down helps, but a HUGE factor is the traffic. Get it out on the open road with no one ahead of you and see what you get. At 65 I get about 1.7 unless there is a tailwind.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Yeah words like de-pin and splice….I’m too stupid to make that work.
You can always check and see if you have the wires run. I wasn't expecting my Pro to have them and it did, which made the installation much quicker and easier
Sponsored