• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tire Pressure Check

Scott Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Space Lazer Repair Technician
Just exploring the Ford Pass app this morning , I noticed the tire pressure on all four tires low. 28 29 29 30

The app shows the standard pressure should be 36. I am surprised there is not a warning, especially when one of the tires is 8lbs under.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It goes by percentage. I believe it's 20% below the door jamb, so you're on the hairy edge at 28. They aren't very accurate.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Just exploring the Ford Pass app this morning , I noticed the tire pressure on all four tires low. 28 29 29 30

The app shows the standard pressure should be 36. I am surprised there is not a warning, especially when one of the tires is 8lbs under.
Which model Lightning are you driving???
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire Pressure Check 1703958114450

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
We have a 2023 SR Lariat (My Wife's) and I drive a 2022 Mach e Premium
I guessing you also in a colder region with AT tires, just pump them back up to 36 while tires are cold.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my Michelin Primacy XC's are running at near max tire stated 51psi, and loving it...

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I wonder whether the door sticker recommendations reflect the specific tires that the factory installed on your truck. My ‘22 Lariat ER door sticker says my Generals are supposed to be 42lbs, and I would normally use 42 lbs for any brand of tires I subsequently use when these need to be replaced.

Am I wrong?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I wonder whether the door sticker recommendations reflect the specific tires that the factory installed on your truck. My ‘22 Lariat ER door sticker says my Generals are supposed to be 42lbs, and I would normally use 42 lbs for any brand of tires I subsequently use when these need to be replaced.

Am I wrong?
No, not really. The difference being that the at tires will wear in the center at that higher pressure. Real truck tires (Lt) are usually rated for 60 psi and you increase the pressure as your load increases. The grabbers were designed to run at the higher pressure even though they aren't Lt.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I wonder whether the door sticker recommendations reflect the specific tires that the factory installed on your truck
Yes, that sticker is specific to the type of tire spec'd during the ordering of the truck.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
My Michelin Primacy XC tires, "Developed in conjunction with the world's leading truckmakers" per Michelin, stock from the factory, say "51 Max PSI"... which is NO WHERE near the low PSI the door sticker states... I trust the tire manufacturer, who provides it's own warranty, not the vehicle manufacturer. If I change my tires in the future, the same applies.

Michelin states, as to the question of what the Vehicle Manufacturer states as 'their' PSI max:
"These ination pressures must be maintained as a minimum. Never exceed the Maximum Pressure rating stated on the tire sidewall"...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The "Sticker" is for as built & delivered trucks ....... what you put on the truck upon the first replacement cycle is your responsibility for maintenance.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
right, but the 'sticker' differs from the tire manufacturer's own information... the tire manufacturer will determine the necessary requirements, not the vehicle's manufacturer, since the warranty extends from the tire manufacturer.
It looks like the vehicle manufacturers just add their own 'low PSI' minimums, where the tire, itself, shows 'high PSI' maximums... I suppose we should all be somewhere 'in between' : )

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
On my Tesla Model S, the door sticker says 45 lbs and I ran my Michelins at 50 lbs, still not exceeding the “maximum pressure” written on the tire sidewalls. Result was that the tires wore too much in the middle. After that I went with the pressure stated on the door sticker. This way the tire wear was even across the tread. And the car came new with some other brand of tires.

That was why I figured the Lightning’s sticker pressure should be used with all brands of tires.

Seems to be the thinking in this thread that one should go with the max pressure given on the sidewall. I am not yet convinced, but keep trying please.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ford uses a few variations of the tire placard sticker, specifically reflecting the tire ordered & installed at the factory, I trust the Ford engineers to point us to the safe and effective inflation levels.
Sponsored