• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tire Pressure Check

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I wonder whether the door sticker recommendations reflect the specific tires that the factory installed on your truck. My ‘22 Lariat ER door sticker says my Generals are supposed to be 42lbs, and I would normally use 42 lbs for any brand of tires I subsequently use when these need to be replaced.

Am I wrong?
The door sticker (and FordPass) for my wife's '23 Lariat SR says 42 psi as well, and also has Generals for all-seasons. It was recommended by the shop that the same pressure be used on the Winters when they were purchased.

My '17 FFE says 41, but the '13 ICE Focus we used to have was 36, so there seems to be some factor likely related to the heavier weight of the EV.

Some on here have mentioned inflating to closer to the tire manufacturer's maximum rating, and I'm not so sure that is the best advice. If the inflation is on the high side for the vehicle, the tread will wear more at its centre. Inflate under the optimal value for the vehicle and the tread will wear more at the edges.

How does one determine the optimal value if different tires are put on the vehicle? I suspect tire manufacturers have tables or a formula that can be used that takes into account the vehicle's weight.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
That was why I figured the Lightning’s sticker pressure should be used with all brands of tires.
That won't work as different tires handle loads differently. Some will wear evenly at higher or lower pressures.

The chalk test is a good way to find that pressure.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
What is the chalk test? I want to try it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I checked my Fordpass app and it says that my tires are 6 lbs low. It is 24 degrees F right now. Should I air them up to 36, even though it's below freezing temperature? I have the factory installed Hancook AT tires on there and I don't want to over or under inflate them. Thanks in advance.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire Pressure Check Screenshot_20240121_112044_FordPass

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I checked my Fordpass app and it says that my tires are 6 lbs low. It is 24 degrees F right now. Should I air them up to 36, even though it's below freezing temperature? I have the factory installed Hancook AT tires on there and I don't want to over or under inflate them. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20240121_112044_FordPass.jpg
I see no harm, though when the temp's normalize for your area the cold pressure may go above spec, but not anything to worry about, my AS tires are low right now too, s/b 46 but showing 39

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I see no harm, though when the temp's normalize for your area the cold pressure may go above spec, but not anything to worry about, my AS tires are low right now too, s/b 46 but showing 39

I aired them up to 36. She even seems to ride a little smoother. I may even try the Chalk Test above when it warms up here next week.

Thanks, Taxman.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Years ago one of my son's friends showed up at our camp to ride his four wheeler with our kids. Tires looked like they were off a monster truck. He had them inflated to the side wall max PSI.
He said it rode a lot better after we removed 40 PSI.

I always go by the manual's recommended PSI

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Years ago one of my son's friends showed up at our camp to ride his four wheeler with our kids. Tires looked like they were off a monster truck. He had them inflated to the side wall max PSI.
He said it rode a lot better after we removed 40 PSI.

I always go by the manual's recommended PSI
Totally agree with this, but when you're chasing 50-60 temperature swings it can get a bit tedious raising and lowering them

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Totally agree with this, but when you're chasing 50-60 temperature swings it can get a bit tedious raising and lowering them
I agree. I am in Pa and had to add /remove air multiple times this year because of temperature swings.

Six gallon pancake compressor is one of the most used tools in the garage during winter
Sponsored