• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Truck Height for Parking Structures

Akemisdad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
I've tried to research but see conflicting stats. I'm trying to figure out if my truck will clear our work parking structure at 6'6". I am driving a Platinum trim if that makes a difference. Anyone know the specifics on the Height of the Vehicle?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
that will be very close and highly dependent on the garage in question. Oftentimes they have piping and other things added after construction that bring it down lower than posted. We tried a 6'6" garage in DC and my wife (driving) scraped up the roof of mine on a pipe.

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
The height of the lighting is listed as 77.2 inches (6ft 5.2 inches). 6'6" would be to close for me. I would want at least a foot of clearance. as some parking structures have pipes and conduits hanging from the ceiling.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Also you need to worry if there are lumps or speed bumps. Structures might not be built to print, get repaved, have pipes or conduits added, speed bumps added, etc.

On most trucks, the radio antenna is higher than the roof. If the antenna is not hitting, you should be good. If its hitting, you need to proceed with caution.

Sponsored

sparta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
I've successfully navigated a 6' 8" garage before, but it was scary.

I'm normally comfortable with anything 7' or above, but would definitely not go below 6' 8".

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
6’6’ -should- be good. As other mentioned, proceed with caution

they’re not supposed to add conduit or have ramps that are issues for non commercial vehicles. It’s on them to maintain the posted clearance

for expeditions, fans, or trucks with bed caps where that max height extends over most of the vehicle length, ramps may put the clearance out of spec

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The Ford OEM antenna for the Lightning is a couple inches taller than the cab roof and satellite antennas. Someone in an earlier thread mentioned using that as an"early" warning system. So far, I've had no trouble in garages with as little as 6'6" clearance but if it looks like a tight squeeze, I drive REAL slow!!! I removed my OEM antenna. I'm driving a 2023 Lariat ER with 20" All-Season tires supplied by Ford and inflated to 42 psi cold.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I've tried to research but see conflicting stats. I'm trying to figure out if my truck will clear our work parking structure at 6'6". I am driving a Platinum trim if that makes a difference. Anyone know the specifics on the Height of the Vehicle?
The truck is 76” tall. I go through a 78” opening every day…

The whip antenna will hit, and it will freak you out. The solution there is an antenna delete or stubby.

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Height for Parking Structures IMG_2598

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Height for Parking Structures IMG_2559

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Height for Parking Structures IMG_2600

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
If the radio antenna clears the truck will clear.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model 3, Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Dev
I park in a 6 foot 10 garage and watch what goes above me through the sunroof. There’s not a lot of clearance left. Maybe 2-3 inches to the sticky uppy bits. A trick is to use your antenna as a guide. Grab a laser level, level across from the tallest part of the roof and put a line on your antenna there however you want. Skinny piece of tape. Paint. Your choice.

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
I go into a 6'6" garage daily with no issues. They say 6'6" but it probably has a few inches to spare. My antenna hits at a few places, but the top never does. I've been going into these garages for years, and with my last F-150 was almost exactly the same.

Sometimes I even hear the warning "tube, or chains" rub the top upon entering garages, but I've never scraped. I do proceed with caution.

jplaplante

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT; 2023 Durango; 2018 Leaf
My office garage is 6'5". My truck originally barely scraped the clearance bar (hanging on chains) when I first bought it and the antenna definitely hits the bar and signage in the garage - even today. Based on other forum input, I lowered the rear of the truck with 3-inch shorter struts and it definitely cleared no problem after that. Subsequently, I switched to 1.5-inch shorter struts (adding spacers back into my aftermarket struts to improve the ride) and now I just barely clear the bar without scraping. I have not observed any significant issues once I have passed the entrance clearance bar.

Note the rear struts are at a significant angle, and so a 3-inch shorter strut does not lower the roofline nearly that much. I am assuming I gained maybe 1/2 inch lower total height with my current setup.
Sponsored